carburetor choise for my 428CJ

You kids and your new fangled pigment! Back in my day, everything was black or brass! Carburetors drafted up, not down!
That’s the way it was and that’s the way we liked it!

:biggrin2:

Okay, Dana!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/270984

I am with Royce as far as the looks of that first carb. But I am very interested in the improvements and the out of the box performance. I have always liked Holleys but am not very good at tuning one.
How are they priced?

Mike,

I would say function over form in this case but I understand from Gry that QF will build to appear how you want it. Besides the anodized pieces they do not appear a lot different than the polished Holleys (better though since they are aluminum not pot metal).

As for cost, here’s a apples/apples comparison at the cheapest place to buy them (I’m a shopper):

0-4779C 750 Holley DP 4150 $437.81
SS-750 750 QFT DP $452.90

I bought the SS-750-AN which has annular boosters (awesome for throttle response BTW), that was about $50 more than the regular “dogleg” style booster carb above. Also the QFT comes with 4 corner idle and electric choke standard (and I touched nothing but the idle speed and mixture screws out of the box). Add to that the many improvements in the QFT design over the Holley, (see their website for details on these).

It’s really a no brainer if you open yourself to technology as it evolves. I’ll take the better piece for less money given what it comes with every time, even if it something new that I never tried before. The fact that it is an evolved Holley design makes the “leap of faith” pretty easy IMO.

Regards,

Bob

I just want to tell that the carburetor for my car is on its way to Norway. QFT recommended a HR 780 with electric choke and vacuum secondaries and the carburetor has been factory tuned to match the specifications of my car and engine before it was shipped. Now only time will show how this work.

So what’s the story on these? Reproductions, right? I read somewhere that they were actually made by Holley, but can’t find that now. What kind of choke do they come with? Do they have Holley logo, markings etc?

So, Gry… did you receive it yet? Did it get installed? Are you happy? :dance:

Yes they are made by Holley, identical except for the date code.

It is not here yet. Hopefully it show up sometime this week.

Bob, I just got this and thank you. I am going to wait and see how Grys carb does although I am thinking of useing it on my 69 351W. I am adding the Edelbrock heads and already have the cam and intake.

It’s all good and to each their own but note the prices on these. Ka-CHING!

A picture of the QFT carburetor before it goes on the top of my engine.

Well done Gry, I think you will be pleased with the carb.

I second this! I bought one of these and slapped it on–and it ran perfectly out of the box. And it does look like it “should” to my eyes. Money well spent, IMO, compared to the multiple rebuilds I’ve had done on U-Holleys and a couple of 3310s.

So which comment exactly are you seconding?

Sorry–I’m not that good w/brackets and quotes…when I try to be more specific by deleting the extra quotes, I end up making even less sense. I like my Carl’s Holley and I’m trying to second Royce’s opinion. I do have a QF carb on another engine, but it hasn’t been fired yet, so I can’t comment on that, but the Carl’s Holley I’m using is great.

Thanks for the clarification. They sound good, but pretty pricey, no?

Gry

What caused you to go with the QFT?

I’m looking at a Slayer 600 to replace the Holley on my 68. They appear to be a better carb than the current cheaper Holleys (that aren’t getting good reviews among the Mustang guys here in Oz)

BTW - the 68 is a slime green 302/C4 with black vinyl roof - so I don’t car much about originality. I just want something reliable, that I can drive when I want and I don’t have to keep dealing with leaks and flat spots