429 identification

I might have an opportunity to purchase a 429, if it is one. However I have got some conflicting info from a few other places so thought I would try here.

I have some basic block numbers:

C8VE-A

From my own basic research it would show as:
1968 block
429 or 460

That is all I know.
I have two other part numbers, the water pump housing and original valve cover sticker but not sure any of that would help.

much thanks,

Do you know what the engine came from? below is all I could find.

8VE-A & E. First year of 385 series engine. 429 introduced in '68 Thunderbird as the “Thunderjet” 460
introduced into the '68 Lincoln line up
These heads have 75 to 77cc combustion chambers. They will give about 10.5 to 1 on pre '72 blocks. This
assuming factory type pistons
9.5 to 1 to 10 to 1 on later blocks with increased deck height.
Thermact-air boss and passages not drilled for 49 states emmissions.
Thermact-air boss is slightly smaller than on newer castings.
Like all of the BBF castings the exhaust port needs alot of help.
Used positive stop shouldered rocker studs and cast iron rail self aligning rocker arms 1.73 to 1 ratio

Can’t miss one. 7 bolt valve cover and thermostate housing in the front right on the intake.

Catlover, thanks for the info. Most of that I also found. Part of my issue is we dont know what it came out of. It is currently in an old 70’ Ford pickup.
I read the third letter in the block denotes the model of what the engine was made for like “S” for Thunderbird or “T” for truck. So since this is a “V”, does that mean Lincoln as that is what I found?
I think it is a 429 or 460 but not sure which?
From what I read you would have to actually open up the engine to check the crank shaft marking or measure the piston stroke?

Can’t miss one. 7 bolt valve cover and thermostate housing n the font right of the intake.
[/quote]

Love the pics! You have done a nice build.
I have two photos I will post tomorrow night after down load them from my phone.
Here is the thermostat housing number.
Not sure if you have a stock one

C8SE8505-E

Valve cover sticker-

C8AE-96485-B

See my reply above. I messed it up.

Both the 429 and the 460 have the same bore size 4.362". The castings are all the same for any era other than some special CJ 429 blocks in 1971 that you won’t find laying around.

So yes, measuring the stroke or looking at the casting number on the crank is your only option. Either way they are desirable.

actually the letter you’re referring to only means that was what it was originally designed for. 429/460 the only difference is the crank and pistons. Everything else is the same. 429 was build 68-72 only and mainly for use where a 7 liter engine was the max size. Once the Boss 429 was gone from NASCAR so was the 429. That and smog garbage did it in also. The crank is stamped for year and stroke once you’re in there, on the front counter weight. 4= 429, 2= 460
There is one big difference in the year and it’s in the crank hole for the torque convertor or manual trans bushing. Both the 429/460 up until mid 1970 had a larger 1 7/8" hole, (same convertor as the FEs) and after that a 1 3/8" hole. If running an auto, make sure which you have. Also check your Torque convertor bolt spacing, 10 3/8" or the larger 11 3/8" flexplate holes. Many choices for both and not a problem. Just something to be aware of.

Royce, thank you for confirming that. Seems strange Ford didn’t see a reason to more easily identify between the two. I guess if I do purchase it it will just be a suprise.

I was able to see it run although it has been sitting for years so the fuel line was not working and just fed the carb some juice.

What would be a fair price in you opinion?

Great info to know if I purchase it!
I will say that “V” designation question has been bugging me so it is good to know that it can still be either. But I guess it does bring up the question what it would have been in if not a Lincoln?
Where did Ford differentiate that as we know the Tbird and Truck designation.
Maybe it is just not that important. I am just trying to learn all this.

If I were buying one I would take it completely apart for inspection and measurement. That would take maybe 25 minutes with a cordless 1/2" drive impact, some sockets, a pair of rubber gloves, and some dial calipers. A pig in the poke engine that is all together I would not want to buy under any circumstances. A few Rubbermaid containers are handy for hardware and small parts.

Not sure where you live but prices vary greatly in different areas. Try looking on local Craigslist or call a machine shop or a junk yard to check prices for a pair of 429/460 heads, a 429 / 460 crankshaft, a 429 / 460 set of rods, to figure out value. I suspect you will toss the exhaust and intake manifolds.

The biggest difference with a “truck” 460 is the rods (CJ type and carbs). Dist probably curved different too. The rest is pretty standard.

With current pump gas being at 93 octane max… a lower compression option would be more desirable for a street engine. If strip competition is the goal, fuel choice might then be different. These Lima engines create a lot of torque. I have a 429 engine installed in a 70 Cougar.
Royce made good suggestions on cost research and inspection. Good advice… and swapping out the intake for an aluminum (lighter) performance version is a definite plus.

By the way, what are your plans for it?

You live in one of the most expensive places in the USA. I live in Tulsa, OK, one of the most inexpensive places to live in the USA. I know nothing about prices where you live.

I would be worried about the block being overbored and the crank being undersized so I would not be interested without taking it apart to inspect. If it passed inspection here a 429 might be worth a bit more than a 460 just because it is less seldom found But to a bracket racer a 460 is worth more. You can buy a complete running driving F150 or an RV with a 1970’s 460 around here for $1500. Not sure where you live.

Damn…that is one fine looking engine. What body is that in? It doesn’t look like 67-70 Cougar but my eyes are old. And what about the brake distribution block on the far left of the photo? Would like to hear more about that.

It’s in an 82 Zephyr. Fit very nicely. The real shiny one is going in an 68 Cougar when I get back from the body shop in a few months.

Royce, thanks as always for your input.
I hear you. I am in a situation where I am not able to take it apart to inspect it first. It sits in a 70 Ford pickup the owner will only sell as a whole package.
Asking price is $1500, truck & motor.
It would be a parts truck at best.
The best I could get was to see it start and run.
You are right, it would be a gamble.
I am in Southwest Washington state.
But, an Okie from my mom’s family being from Tulsa and I went to OSU.

Great question, I have a 68 xr7 I am returning now and since this was a 68 429 might be nice to put that in. I have never had a big block and always wanted one.
I am not into racing so it would just be cruising and local car shows etc. That brings up what other things I would need to upgrade if I went that direction rear end, brakes, etc. I haven’t got that far yet in my planning yet.

Since I’m looking at a 68 engine, I think that’s in the 385 family not Lima. To account for the extra torque, what mods did you need to do in your 70?
I haven’t thought that through yet.