C Code/Stickshift 1967 Cougar XR7 Project

Gauges also work!

I’m quite certain the booster, ect, has been removed from the car and converted to manual brake. I am certain no cougars left the factory without power brakes. You may look at your pedal to see if it is a power brake setup and exchange for the mustang manual pedal setup.

You got yourself a very nice car. For some reason, they’re very finicky. I really like your style, keeping the car tame, staying stock. Sweet. If you ever pull the block, keep your piston rods, if that is a 289 you have.

Not to compare apples to oranges but. I have a 70 XR7 convertable that came with four wheel drums & manuel brakes from the factory. So I would think that they might have come that way in 67.

1 Like

Actually that car likely came that way. Power drum brakes were an option, another option would be power disc front / drum rear brakes.

1 Like

Cool

Thank you! Yessir, it’s a 289, she’s my only car at the minute and very economical, suprisingly good on gas, getting around 25-30 mpg and very cheap to insure at my age, which is $50 a month. It would be $300 a month if I owned a new car!

Very reliable too! Starts up everytime, even at 7:30 in the morning freezing cold and waking up the neighbor as it should be :ok_hand:

1 Like

I got a horn!

1 Like

I’m back in the garage again, because these last 3 months have been way too cold! I took these long noodles off of the car today and even found somebody’s negligent discharge under the back seat! More to come! :joy_cat:

On a side note, this things is alot louder without that exhaust. Only ran it for a few seconds because I didn’t want to catch the puddle of WD40 on fire.

Got my headers on today! Didn’t need to lift the engine or anything, just remove the Z bar. :smile_cat:

Some small updates. Getting the Zbar up and bolted in through a set of headers was a pain! Got it though, painting parts that I take off so they look new when I throw them back on.
While I was under the car I noticed air lines going to my rear shocks and found the valve stem, to my surprise, these things hold air and don’t leak!
On a side note, is there any reccomendations for what to do with my old manifolds? I removed them completely non-destructively, no cracks, intact tube thingy, idk what that is. Should I sell them or set them aside?
Thanks for reading! :smile_cat:

Air shocks rapidly cause the rear floor pans to crack and break. Not a good idea.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that, ty!
What shocks would you reccomend? I’m looking for something a little firmer than stock.

Koni are the best.

1 Like

I got some trophies at my local car show!

When parts have become so valuable you keep a safe in the garage.

1 Like

You think that’s bad? I need to drive down to my bank deposit box to grab my Snap-On 10mm socket!

Hello! Haven’t updated in a bit. Life gets in the way. Anyways, she has the new exhaust installed and got a carb upgrade from the Edelbrock 1406 600cfm to a Quickfuel Slayer 450cfm with vaccume secondaries. I’m waiting on some parts before I can put it on the ground, but I wanted to update you guys now. Excited to drive it again!

1 Like