70 XR7 "Q" code 4 speed convertible project

https://classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/download/file.php?id=22260

I own this one. Non Ram Air car.
70 Cougar convert r code marti.pdf (1.94 MB)

Though not an SCJ, thatā€™s a pretty awesome trim combo + 4-speed. I assume no hood scoop?

Probably super low since there were only 7 Q codes, 3 4spds & 4 automatics in 1970.

Hey Puma, where did you find that info on the 70 XR7 vert scjā€™s with auto/4spdā€™s? Marti? Iā€™ve looked and couldnā€™t find a breakdown.

Heā€™s saying thereā€™s 7 standard Q-code ragtops, with the number of those with the Drag Pack currently unknown to us.

Martiā€™s Cougar by the Numbers book has that info on p.97 at the bottom. But like Diego says, it doesnā€™t show how many of these 7 had the drag pak.

Exactly, thanks.

Well, I got the window sticker today. Iā€™m a little confused about the ā€œhigher ratio axleā€ line. The Marti report lists the car built with a 3:91 but this has me confused. Also, the ā€œship toā€ box at the bottom appears as if it never went thru a dealer. Hmmm. Anyone have any insight?

Standard ratio with the 428CJ is 3.50:1. So the next higher available ratio is 3.91:1. That ratio triggered the Drag Pak.

As Royce stated the ā€œHigher Ratio Axleā€ will appear on any 1970 window sticker / invoice that does not have the base axle for that configuration.

Your vehicle was an Executive order as indicated by the 275-E-202 W Carlin line. Based on the second line in the ā€œSold Toā€ I would say that W Carlin was an employee in the Marketing Services department. Many cars originally delivered to Ford employees would be ā€œdealer preppedā€ at the Central Office Building Garage and then picked up by the employee.

Have you also ordered the Eminger invoice?

If the 428 had optional Air Conditioner the standard axle ratio would be 3:00 to 1. In that case you could have ordered the option of a 3.25:1 ratio with or without Traction Lok. So a car with428CJ, A/C and higher ratio called out on the window sticker or invoice with the 3.25:1 ratio would also fit this description.

I ordered the window sticker and the Eminger invoice at the same time but it hasnā€™t arrived yet.

Well, I finally got around to the lower arms.

Not done yet but had the paint mixed and didnā€™t want to waste it. The hardest part was trying to make that paint line straight so as to look dipped, letā€™s face it, who has a 5 gallon bucket of paint to just dip in! Next up is to push in new bushings and new boots. Is there any secret to getting the ball joint out to replace the cork gasket? Or is it just brute force and ignorance to bend the tabs?

1 Like

You can use a bucket of water and pour a small amount of paint in it. The paint will float and it will coat the part before it gets wet. I havenā€™t done this personally, but Iā€™ve seen the results of many guys on one of the Mustang sites. It really works.

1 Like

I just read this from the beginning. Very special car and youā€™re doing a great job with it.

1 Like

Progress is slow , but still moving.

1 Like

fabulous car, keep us informed.

1 Like

Well, Ivā€™e posted a couple pictures of the progress being made albiet slow. Its been a while since Iā€™ve accomplished much besides spend more money in the restoration rabbit hole. Finally put the diff and springs together (took 20 min) and a few beers (not Bud Light). The weather is getting nice out so that excuse in dead stick. This project started 20 plus years ago, whats the hurry right? Well, Pops is not getting any younger and that in and of itself is the reason to get the fire lit, or maybe MAPP gas would be more like it. lol Next up is to get it off the spit and on jack stands to put the rear end back under it. more to comeā€¦

1 Like

You need to track down that shirt and fanny pack first before you take a final picture. Iā€™m not sure where you are on that ā€œstache,ā€ but Iā€™m sure the shirt and pack with that cat is plenty to recreate the moment. Iā€™ll echo the peanut gallery and say what an amazing cougar you have here. Rare as rare can be in many angles of this story. I think you will love how it turns out. Do you plan on white or black or other color top to accent your body paint?

I like that picture of the pedals and heater box. Supports my theory that all Cougars were built by having those two components move down the line on jigs and the entire car assembled around them :wink:

1 Like