'70 XR7 PS Fluid STILL Leaking!

I’ve had the same experience as Royce with other fluids. Scored pump vanes and cylinder wall were the result. You might get lucky, but I’ll never again use anything besides Type F ATF.

1 Like

Got it…seems like if it were a sealant issue/true leak that would work by thickening the fluid but for a crack or fracture (if that is what it is) that won’t do the trick…thanks!

Any fluid that is advertised as a stop leak solution won’t. It’s simply a scheme to take your money. The real solution is to fix what the problem is.

2 Likes

Clean up the area best you can then add UV dye to the fluid.
With a blacklight it will be very obvious where the leaks are.
Local auto zone type shops have these kits.

1 Like

MAY 2023 Update: Well, after months and months of leaking PS fluid (and parts and $$$$) this group was right all along to go with “original”…lesson learned albeit an expensive one!

My Mustang/Cougar expert in upstate CT found a true '69 replacement PS pump and with some altered '70 lines coming off of it and the proper hoses I am almost 2 weeks dry as a bone! His theory was that the 2 previous pumps bought from RockAuto were just ever so slightly out of spec (and overtightened) and did not provide a proper seal causing air to get into the system.

It is SO nice to just DRIVE the car and not have to worry about leaking fluid all over the place…thanks to all for your input!

Joe V.