Air Shocks on Rear?

All this talk about air springs make me want to take mine back off with them not even being on for a week!

I like that you’re getting springs to raise the rear. Can’t say that I like seeing the extended shackles under the back of cars.

Springs won’t change seeing the shackles… Only extended shackles will be seen. That’s why springs to lift are better. Shackles to lift, is cheaper and easier, but is usually used for sagging weak springs. Also, if you’re into cornering, the longer the shackles, the worse your cornering, which can be helped by a tracking bar and rear stabilizer. (Which if you’re into cornering, you should have anyway :stuck_out_tongue: )

It’s never too late to post photos. I’m considering either replacing my rear springs or adding one - to improve the ride a bit and give it some rake. How do you rate your product choices and experience, since?

I have had great experience having original Cougar springs re - arched to change the ride height. Much less expensive than new springs. They or you replace the eye bushings at the same time.

Please DO NOT USE air shocks! I have spent many hours repairing cats w/ the damage done by these things! One repair stands out.

67 w/over 70 cracks. I had to weld large washers to both inside & outside for the shock top bushing to sit in.

Just don’t do it!

Buy springs- I use JRS spring & part #66-311 for 68 GT. (will fit 67-70) These have performed well in my Cats along w/ at least a dozen others.

Whoa ! Air Shocks ? Shackles ?
Lets order 3/4 cam next and flip the air cleaner lid …Royce has it right …THE BEST option by far…is to find an industrial truck spring shop …on the East Coast …its " Danbury Spring"…they have the ability to re- arch your factory springs. …IF …there is any life left in them. They had a pair of NOS Eaton 69 Cougar springs in stock and installed them on one of my cats. Perfect…but …when I put Eibach variable coils up front…the rear was too high …dropped it off they charged me $50 to take 1/2 of height out. No serious change in spring rate …car sits level. Took the 69 vert up and they re-arched the rear springs and added a good hydraulic shock…love it…NEXT I took my Maroon M code XR-7 to them …this time I had 5 leaf springs and had them de-arch them …car sits almost at factory attitude …which seems a tick low in the back…but the spring rate is high enough to offer a real stable ride. This is really the most important job the rear leafs do…when you replace shackled air shock garbage with properly rated springs the car becomes 2x more stable and controllable…here is how the 69 M code sits with dearched 5 leafs

ALSO …if you plan on trying to change them yourself and purchase them from a vendor…get ready for a fight if they have never been out. You will most certainly need a smoke wrench to get the original springs out. Then after working 5X as hard as a shop with the proper tools and equipment …what recourse do you have when you want to adjust them due to ride height or spring rate ? Take them out again .?
Good luck with the project…even if you already purchased replacement springs try to find a suspension shop that knows how to work the springs

Got my springs re-arched 1-1/2” at Valley Spring Service. Love the rake, now. Perfect stance!

Before:

After:

I stumbled on this posting and I too have air shocks on the back of mine. I forgot how popular they were back in the 70’s and 80’s. I contacted ESPO to get a price for mine 69 428 and they quoted $270 for the pair plus $65 shipping, which seemed fair. Looks like that will be my winter project!

I see absolutely no reason to run air shocks today. Back in the 70’s along with a shackle kit it was a quick cheap way to jack the back of the car up to look cool. I did it along with every car buddy in high school. The shock mount area of the Cougar wasn’t designed to hold the cars rear weight and the stress applied of the added weight over rough roads. It will work for awhile then you’re going to have stress cracks in the body. The damage from the that and cost to repair will way out way the cost of getting the proper springs to set the rear ride height. Pay me now or pay way more later…

Hey Engine207 what is that paint color, doesn’t look like a 69 color?

Interesting question. That’s the original Special Paint. But, it was not found on the invoice, door tag, Marti report, or the ‘color’ block on the build sheet. The color is WT7194…Green.

Anyone know of a good spring shop near Columbus, GA? I could use an inch taken out of my ‘69’s 165lb Maier Racing leafs to nail my ride height.

Ken