Another WCCC Give Away Car / Need suggestions!

Good thinking! I will ask Ashe to join the talk here. BTW, I was wrong… It is a standard not an xr7.

It’s NOT a XR7? Now I’m more interested.

Here, here!!! Second!

We will post the Marti Report soon.
I can tell you all that it was special ordered and sold in Lewiston, Idaho. Probably spent 45 years in Lewiston, Idaho too. Very likely a true ‘one of one’ 1967 Cougar GT, the way it is optioned.

OK guys, my wife should be available to “celebrity” judge, but she’ll need a new fluffy pink robe if she’s gonna be on camera. This ones pretty worn out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRZLKVUr5hs

If I can sell my vote for a dollar, I’m in !

Seriously, If you can get Ashes to participate in the decision, that would be great! SalD

Sal, that’s still funny seeing it over again!:slight_smile:

I like the essay contest idea, as someone mentioned it gives you an idea of what they’d do with the car and what their capabilities are.

Donating $1 to be able to vote and then donating that money or charity or parts for the winner is a cool idea but I feel like it would get complicated and it boils down to who has friends willing to spend money for them. A panel of judges might be the best idea? Perhaps with input from the boards? Do what you did last time, pick your favorite essays, but then instead of everyone voting perhaps the board discusses so the judges can take the boards’ opinions into account and then a week or two later the judges make a decision? That way members new and old alike can have input. Just my opinion/suggestion. :slight_smile:

And no, I haven’t backed out of my project! And never will. Just slow going between my job, classes, and working as a zombie. I haven’t even been back on the boards much except to follow a few project threads. I keep trying to remember to post pictures. LOL! But as it stands I’ve almost finished sanding the interior of the Eliminator - quite a feat, there was SO much rust in there!

Hey Ashes, Great to see you with the Eliminator. I think it would be great to see pictures of your car even the way it is and if you look like a zombie in them, thats ok.:slight_smile:

LOL! Ask and ye shall receive. And I didn’t even have to do any of the work. Thanks Sal! Tell the wife we said “hi” :slight_smile:

Truthfully, it took me a few tries to come up with a minimally offensive description. But perhaps I should have gone with “wife of a cougar owner”.

I agree with the essay…I am not sure if this has already been said, but, I am sorry if it has been, maybe there should be some guideline or parameters on what a complete essay would be classified as more geared towards the mechanical/restoration side of the car.
Key guidelines as follows:

• realistic schedule to restore/build the car
  • true budget or financial plan and emergency plan(how to get back on track if “life” happens and gets in the way)
  • list of resources(and their credentials/capabilities) that will be utilized for body, paint, machine work, interior, chroming, parts, work space, tools, etc…etc…
  • innovative DIY ideas or methods
  • knowledge basis
  • previous experience

Backup for each guideline would be a must for the applicant to be able to show their understanding and dedication to take on the task. Example - one schedule may be faster than another, but maybe there is a larger budget than the other…if there is good backup and reasoning and a solution to get to the common goal (finish the car) than there shouldn’t be a penalty.

These few requirements might weed out the truly dedicated folks from the partially dedicated and make the selection process easier to process. These requirements might seem intimidating to a new to the hobby person, but at the same time I don’t think WCCC wants to see this car again in 5 years on craigslist in the same shape it is today, they want to spread appreciation for the hobby, discussion on the forum and sell parts (win-win situation for all).

A small committee of experienced people who have gone through this process on their own cars would be a great idea to evaluate these essays and come up with the winner better than a voting situation. This committee would have a vast amount of knowledge/experience and be able to agree or disagree with essays better than a vote would.

Just an opinion…it doesn’t mean I am right. I hope this helps, take it as you like. Have a good day!
~Brian

Brian,

This is a brilliant suggestion and gets my vote for how the giveaway should work. Every aspect of it seems on-point. Great stuff!!

Any nominations for this committee? I nominate Brian even though he has no Cougar and has too many projects which means none get finished. :poke:

I personally would love to see either Local Hero or T3 on the committee, one of the two, if they’d do it. Covers both the classy restomod angle and the great sense of humor one. Of course I have no idea if either would want to do it and be able to commit the time.

I think our site host would be a great choice. I’ll nominate Bill.

Point well taken Don. :slight_smile: I do have too much junk…I do not need another project, I get too distracted with the next project before one gets done. I am in no way a qualified applicant for this contest. I am fortunate I can go over to Aust’s house to help and experience how it is really supposed to be done.

The position for my opinion comes from my line of work. I work for an excavation contractor and we specialize in highway, building and commercial work. I write proposals and qualification letters for my company to project owners in order to sell my company profile to allow us to do a particular project at hand. I took some key points that we show case that seem like important concerns by owners. - Schedule, Budget, Experience/Capabilities, Subcontractors and Equipment/Labor force/Resources.

Every project needs a plan…or you will get distracted like me and have a shop full of…junk.
~Brian

waat about the open vote =66% + the comittee/panel =34% or some such percentages.

Scott/tmh…I’m sure LoHo appreciates the nomination, but…he’s really not that funny. Scouts honor.

We’re like siamese twins. Can’t have one without the other. So I guess I’ll have to cover the “classy restomod angle” then. :poke:

If you go with the essay format - I think it should address goals. Of course the goal is to restore the car in some fashion, but it seems reasonable to look for something specific.

For example, restore/restomod the car and:

• drive it on the HR Power Tour
  • attend a CCOA national event
  • run a ___ second 1/4 mile
  • participate in SCCA club races
  • earn an AACA national first junior award

More like the Corsican brothers, I think. Hey, if we punch you will T3 feel it? :biggrin2: