50th Anniversary show at Ford World Headquarters C.A.T.S Cougar club/CCOA

Shouldn’t the f350 6.0 get closer to 16-18 on the hwy? My 2006 F350 gets 19mpg but has a few mods, you are welcome to use it.

My 2002 7.3 powered Excursion got just shy of 25 MPG on the hwy, while towing it was around 19. My 2012 F-350 with the 6.7 got 24 on the hwy, with 18.5 towing. I do not have a heavy foot, most of the time, which may also help with fuel economy.
Aggressiveness of tires will definitely effect fuel economy. A neighbour had an almost identical F-350 but his fuel economy was way less than mine. Some of it could be a difference in drivers, but I would bet money that it was because of his lift kit and big mudders.

I drove my 67 Mustang to the Charlotte show and saw the aftermath. The short wheel base surley didnt help I always felt the Bronco was kinda squrilley to tow with. The longer the wheelbase the better the towing is it is just fact. As for the uhaul with surge brakes, I would not be comfortable going on some of the long down hill runs thru the mountains with pressure activated brakes especially with a short wheelbase vehicle. Mfg tow ratings are based on avarage roads and hills not mountain passes. I also wonder about the heat of the rear tires that hold 35 PSI when towing a heavy trailer long distances at a time.

I’m sure many people have towed heavy loads with the X5. Hell, I see all kinds of undersized and short wheel base vehicles pulling heavy loads but those guys have bigger balls than I do. I don’t like taking chances with my cars and that’s what I’d feel like with the X5. If you’re comfortable with it and confident in the towing characteristics of your X5 then go for it. I just wouldn’t be willing to do it-particularly with a GTE.

Chris is right regarding gas mileage. It’s not like you’re going to do this every week. You’ll probably pay less in extra gas by using your pickup than you will when you have to pay your insurance deductible.

Cost to get the 428 to Carslisle in $USD via roll-on roll-off

Export costs $500 customs clearance and wharf charges etc
Sea freight $995
Clearance US $450
Re-import Carnet $210
Transport Insurance $650
Insurance US 6 months $1200
Fuel 6000 miles @12mpg @ $3.00 $1500
Customs return $1200
Freight return $950

Total $7655
=$AUD $10,650

Plus airfares,meals and accommodation

Wow Leon - hope to see you at Carlisle!

• Phillip

Leon: if Boston is one of the avail. port options, you can ship it here if you want. The docks are like 1 mi east of my office, close to the airport, etc. I can probably grab it from the docks & store it at my home 'till you arrive.

Small world, no? Wendy apologizes for the 4 hours of traffic you encountered as a result :blush: It even made the evening news :blush: She was driving (no cracks now)…felt the trailer step out & hit the gas to try and pull it back, but that Bronco got tossed like a toy.

Epilogue: She bought an F350 diesel to replace the Bronco, the Mustang was fixed (still looks great).

Total $7655
=$AUD $10,650

Now that is some serious dedication to all things Cougar! Very inspiring!!! :slight_smile:

I am going to get some additional quotes, including east coast destinations. Still not sure if I will be able to afford it although, if I get any interest in selling it in the US, ir might be worth it.

Last weekend I attended a club meeting for the SoCal Cougar Club and had the privilege of sitting near 3 people who were discussing attending with cars. Two people were discussing a hauling company, one was trailering and one was going to drive.

It would be time effective to ship and fly verses the 6 days of travel.

Next weekend at the CCOA Western National event I hope to be able to discuss with attendees in person and gauge interest for the 2017 events. If any of the events have registration forms of information to be handed out, I am happy to distribute it.

It is hard to miss this once in a lifetime event at Ford World Headquarters. Once registration opens it will be amazing to see the response. I hope as Phillip does that people traveling long distances can attend Carlisle and Dearborn.

It will be neat to see who attends the events in 2017 celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Mercury Cougar.

Don it may be the year for your Nation wide tour bus…

Leon I hope you have a chance to make the journey, even cooler with a right hand drive 428CJ!

Hilton just opened up a direct link to a web address for hotel reservation. You will be directed right to the block of rooms we have reserved for the 50th at Ford world headquarters. The price and rooms block off are good for 3 nights before June 9 and 3 nights after June11 if your travels plans are for a longer period.

http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/groups/personalized/D/DTTDBDT-CCC-20170609/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG

Brian, do you think you could contact the hotel and see if they would expand their rate to accommodate those that would be heading to Dearborn directly after Carlisle. I was looking at the Double Tree site and it will not give the special rate for any of the Friday to Sunday if I try to book earlier days. Maybe they would give the rate from Monday or Tuesday (July 5 or 6) through the weekend for those that are interested in exploring the area in the days leading up to the event as well.

Scott,

I don’t think it would be a problem getting that rate for the added days as well. Contact Mimi direct: Mimi Sion direct at: mimi.sion@hilton.com or call her direct 313-982-3983. She use to be a Cougar owner, and is very accommodating for us Cougar owners at the 50th.

Thanks Brian.

Mimi at the Double Tree was a great help. She extended the discounted rate at the hotel, for me, from June 5th through to the 12th for the 2017 Dearborn event.
Anyone wanting to stay outside the show dates should call or e-mail her to set things up for you.
I am still in the planning stages for our trip, but I know I have my accommodations set for Dearborn, even if things change on my end I can change my hotel dates without penalty.

It is great to hear the hotel is flexible and able to adjust the dates as necessary. The 2017 events are quickly approaching. I can’t wait to see which event will set attendance records and what new cas will come out of hiding at the various events. Based on logistics there will be great cars appearing all over North America.

This will truly be a once in a lifetime year to celebrate. The Mecury Cougar will only turn 50 once!

http://www.CougarClub.org will have all of the event information posted.

I’m looking forward to the next issue of ATSOTC to see all of the registration forms and information about the events.

It is a great time to be a Cougar Enthusiest

Good morning all:

ONLINE PAYMENTS FOR THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY SHOW IS NOW OPEN: http://WWW.CATSCCC.COM

The following link will open a PDF copy of the Attendee Registration brochure for the 50th Anniversary Show in Dearborn, MI., June 9th-12th 2017.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/63c308_682d1994c6314e2fa64503f2f424e0c7.pdf

Please download and print your registration form and return with payment to reserve your spot today! We look forward to seeing everyone there and hope to hit well over 100 Cougars at the Ford World Headquarters. For additional information, please visit http://www.catsccc.com

Logo Design by Phillip Payne - ProPayne Graphics

Scott, that logo is kickass! This HAS to be made into a grill badge for participants!

Might I suggest a way to register and pay online through PayPal. Lots of people don’t have checks anymore. Online is very convenient for participants.