Air Shocks on Rear?

I’d like the ass end of my car to sit a good bit higher than it is currently. Any drawbacks to installing air shocks on the rear to bring it up?

I would think it would be better to use shackles if you don’t want to replace springs.

Depends on what you want to do with it. Air shocks are effective for raising the rear end, but aren’t usually very good in the damping department. My car had air shocks on it at one point and it would definitely raise the rear end. If you want to run your car down the track then they’re not a good idea.

Change the springs. Why put up with that hard jolt every time you go over a bump. I had an air shock push through the floor after a chuck hole.
Detroit spring or others can get Cougar leafs that are standard height or 1", 2", 3" lift. I’ve used 2" extra for a slight lift in the back. 1" was still low.

I just had an extra leaf added to mine. Solved the problem. It now sits with a slight rake. Kind of hard to tell by the pic at the top, but that’s the stance I got by an extra leaf.

Can you get a taller tire in the back? Or if you know anyone with a taller tire you could try on, see if that makes any difference. I would probably stay clear of air shocks myself.

I agree. My wife’s Tbird has them. Came on them when Dad got it, and are still there. Hate them. They raise the rear, but will still bottom out if you hit a bump/dip in the road, and feel like a log wagon on the smaller bumps or rutted roads. Either go with Claw It’s or Caleb’s advice or do an extra leaf. Your hind quarters as well as your car will be happy you did. That will be the very NEXT thing that gets attention on my wife’s car.

Thanks for all of the input. Ok, so now I’m looking at Detroit Spring’s website. They offer 1", 2" and 3" height increases, which is great. But they also offer standard duty and “Improved Handling” springs. Has anyone tried the Improved Handling version, and did you like them?

The problem is air shocks transfer load that is designed to be borne by the springs to the shocks/shock mounts. Shocks are only there to dampen suspension movement, not carry/support a load.

Got sagging springs? Fix that vs. using a band aid product like air shocks.

I don’t think you can go wrong with the Improved Handling version.

If I recall correctly, I used Eaton Detroit springs on the R code - I spoke to them first & they take down all the pertinent info for your vehicle, and account for any options or changes from stock (battery in trunk, etc.), then recommend a proper spring.

Learned the air shock mistake the hard way! After a year or so, the whole shock came through the upper mount! As others have hinted… The shock upper mount is not made to support the weight!! Shackles are ok. Springs are better!

Anyone have a good fix for the cracks resulting from the use of Air Shocks? I just found a couple on the driver side rear upper shock seat I believe may be from this exact thing. Eventually I will have the entire trunk and transition area replaced.

BUT for now, temporary will have to do.

I’ve priced rear springs from both Eaton Detroit and ESPO. The ED springs are slightly more than twice the price of the ESPO’s. Anyone know why? Do the ED springs have any features that the ESPO don’t? I reached out to ED with that exact question, but have not yet received a response. I never mind paying for quality, but I have to understand the difference before I shell out the moolah.

I’ve heard this before, but someone who used ESPO will hopefully chime in.

I will say that I don’t think either is a cosmetically faithful duplicate of the originals. For the R Code, we took the ones from ED apart, gave them a natural finish and re-assembled with the correct spring clamps.

When it comes time for the '67 to get springs (it’s past time, actually, lol), ESPOs might be just the ticket.

I have Espo’s on Isabel. They are pretty-close-but-not-quite correct. As a perfectionist, I kind of know (have learned!) about these sorts of things. The ends of the leafs are not quite shaped the same (but again, close). I had not heard that ED were not completely correct, I thought they were (and were made from original Ford blueprints). Regardless, as someone who carefully considers prices of things, I was not paying ED prices.

Hope this helps.

Yes. Welding.

Back in the day, when butt in the air look was common and “the thing”, I messed my '70 HT “Cleveland Rocks” up quite well in this area. Not having a welder, I put it back together with HVAC ductwork sheet metal screws! It worked, but was ugly as hell.

So, I received the following response from ED:

"Thank you for your inquiry. We do hear this question from time to time. ESPO has been around for a long time offering very inexpensive springs. They carter to those who’s main concern is price. ESPO can offer their springs at a much lower cost than ours for 2 reasons. One they source the products from the cheapest supplier they can find. And second, they offer a “one size fits all spring”.

While we on the other hand manufacture our springs in accordance to the OEM blueprint in Detroit factory."

As my car is a driver and not a show car, I’m leaning towards ESPO so long as they provide a decent quality spring. Has anyone had any bad experiences with ESPO springs?

What ED is saying is not quite true. While Espo may not offer every variance of spring that Ford did, they have comp handling, stock and that sort of thing. They also match their springs - so you should not end up with a height difference side to side - like I did with John R Spring springs. They were okay at first but then I ended up with an inch or so differential. Replaced with Espo, no problems since.

If price is no object, ED. If it is, I do not think you will have a problem with Espo (and others here will relate that they have not either).

Ok, I ordered the Improved Handling springs with a 1.5" lift for the rear and the heavy duty springs for the front, both from ESPO. I’ll post some before and after pics.

Can’t wait to see them.