68 standard, just a classy driver!

Nice job! I imagine it’s much more fun to drive now with the 4-spd. Plus the money you saved can go to other areas of the car. I’ve been looking into a T5 swap myself and it definitely has become a costly endeavor.

It certainly is more fun and it just feels right. The 3 spd always felt mismatched for the engine. The 4spd is definitely a better match.

You have an auto so that adds to more expense and work to do the T5 swap, maybe an AOD is something to consider? Then again swapping to an AOF might be just a costly as the T5?

Good work D. Glad you got that pilot bearing thing worked out. I recall mine doing something similar to that once I got to driving it. I had put rebuilt motor in it, new clutch, tranny, etc. Then it sat for years only getting pulled out occasionally to work on things and never really driven. Once I did get it done and started driving it the clutch was acting goofy. I guess I attributed it to surface rust on machined parts. It eventually has squared itself away. I should pull the cover at some point and do a visual.
Hey you need to change your signature line now :slight_smile:

Im so close I can start tasting the success of really being able to drive this rather then just around the neighborhood. Its just too damn hot here currently to be able to get much done but what excuse is that when I changed the awning on my toyhauler in 116* heat last weekend :laughing:

No matter how slow I think the project is going I always try and find a little something to work on to keep the ball moving at least a little bit. I have been working on the package tray and stuck some led bulbs in the reverse lights last weekend. I still need to replace the reverse light switch but the mount needs modified to fit the shift housing.

However I have made a decision on the seats and placed an order for the rear seat covers, still waiting to order the fronts as Im waiting for the right deal to save a few bucks. Im going to go with the TMI universal fit front seats. They are all new replacement and I will modify the stock seat tracks to fit them. For the rear I found a discounted clearance mustang seat cover to match the pattern and material of the front seats. Since the bottom is not going to fit the cougar seat I bought some extra material to have an upholster modify to fit. Also Ill have the package tray wrapped in the same material so it should all match well. For a center console I may still build one or just pick up a TMI full console and have it covered in the same material as the seats to match. I like the idea of building one since I can either add a section for gauges or ac vents, etc. That can all be done later however. The seats will be a charcoal black in color so it should hopefully break up the all black interior a little bit and give the interior an updated look along with increased comfort. Overall cost should be about the same compared to going back with original stuff. I would love to go with something custom but just didnt want to drop that kind of cash.

This weekends project was very rewarding, A big step in completing the interior is getting the seats installed. Fedex decided they only wanted to drop off one of my seats on Friday and the other is due for delivery today but they are kinda enough to at least choose the driver side!

If I didnt know better I would think these seats are meant for mustang/cougar. In fact they are TMIs universal pro series seats in charcoal black, as mentioned previously I have the rear mustang covers coming for the rear that I plan to modify to fit the cougar so everything should match pretty well. I fully expected to need to fabricate some mounts to adapt the seats to the sliders or use the included sliders and adapt them to fit the floor. All that was needed was to drill one hole in the factory sliders and everything bolted right up. These seats reline and fold forward enough for easy access to the rear seats.

Comparison of the two, sizing is very very close overall

Disassembled the sliders completely to clean up all moving surfaces and relube everything. I used mainly steel wool and some teflon grease and they work better then new. Also needed to bent the slider adjuster down a little bit to clear the seat.

Overall much more comfortable then the beat down factory seats. I like the extra bolstering compared to oem as well as with this style I believe it matches the stock interior panels very well. Taking for quick spin around the block also confirms my seat of the pants comfort check. Sorry pellets4fuel, no more t-shirt seat covers! :mrgreen: I actually like the lower height as well, I am not a tall person but the factory seat always seemed a bit high and needing to work the pedals my thighs end up hitting the wheel which is always annoying, of course these will get a tad higher when there is carpet and insulation installed but I like the height better then original.

One small issue is the seat does touch the arm rest very lightly however these are repro arm rests and as you can see its not sitting flush against the door panel, the arm rest itself is warped and has been since I bought it. I might try and replace it. The other door arm rest is not warped and sits nice and flush so I dont think it will be an issue on that side. If I am seated in my preferred position it does not touch.

I like them, and the styling seems to match the door panels pretty well. I also agree the factory seats are high, I always feel like I have to squeeze under the steering wheel to get in the drivers seat. Coming along nicely!

The styling was what I was most concerned with. I know it wouldn’t be perfect but close enough to look at home in the car. I could have had covers custom made for these in the right material texture and pattern but its big bucks. I got word my rear mustang covers should be here this week so Im excited to see the rear seat get done. Hopefully my plan for modifying them works as I took a little bit of a gamble with the mustang version.

After sitting in it a little more I think I might try raising the seat about 3/4" I have some spacers meant for diesel turbos that will be perfect for that. Im going to try with the passenger seat first and compare the two. Its much easier to raise a seat then lower it so I went for the lowest I could get it first. Carpet will change it a little too.

I picked up a vintage AZ license plate that would have been issued when the car was new so going to try and register that first before going with the historic plates. As soon as interior is put together I can apply for classic car insurance and get this baby on the street legally! That will start a whole new batch of projects and upgrades as I feel Ill find more I need to redo as I start drive it for real. So far my list is substantial with EFI and cooling system upgrades are at the top so I can be ready for A/C down the road. Powersteering is leaving alot to be desired so far and not too stoked about granada brakes up front, etc etc.

but first I need to worry about seat belts! :mrgreen:

The rear covers showed up Friday, they would be easy to install except the bottom needs modified to fit. I’ll drop them off at the upholster this week.

