A Mustang for soccer moms?

It’s actually a Mach One. Even more insulting considering it was a performance icon of the Mustang. It’s disgusting.

I’m trying to be offended, but find it hard to give a crap about this.

Soccer moms need lovin’ too, and a big chunk of the car-buying populace is in love with cute utes. I’m seeing a ton of Teslas around, I guess Ford wants to get in on that action, and is leveraging one of its most recognizable brands to help.

What do I care what the less attractive sister looks like these days.

Less attractive step sister? I still like Cougars, despite them not having the value or looks…lol

Still like Cougars ? Isn’t it an unwritten requirement for a Cougar page…lol

Let’s see: 459 horsepower/612 pound-feet of torque, zero to 60 in under four seconds w/300 miles of range.

Still don’t see the outrage. Are there not enough fake plastic scoops for the Mustang crowd?

Nothing fake on my Shelby. All scoops are functional. It also doesn’t look like a soccer mom’s mini-van. Ford must have ran out of better ideas. Chinese behind the stupidity?
-Keith

It’s not about the performance. God knows the Mustang has had several periods of “non-performance” in its history.
It’s about putting the name Mustang on a stationwagon (aka Mazda CX).

:poke:

I definitely don’t see the Mustang station wagon point, now if you used the Cougar station wagon… :poke: :laughing:

Steven

Did they make Shelby’s after '66?

EXACTLY. Cougar folk had to make peace with this notion in the 70’s. But then again, we always were ahead of our time vs. our Mustang brethren. :slight_smile:

Yes, they did. I am not a fan of the 65-66 cars. Too small and zero creature comforts in the 65. Not to mention 67 was the best looking year of all of and in in stock trim was a second faster than the previous two years of vehicles. Don’t call it an Eleanor either!

The Cougar wasn’t ahead of it’s time, it was more of a passenger car than it ever was a performance vehicle. Longer wheel base, heavier and many creature comforts. I still like the early body styles none the less. The Cougar has actually been a parts car for the Mustang since day one. If you question this, look at the back of my Shelby…LOL

67 mustang has to be my favorite mustang too but its all too common to see them on the road which is why I like the cougar. Its unique and you dont see them too often since mustang guys like to steal all their parts over the years :mrgreen:

I think the biggest thing this Mach E has stirred up has been by having the name mustang attached. I think everyone can agree the vehicle alone is very promising but maybe should have had its own name.

Just wait until the bronco comes out, going to have all the bronco guys worked up being a midsized ranger IFS chassis with a 4 banger under the hood.

The Mustang has become a me too car like the camaro everybody’s got one and no mustang ever got the beastie 427 but the mustang guy always stole it.

Those are T-Bird tail lights on the Shelby. If it were not for the Falcon the Mustang would have never existed. If it were not for the Mustang the Cougar would never have existed. It is interesting to note that Shelby made the '67 and '68 a lot more like the Cougar and a lot less like the average Mustang. The '69 Shelby almost got the Cougar dash. Cougar and Shelby were very much on the same wave length from '67 on. In '68 the XR7-G and the Shelby Mustang were both being completed in the same facility and the G parts all carried Shelby part numbers.

IIRC, "68 got T bird taillights, '67 got '67 cougar taillights without the grills.

It’s got 4 doors and a hatch-back. If it’s not a stationwagon, then it’s an SUV. Either way, it’s not a real Mustang.
Does it cry out “I am sporty!” …certainly no more than any other SUV / crossover. Does it cry out “I represent freedom!” …no more than any other SUV or crossover. Those are two things that made the Mustang iconic.

Another would be the affordability ~ a label that you really can’t put on a vehicle that starts at $50k (that’s the Mach-E) vs $27k for a base Mustang (the real one, not the SUV). That’s not even counting the addition of a charging station at your home. …which assumes that you own a home to install a charging station in to begin with. What if you are renting? Where you gonna put your charging station? In the apartment carport? Hmm…
Also, next time you drive through your own neighborhood, look at the number of people who don’t / can’t actually park IN their garage… where will they install a charging station? At the curb? in the middle of the driveway? I suppose those are options, although not the ideal ones. Not to mention the additional cost to make your charging station “remote” from the home system.

Not saying that EV’s have no future - they certainly do. But they aren’t going to take over the world for quite a while. For now, they are just a virtue signal for rich people. I just wish they hadn’t used the Mustang name for such a frivolous purpose (i.e. under the delusion that it would entice more buyers to the vehicle).

I’m totally with Mike B on this. Putting the Mustang name on a 4-door SUV is every bit the travesty now that putting the Cougar name on a faux-wood paneled station wagon was in the '70s.

Sadly enough, even Porsche has SuVs. The first time I heard, come on guys, we’ll take the Porsche, I thought my friend was insane because I thought it was a boxster or something like that, not an SUV.

Here’s something even more scary.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/18458-1980-chevrolet-four-door-corvette/

I don’t think the article is a joke but it might be a spoof like the onion.