68 R Code

Coming out of paint this week!

Awesome! Will it be able to make any of the CJ 50th shows this summer?

• Phillip

I have maybe 3 - 4 months of work so no way. I am hoping to have it ready for MCACN in November.

A great show (obviously) -

Good luck and post more pics of the progress.

• Phillip

Looks great! Did you paint the top of the roof? I know it is getting a vinyl top.

Fantastic! Hopefully I’ll see it in November.

Looks amazing. I can’t wait to see it completed.

ATSOTC article for its history would be fantastic.

www.CougarClub.org

It appears Phillip may have had you in mind with the new shirts.

Yes, the top of the roof was painted when they did all the door jams and inside the trunk.

Looking great Royce. I look forward to seeing more pictures.
Steven

Looking good!

Lookin Good !

I Deleted post from the thread.

Looks great…

A few progress photos. I cleaned the rear axle with mineral spirits and brushes and rags so that I could document the markings.

Then used a wire wheel in my Makita grinder to remove all the surface rust and paint. The rear axle housing got DP90LF while the center housing got DP40LF. The yoke was hit with clear after all the various paint markings were applied.

The springs went to be re - arched and got new pads and a set of new spring eyes. The underside of the car was wire wheeled and cleaned with mineral solvent to remove years of Georgia red dirt and mud dauber nests. Then the underside got new seam sealer and the sound deadener and undercoating were reapplied as close as I could get to the way it would have looked. The floor plugs got resealed with new seam sealer after being cleaned with a wire brush. I installed them back the way they were originally, notice the spray pattern of the original sound deadener was from the rear of the car, which was done again in a similar fashion.Wiring harnesses got cleaned and repaired. Many individual parts got wire wheeled or paint stripped or soaked in Evaporust depending on what they needed before finishing.

As of this morning I am ready to install the gas tank. The trunk lid has been properly adjusted. A new seal has been installed. The back of the car is nearly complete.

Does anyone have a build sheet for a '68 R code with automatic? I am wondering what color the ID stripes should have been. I can tell where they were, but the color is impossible to determine other than a yellow stripe at the rear.

I suspect that a late '68 390 would have the same drive shaft. It is 4" at the larger diameters but tapers to 3" at each end so that it can use the same yokes as the 427 and 390 cars built earlier in the year with the 3" drive shaft tube.

Royce, when you installed the rear axle under the car, did you do it as a complete assembly with the leaf springs attached to the axle and then bolting it to the car?

It even had wheels on it, but the U bolts / nuts were just started. I rolled the whole thing on its wheels under the car, connected the front spring eyes, then lifted it so the rear shackles could be attached. After both leaf springs were bolted in place I tightened the bolts securing the U bolts to the shock plates.