Best Aftermarket AOD Transmission Shifter

Hello Everyone,
I’m currently installing an AOD transmission in my 67 Cougar. I purchased the B&M Mega Shifter but I’m not liking the look as it is rather big and bulky. What are your opinions of a good shifter that will look nice. I have removed the console and don’t plan on using it. I’m only planning street use so it doesn’t have to be a performance shifter. Pics would be great! TIA!

Joe

A friend of mine had a '70 convertible with a 351W and AOD. If I remember correctly he bought a B&M shifter and adapted parts of it to the stock shifter. I’ll see if I can find out for you.

Ugh…I can’t think of a shifter I dislike more than the B&M Megashifter. The stock shifter in the Cougar is the best one…and the AOD works properly with it.

I would think pretty much any shifter would work since the AOD only uses three positions, 1,2 & OD for forward even though it’s an OD trans. You don’t need a fourth position.

With that said, I used to run a B&M Megashifter in my car for YEARS during the 80s and 90s. It worked flawlessly once I got the neutral safety switch adjusted correctly. I really liked it. More recently, I’ve switched to a B&M Hammer shifter. It’s OK. I’ve heard that it also works well with an AOD.

I haven’t gotten to that point yet even though I’ve had an AOD core in my shed for close to 20 years now. :think:

To the best of his recollection (it was 15 years ago and the car’s been gone close to 10 years) my friend used the shifter arm from the B&M, and initially used the cable also but it ended up melting against the header so he modified the stock shifter linkage after that. He also used a Lokar TV cable.

Problem is that my stock shifter is shot so I ordered a new stock aftermarket one(I think a Scott Drake) back in August and still haven’t received it. So I’m looking for a good alternative.

If “shot” means loose and wobbly, you can replace the shifter bushings to give it the proper feel. If it is corroded and chrome peeling, then probably best to replace it. If new isn’t available, there has to be a bunch of these that are either good and ready to drop in or good and in need of bushings.
I wonder about the B&M Megashifter and how it functions with a 3 speed. You bring it down to 1 then hit it forward for 2nd, then hit it again for 3rd. When power shifting the AOD you have to go from 1 to 2, then immediately back to 1 to hold out 2nd gear, then move it to 2 for 3rd. Seems like an odd sequence to go 1-2-3. If speaking in AOD terms, change the numbers to names and 1 is Low, 2 is D and 3 is OD. To power shift the AOD you are using only the L and D positions to control 3 speeds. L will select either 1st or 2nd gear depending on your road speed…which side of around 18 mph you are on. If you are below 18 it L will get 1st. If you are above 18 L will only go as low as 2. 18 is an approximation. The actual mph will vary depending on axle ratio, tire size, AOD valve body calibrations etc. With that, I wonder if a B&M shifter can quickly do a 1-2-1 movement------OR, will it only ratchet forward?
BTW…if you get used to power shifting an AOD, put in a little forethought before powershifting a 3 speed trans. The 1-2-1 will do just that when you don’t expect it.

I have an AOD in my 68 and the factory shifter works well but there is clearance issue for shift lever and tv cable lever hitting trans tunnel. Has anyone found a fix for this other than manipulating the tunnel with a hammer