'70 XR7 PS Fluid STILL Leaking!

Hello all,

At this juncture I have had the PS pump, all lines, master cylinder and cylinder boot kit replaced. When the car runs regularly it is fine. Has been in winter storage for the last few weeks and when they went to move it had a sizeable pool of PS fluid after starting/moving it (was sitting for about 10 days prior to them moving it).

Any idea what could be causing this? Appears to be only after sitting for a while…does pressure build up over time somehow and cause the leak upon starting??? The whole system has basically been replaced. Perplexed!

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Joe V.

Just have figure out where it is leaking tighten those fittings they need to be tight.
Put a new peice of cardboard down so you can see where it coming from.

1 Like

Hey Joe, Sadly this issue is a big one for Ford power steering of our era. The answer to your question is difficult.
Take a paper towel & locate the leak by touching all connections & seals. Then we can help further. It could be a simple as tightening a fitting/hose, or having the ram rebuilt/ inspected. I’ve posted a easy fix & have a “how to” on my site dealing with worn seats

http://www.cougarbill.com/how-to-fix-things

This is a start, so keep us posted.

1 Like

If everything is fitted and tightened this is not an issue. Mine hasn’t leaked anywhere in years.

2 Likes

Thanks Bill…I appreciate it…going to come out of storage on Thursday and back to the shop that installed everything…want them to check it over fully. I am hoping just a loose fitting but just strange this has happened a few times now when it sits and then gets started…almost every part in the system has been replaced. It was fine for about a week after I got it back last time with regular driving…we shall see!

I agree…totally perplexing…hopefully just a loose fitting…thanks!

Are you sure its power steering and not transmission?

When the car sits for extended time, ATF will drain from the torque converter and that can overflow the pan if you have a bad seal on the dipstick tube or shift lever. The leak would be while it’s sitting, though, not on start-up. That part is perplexing either way.

2 Likes

Sounds like the dipstick tube, or possibly the overflow vent doing it’s job when the car sits for a long time. It the leak is coming from the overflow you just need to drive more often.

1 Like

In the same area as the other Power Steering leaks I have had unfortunately…this was after they moved it after sitting for about 10 days…thanks!

Seems like an awful lot for an overflow??? Thanks!

Are you turning the steering wheel with the engine not running? For example to move the car by pushing….

1 Like

No, it is in storage for the winter in a heated, climate controlled facility…they were moving it after about 10 days of sitting…thanks!

The location seems to point to the pump area. I’ve dealt with the pump leaking from the housing to pump & a bad connection at the high press hose. The 70 is opposite of the 69 & earlier setups.
The fitting has trouble sealing at the pump. I resolved this by inserting a flair washer (made of copper). The pump housing leak requires removing the pump. Remove the housing, replace the o-ring sealing the housing to pump & the fiber washer at center of the rear of the housing. Hope this helps!

1 Like

If it was the transmission overflow the puddle would be much larger. The position indicates it is more likely PS fluid.

1 Like

Thanks Bill…going into the shop tomorrow…will let you know what they find…hopefully a solution!

Joe V.

Heres the link to the washers for anybody wanting to get some. These fit inside the pump high pressure port where the hose goes into.Price went from $14 to $25…Quantity 10 pack

1 Like

Did you use the original ford type F trans fluid in the pump?

1 Like

Yes sir. Thanks!

Joe V.

Hi Bill,

So, my guy cannot find any leaks and it looks like the pump is properly sealed…however when it sits somehow pressure seems to be building up because it spits fluids upon starting…any idea what could be causing this? At this juncture, virtually the entire system/components have all been replaced…thanks in advance for your advice! We do have another pump to put on there if it is faulty…could that be it???

Joe V.

Interesting. To clarify it spits out the filler tube? If so I would think the pump has issues. Seems like pressure relief valve is bad. I’ve not torn one down, but have a few kits sitting waiting for me to try…
I guess I would swap pump, see if this still happens.

1 Like