Can I paint my wheels and make em look like this?

I seen em at NAPA, they’re like $3. That’ll bring my total spent on this project up to $20. Dunno if I can fit it into my budget.

On the other hand… It gives me an excuse to drive the Bronco tomorrow. Ok mister you got yourself a deal!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh and unrelated, but awesome, I got a message today from a guy who wants to buy one of my amps for $700. That pays for the rest of the parts I need for the PS rebuild and then some. Maybe get new rotors, maybe start getting into the front suspension… Mmmmmmm…

yeah use paint pen for sure, the sharpie will never be as dark as the paint and doesnt stick well to metal. Plus if it gets wet it will wear off eventually.

All in all it looks great!

I agree Testor makes a paint pen. You can get them at any hardware, Walmart or hobby shop.
Steven

I did get an actual paint marker, not a sharpie. Haven’t gotten around to the paint touch up work, and as of right now still only have the rivets back in one wheel.

After asking a bunch of people’s opinions, it was pretty much a landslide in favor of rivets. I am still torn though, I like the way the wheels look better with the rivets, but part of me still feels like the rivets take attention away from the actual car and focus it on the wheels. I’m pretty sure I’ll end up putting the rest of the rivets in this week.

Will take some pics after the paint touch up is done.

The wheels MAKE the car, so, attention drawn to them is no biggie…

Went out for a drive today and figured I might as well snap some pics even though I haven’t put all the rivets back in or done the touch-up work. :slight_smile:

The only wheel with rivets is still the passenger front. This is where folks say “yeah it looks better with the rivets in, put em back in the other wheels”.

For me personally I think the rivets make it too industrial, I would leave them off.

Those wheels with the spinners looked horrible and out-of-place on your car. Now that you’ve painted them, they compliment the car perfectly! Amazing how much a little accent paint can make. x2 for me on leaving off the rivets, looks too good without 'em!

I don’t mind the spinners, the “G” had spinners and some mustang hubcaps had them.

Without the rivets, the wheels look unfinished. That would be the first thing I’d notice if I saw the car in person… even if I didn’t know you went through this entire process.

I didn’t know that G’s had spinners, you don’t happen to have a picture of the G spinners do you?

TMH, how about the best of both worlds. Paint your rivets black, no holes where the rivets should be and the rivets wont stand out. I think your paint job turned out great, good choice with black. :thumbup:
Steven

Here is a link to a XR7-G Rader wheel with the spinner off to the side.
http://www.myteesamoyeds.com/radarwheels.html

If you go down to the second picture on this page, (black and white) you will see that it has the spinners. As well as the picture that has Dan Gurney with the gold “G” car has them as well.
http://blog.cardomain.com/2009/07/30/cardomain-obscure-muscle-car-parking-lot-the-1968-mercury-cougar-xr7-g/

Cool I never noticed them before. I wonder if they made it to production. The second picture must be a early G or prototype it still appears to have 1967 6.5 litre fender badges. Thanks for posting the links.
Steven

just curious but did you clear over the black? I would polish the rest of the wheel along with the rivets but that’s me, old school. i personllay do not like spinners but it’s not my car. if you like them that’s all that matters. good job

No clear, just etching primer and then the matte black. They’re holding up okay, hard to believe it’s been two years now. Totally loving how they turned out, and that means a lot because I really didn’t like how they looked before, at all.

There was a recent episode of All Girls Garage where they painted some rims black, same sort of idea as what I did. The stuff they used was more durable, almost seemed like bed liner? I forget the product they used exactly, but when I saw it I thought to myself that I would have probably wanted to use it if I hadn’t already done my rims.

The rims look great. I did some Harley Fat Boy rims like that years ago. Love the spinners too. Really nice looking car. I’m deciding on a color for mine and the black looks good!

So just this summer, last time I washed the car, paint flaked off the wheels quite a bit right at the lug holes. It was the pressure of the water coming out of the hose-- not a pressure washer but just a regular garden hose-- that “chipped” away some of the paint.

I’ve always loved chrome ringed blacked-out wheels with chrome in the middle. There’s a lot of them that look really sharp, and yours are better than most. Well done!