70 XR7 "Q" code 4 speed convertible project

I sent you some pics in a PM.
Jon

Well, I finally got around to the tilt steering column. Surprisingly enough, the fire didn’t destroy the column beyond repairs. I completely tore it down, cleaned and cleaned, used a junkyard column for small donor parts. New switches and refinishing brought it back to life! I included some before and after pics. Next up, Phoenix needs brakes!

2 Likes

Very nice work - looks great!

2 Likes

Well, getting the brakes operational was a challenge. Rebuilt booster from Booster Steve and fresh master cylinder were the easy part. Leaks at the proportioning valve had me throwing tools! It kept leaking out the switch hole. I must have taken it apart a dozen times trying to figure out what I did wrong. Thank the lord the motor wasn’t in the way!! Come to find out, the brass collar on the brass piston must be fully pushed down in the bore and then the square cut seal pushed fully down on top of the collar, this can only be done with a toothpick or something tiny… On the plus side, no leaks at my flares! I used a vacuum pump to bleed the brakes to prevent fights with my wife lol!!! Phoenix now has pedal!

3 Likes