Anyone running 194 LED bulbs in their dash cluster?

They look great in the pictures, so if they look better in person all I can say is WOW! My dash lights are so dark, dimmer switch works raising and lowering how much light shows on each gauge. It’s just nothing like you’re pictures or a current model cars dash lights. So I might be soon switching to LED’s. Mo what’s the three lights around your tach?
Steven

White surface mount LEDs with the the diffusers removed in a 68

Clock with diffusers still in place for comparison

Instruments are a lot whiter than they show up in the pictures

Steven…that would be the mounting holes for the face-pad. I imagine, once those are covered/filled, the light thrown on the guages will be that much better?? Currently working on a dash re-vamp, including a custom face and gauges, so, it really won’t matter in the end, I suppose. I do have a stock face pad I could install to see…:hmm:, something to do tonight once the sun goes down!

I’ll take door number one, Monty…

I should have known that, the “hole” thing is clear to me now. Sometimes I’m so close to the forest I can’t see the trees. :laughing:
Steven

[quote=“snafu”
Have you seen these? Claim to be factory color.

http://www.hipoparts.com/1965-73-ford-mustang-led-gauge-light-conversion-kit/[/quote]

I just installed the HiPo Parts Elite Series in factory color and they look great! They are considerably brighter than stock even though the picture may not show it well. What I should have done was take a before picture for comparison but believe me, they are bright. The color isn’t quite factory but it appears to be real close.

I also bought their bulbs for the license plate lamp and the four side marker lamps and all are very bright and look great. I’ll probably change all the interior courtesy lights using their bulbs in the near future.

What was involved in installing these HiPo Parts? They look great. I’d love to do this but my electrical skills are pretty non-existent. Thanks!!!

Plug and play. No wiring is required. The most time consuming part is pulling the cluster out to access the old bulbs. The LEDs are polarized so you have to make sure you put them in the correct way. They mark one side of the bulb as positive and provide you with a diagram so as long as you pay attention, they should all work correctly on the first try.

And now appears to be a good time to buy them with this discount code they just posted. Wish I’d waited a few more weeks before buying.
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?61970-15-Discount-Code-for-Forum-Members-for-HiPoParts.com-LED-lights-til-3-1&p=517705#post517705

Jeff, how well does the dimmer function work with those?

You guys are a bad influence on my pocketbook. Just ordered a set of bulbs to replace my dim dash lights. Thanks for the discount code!!! I figured I might as well do that while I’m replacing the Voltage Regulator in hopes of fixing my Temp Gauge.

Any advice on how to clean the clock in the hopes of getting it working consistently?

Thanks!!!

I used non-chlorinated brake cleaner, and lubed it with cuckoo clock oil. Worked so good I had to adjust it slower.

I used non-chlorinated brake cleaner, and lubed it with cuckoo clock oil. Worked so good I had to adjust it slower.

I had two of them I took to a clock maker friend of mine and he cleaned them up and got them running well. The interesting thing is that they are live movement with a solenoid that kicks a lever to wind it back up again for the next 10 to 15 minutes. A quarts unit could be installed that would also keep the time more accurate.

Good question, Dave. They advertise that the top line kit which I ordered preserves the dimmer function. I’m not sure exactly what they mean by that nor did I ask for specifics. The dash lights turn on and off using the head light switch and they don’t turn off until rotated nearly all the way to the right however, there is little to no dimming of the lighting. That is fine with me since I didn’t buy the super bright LEDs just to dim them but if it is something that concerns you, I’d ask HiPo Parts before ordering. Next time you’re over my way, stop by and you can check them out in person and decide for yourself.

I installed these into my car today and I’ve got to say, I’m not impressed. I got the top of the line that are supposed to be the brightest and dimmable. They don’t dim, it’s all or nothing, and they’re not super bright. They may be slightly brighter but certainly not worth the money. That’s just my opinion. My other lights worked fine but since I was removing the cluster anyway I figured I’d replace all the bulbs so I didn’t have to do it again. They better last. They’re not bad, they just didn’t bring a noticeable improvement in my opinion and don’t dim.

The blinkers are noticeably brighter but that’s not really what I care about. It’s the speedometer and temp/fuel that would be nice to be brighter.

You could always order a power resistor to connect between the dash light line and ground to restore dimming. 12 ohms, 50W is what I used (although 25W is plenty - if you heat sink it properly) and with it dimming is perfect, like original. Here is the part I used: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/1625984-7/A102348-ND/2366297

I mounted it to the lower dash brace (could use a better heatsink but not bad as it is).

As for amount of light, did you remove the diffusers? Are you supposed to with the LED’s you bought? On you year Cougar?

I bought LED’s of my own choosing, different configuration and number of LED’s than what Hipo is selling. I’m very happy with them and just installed the last of them in the AC/heater control and clock (these three bulbs are bayonet style so got the same LED style as my 194’s but with a different base). Will need to remove the clock and take the housing apart to remove the diffusers, the light there is too blue with the diffusers in place. I figure I will do this when I make my final adjustment to the mainspring to get it to keep better time (which I have found to be very difficult thus far).

See the beginning of this thread for more detail on what I used on my '69 and my results. Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Bob

Leave one incandescent globe in the clock and the LEDs will dim. I found that you had to remove the diffusers in the instrument cluster to get brighter instruments with the LEDs

I ordered the HiPo Parts Elite Series in factory color, what color did you go for? if you went with the factory color, don’t take off the diffusers, just make sure there in good shape.
The resistor that Bob got is a very good price, would be worth getting for the dimmer function. I won’t be putting mine in till the car is finished. That will be a ways down the road from now. I would agree that if they are just a tinny bit brighter, I would be bummed. I could have spent the money else where. Well I have them now, Im going to use them, at least it will be less power needed for dash lights.