Can I paint my wheels and make em look like this?

Ooooh!! Humidity last night was 96%… Currently 48%!!! I know what I’m doing this afternoon!

Drinking a beer and getting high on paint fumes… :thumbup:

Beer+fiberglass resin is a pretty good combo, also…at least, until you wake up the next day.

Good luck with the painting!

Ok so just finished putting the second of three coats of paint on the first wheel and realized I have a super noob question. How long to wait before taking off the masking? I used the blue painter tape like a good boy. But should I take it off ASAP or leave it on for a length of time to let the paint dry or even longer to let it cure?

Better hurry on that, you know how quickly the weather changes here.

With that said - Good Luck!!

That gives me a great idea!! A spray can handle like this

with a barometer activated lock-out. That way you will never spray if the weather changes quickly. :bonghitter:

Patent pending.

So seriously guys, how long to wait before removing the masking? Wait till the paint is dry but not necessarily cured right? Dry to the touch is 1hr, dry enough to handle is 3hrs, cured is 1wk, according to the can.

I’ve found that it’s good to wait a bit, but before the paint is completely dry. You want the paint to still be slightly malleable, enough to not crack when peeling the tape, but hard enough that you get a crisp line. That’s my experience anyway!

So in the 1-3 hour range then, between when it’s dry to the touch and when it’s dry enough to handle? Closer to 1hr?

Nevermind. Less than 1hr. Lol. It’s been like 1:15 since I finished the first wheel, just took the masking off and while the line is great in some spots it’s pretty bad in others. Oh well! I guess I can touch up this first wheel in a week or two and hopefully the rest have better lines if I take the tape off at maybe 1/2 hour or so.

Not bad…I’d definitely put the rivets back in…maybe even leave them un-painted, to give some pop.

Oh that reminds me! The rivets have been in their acid bath for too long, a couple days already. Hopefully they’re nice and pop-havin’. For sure they won’t be painted, that was the whole point of spending a couple hours taking them all out.

I think with the rivets and spinners on, the wheels are gonna look exactly like I had hoped. Only, not if you get within like 10’ or less. Lmao.

I’m guessing it’s gonna end up looking exactly like what it is. Some assclown who’s never painted anything doing a $17 amateur job in his garage. So, if nothing else, it’s appropriate

LOL, hey, as long as it looks good to YOU, who gives a rip what anyone else thinks??

And speaking of clowns, I b’lee there’s a thread here on those…

It looks good to me, from 10’ away. Ok maybe 15. :stuck_out_tongue:

Like I thought going into this, I can always get em professionally powder coated in a year or two when there’s money for it. Er, if.

As long as they look fine at speed you’re golden. And I agree on the rivets. Leaving the holes looks unfinished to me.

Only waited 30 mins to un-mask wheel #2. Better lines for sure, but that’s still too long to wait- there’s one spot where the paint peeled with it and exposed a sliver of primer.

Wheel #3 and 4 are about to get their last coat of paint. I’ll unmask them after 20 mins, hopefully that’s the magic spot.

So with all the wheels done and drying and everything, and all the rivets cleaned up as clean as I’ll get em… how long should I wait before putting it all back together and admiring my shoddy work? Rattle can for the paint says if you wanna add another coat it has to be done within 1 hour or after waiting one week for the paint to cure. Do I need to wait that 1wk before putting the rivets back in and bolting the wheels back on? I sure don’t wanna, but will if that’s the proper way to do it.

Thanks so much for all the help and encouragement guys. I really appreciate it!

You have A LOT more patience than I do when it comes to this kind of stuff. I would have put the wheels on before the paint was even dry haha. Waiting sucks.

From doing some research online, people seem to recommend anywhere from one day to several days for the paint to cure before mounting the wheels. So I guess I’ll wait a couple days then.

In the meantime here’s a pic of roughly what one of the finished wheels looks like, without the car and all…

Edit :

Oh and this might be a horrible idea, and please feel free to talk me out of it if you’re sure it will be, but I’m thinking that to correct the lines in some spots I’m gonna use a sharpie. Is that a horrible idea?

Yes, it’s a horrible idea! At the very least, go and get a paint pen.