67-68 front chin spoiler

After thinking about this tonight, since there really isn’t any major support these rods are doing, could one cut them, take out a piece about 2", and JB Weld the pieces together, I mean they are just bracing a piece of plastic??

Any thoughts by anyone??

The spoiler will bend if you don’t brace it. I have 69 Camaro spoiler on my 69 convertible and I split one running it without the braces

I’m not suggesting running it without the braces, just shortned braces so I could attach the spoiler to the flange point of the panel to the frame, spoiler would still be supported, by a shorter brace, 2 of them, question remains, could this be accomplished by using JB Weld.

I’m not healthy enough to go wandering around to find a machinist/welder, with this virus going around, I’ve battened down the hatches, I’m in that group that is the danger group, 3 bouts of cancer, one lung, no running around outside for me. Besides, are they considered a necessity business , or are they all closed up right now.

No one has an opinion on using JB Weld???

If your asking if you can cut and shorten the metal braces then stick them back together with jb weld the answer to that one is no, it will not hold up. If you go that route you should actually have it welded.

Thank you for your input, is this from first hand experience? As I’ve had great results with JB Weld every time I’ve used it, I would think it should work, as I can imagine there will be too great a force transmitted, I could be wrong, anyone else have an opinion I mean, at this time, I can’t imagine going around looking for someone to weld, this virus is too dangerous to mess with.

yes this is from experience both personal and professionally. While JB weld is great for some applications it is not used for what your trying to do here but by all means give it a shot. The worst that can happen is it doesn’t pan out and you have to have it welded. The nice thing about these spoilers is they are cheap. It doesn’t hurt your wallet too much if you simply hate how it turns out and you scrap the idea.

Thanks for your insight, guess I’ll try all of the different ideas first, before I start wandering around trying to find a welder. Not my idea of a fun thing to do wiih this virus.

You cut 'em ship them to me with clear instructions as to what you want and I will weld them for you… I haven’t left my place in 7 weeks so I am probably the most COVID free welder around LOL… Seriously though, all it will cost you is shipping to and fro.

I drilled two new holes in the Firebird spoiler and have mine in using the two lower valance bolts and a center rod thats triangulated under the rad support … it was super cheap, comes off quick and hasn’t fallen off…yet

That is what I was thinking, any photos of your work from underneath? Assuming the Firebird and Camaro spoilers are the same?

Same…Firebird and Camaros share parts. Sorry No under pics.

I’m digging that Pontiac Wagon!

Has any one tried the obvious, a mustang spoiler ,given that under the skin they share a common structure?
thus the bolt on points would be the same ?

While that is true, I think the shape of the valance panel would be a problem, others might know more details.

Thanks local hero. Cougars on the back burner while I’m waiting for parts. I just put the rebuilt engine / trans back in the wife’s safari wagon and hopefully I’ll get it back on the road soon.

Nice to see another X-Code too!

Yes, but my X code is slowly turning into my old GT from high school…
My s code is too far gone so I’m pumping the best items into it… I can’t take all this stufff sitting on the shelves anymore

it will be an XS!

Another John with a cougar…

Any chance while you’re taking photos, to take some of the attachment of the spoiler??

Here are some pics.
1/2 flat stock that I drilled a hole in on 1 side to bolt to the spoiler and bent up and back to hold into the core support. It gets pulled foward by the force of the spoiler and holds it in place for now
I drilled 2 new holes in the spoiler to hold it onto the lower cowl bolts.
I have 2 other 1/2 inch flat stock mounts for the ends but I haven’t finished those yet. They will also use the lower cowl bolt and bolt to the lower outer spoiler hole.

I think I have 25 dollars total spent