Upholster made short work of these but they did require more work then anticipated to fit the cougar seats. The seat bottom is not only deeper but it’s wider too. This required the sections on each side to be removed and remade to fit. Good thing I bought more material then I thought I needed. Material was also added in the front and rear of the seat to accommodate the depth. It’s interesting how much different the seat bottom is compared to the mustang just to accommodate the extra length in the car. The seat back is same and did not require any modifications to fit the cover. It would be really cool if TMI started making cougar specific covers, surprised they don’t since it wouldn’t take much since they already do everything for a mustang. I imagine there just isn’t any demand to justify it.

You can see the added material here, it blends nicely and one installed it won’t be noticeable at all.

Completed seat, can’t wait to see it with everything installed. Very happy with the results and IMO updates the overall look while increasing the comfort level.

For me there comes a point in my projects where you see everything coming together and it renews the excitement you had on the day you started working on it. This weekend was that moment of excitement for me. Simply seeing the car with the rear seat sitting where it should be after kicking it around the garage forever was very satisfying with a realization Im getting close to saying I have a running driving car. Sure I have driven it in some form or the other in every stage of the progress but not a real drive so its not the same. Remember I have never seen this car assembled. I got it as someones unfinished project. Only thing not taken apart was the drivetrain and powertrain so seeing it in this state is putting it into prospective how close Im getting to my goal. Of course I have a long list of things left to do or upgrades I want to make but if I can enjoy driving it during that time will make it just that much more enjoyable. Hopefully this weekend I get a couple hours to work on getting the rest of the sound deadening installed along with the carpet. Also need to sort out the seat belts too. Guess its time to start shopping for insurance!

I worked on the interior install more then my wife would have liked the past few days so its a surprised she didn’t make me sleep in the garage! If she would have I would have had a nice interior to sleep in however! :laughing: This was one of those projects that with every part installed leads to another then another so I couldn’t bring myself to stop and leave it for another week. I needed to see it together! It is not 100% complete as I need to install the front kick panels, find a solution for the shifter boot and trim, steering wheel, and finish the door sills but Ill call it a success and didnt get too much of the scowl from the wife!

Package tray took entirely too long to build! I have a solid day in cutting, trimming, wrapping, sound deadening and install. What always seems like a simple project turns into a much longer deal. I have to remind myself I am not a trim guy and while I always talk myself into it I really do hate dealing with wrapping vinyl and can never seem to get it to stay where I want it. Thankfully once installed my mistakes are well hidden.

Lighting makes this look more grey then it is. The tray is the same color as the seats which is a charcoal black. Door panels and quarter panels are a satin black

I am not overly fond of the logos on the seats but that is my only negative. Comfort is great, easy to install and I will add headrests as some point

This one shows the contrast in blacks pretty well

Looking good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0AuipqPqsU

Dude that looks killer, nice job! The seats match the stock interior enough to give it a subtle restomod look, without trying to look too pro-touring. Good job on the package tray too, came out nice.

Thanks guys. Im really happy with how it turned out. I really do like the cougar decor interior(even over the XR7 :think: ) I did not want to venture too far from its styling but wanted something more comfortable to drive.

One more thing I want to add is a center console. There are few premade ones out there but they are pretty expensive and not exactly how I would want it. I want to integrate a/c vents into the console and maybe a space for the eventual efi screen. Also would like to have hidden USB ports an Leds for floor lighting as well. I think I may try and build one myself then have it covered in the same material as the seats so it ties everything together.

I think pretty quick I am going to get it plated and insured so I can actually drive her. Shake down any issues that Im sure will pop up and tying up some of the loose ends. Here in AZ the weather is cooling a tad so our non ac season is upon us :laughing: The project is never complete and I still have a list of things to do along with upgrades I want to make before I get it to where I really want it to be.

Ii can’t tell you how much I’m loving the project, the workmanship & innovation. Seeing the pics of your boy under there working w/you brings back memories of similar good times my kids (now 20, 18 & 15, lol).

I appreciate that man! I know it does not fit everyones taste on either spectrum. While not original its also not heavily modified or custom either. It falls somewhere in the middle and who knows how it will end up in the years to come. My goal was to put together a driver and change things as I go along to suit my taste even if that means doing something twice. Getting the car in pieces and reassembling it has been a fun challenge especially only having early mustang experience or much more modern vehicle experience, however its all nuts and bolts at its roots. I have really enjoyed getting my kids involved as they get older. Even if its simply letting them pretend to drive

Also they are all to eager to climb into the trunk and help! :laughing:

LOL, shiftin gears! My kids had a ball “pretend driving” back in the day. I would chock the wheels on the '67 & let 'em have at it. :laughing:

Not much new moving forward recently, been busy with family stuff almost every weekend since mid September. I do plan to get insurance and plate it ASAP. That will let me shake down the cobwebs better. It will be a huge accomplishment just to have it on the road legally and start to drive it for real. I also plan to help my
Dad install an Holley efi on his 67 mustang soon too which will be a nice trial run before doing the same to my car.

I did pickup an xr7 cluster to modify with aftermarket gauges. I have a pretty good idea on how to make it work and look pretty clean. Thinking speedhut gauges I can customize to give a factory style look. Also planing to paint or wrap the wood grain face to match my Interior.

I do need the passenger side dash section however. The one I picked up is a little rougher then I had hoped. Really just need the main backing panel section. Everything else is ok.

They are available, in bare form and then you can make them anything you want. I had mine redo with 140 speedo and 8K rpm tach and converted to handle electronic ignition.