68 Console Pad Recreation

So I decided to make a new center console pad to replace the original that no longer fits. A while back I retrofit the 6 speed 6R80 automatic transmission behind the old FE. The shifter is a much different shape and there was no way I was going to cut up the original pad. I have been chipping away at this for months now but it’s finally coming together.

1 Like

Found a good way to attached vinyl to the foam. The ends are getting tricky but I’m taking my time and being patient.

Last update picture for now.:+1:

3 Likes

Nice work.

1 Like

Love the efforts here to take something like this on!
I am sure it will look as good or better than the original.

1 Like

Thanks for documenting and posting - looking forward to see how it turns out!

• Phillip
1 Like

Awesome Idea! I love stuff like this. keep up the good work!

1 Like

That will be incredible if you can pull it off, nice work so far!

1 Like

Nice work, never thought about a project like this. I would also really like to hear more about that trans swap, and what was involved. Just looking at the shifter I would have thought to be a manual trans?

1 Like

Thanks. Here’s the thread in regards to the transmission swap. The shifter was inspired by Big Daddy Roth, Rat Fink etc…

Here’s the update. I really like how it is turning out. Not “perfect” but a great improvement/addition to the interior. Next steps are to anchor the rear section and make a boot to cover the shifter base. Lastly find the correct color/dye for the replacement upper console pad.

Here’s a shot with the ashtray installed. Underneath is a plate with two #10 2" screws that secure the pad. Similar to how it was done from the factory.

Wow…looks really good so far. Nice work!

1 Like

That is absolutely wonderful!!!

1 Like