Early birthday

So yesterday I heard a vehicle in the driveway and went outside to see what was going on. To my surprise the mail lady is standing there and hands me a box. When I get inside everyone tells “Happy Birthday!”. I tried to post my birthday, but the day menu only went to 12, but it’s the 16th. Am taking Friday off and Deb and I are going to the range to FINALLY break in the AR she got me for Christmas. I love target shooting. Especially long distance. May take my Springfield 1903 and try some 400 yr shots. As in very little w/ the Springfield. It’s been converted to .308 Norma, so it costs about $2.25-$3 every time you pull the trigger.

So here’s the rundown: ignitor 1, matching coil, relay kit, Taylor Ford Blue wires, Blue Streak dizzy cap, looms, rotor, and new Motorcraft plugs for my '65 Galaxie.

Months ago I had talked about doing a recurving video. So when I do all of this, I will if not go step by step, at least hit the finer points. Don’t expect high quality video as I don’t have any editing programs. All of my gear is for audio recording. But at least will show how to CHECK total advance and while the distributor is apart will point out what needs to be done if you’re Recurving a Ford distributor. Depending on what I find on the old tank, I may end up recurving it, but it’s doubtful. This car is just a heavy highway cruiser with a little 289. Really depends on how long and slow the curve is.

More Birthday present pics

Sweet.

Hey,
Here is a Recurving thread on another forum that I participated in a while back. It shows some of the things I like to do to a Ford distributor. You might find something you like in that info. Taylor wires are a great choice.

No link (or whatever you intended) Mark!

Oh yeah.
http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=308.0

Will check it out. Still, I’ll be interested to see what the curve is like on the old barge.

Why did you pick the Ignitor I? I seem to recall they have a burn-out susceptibility, if the key is left on I believe. Also, I think the II has a more advanced (technically, not timing!) functionality.

Oh, and I have one BNIB I would like to sell!

Regards,

Robert

I didn’t pick it, my family did. As for the burnout susceptibility, ALL ignitors 1,2,or 3 are prone to burnout if you leave the key in the on position without the car running. Says as much on the instructions for setting the rev limiter on the Flamethrower 3 distributor I have in my ‘68. So in light of all that, I’m not gonna’ look a gift horse in the mouth. I’m gonna’ be thankful for a wife, and family that is thoughtful enough to get me a gift I could actually use.

LOL on the BNIB for sale. Kind of like one of my musical shameless plugs.

Oh yeah, showed the new guy at work the vid of you running down that Charger at the strip and after explaining to him the grip loss,street tires, high gearing, etc.,he was like, “I want a Cleveland stroker when I find my F1 to build.” Thought you’d get a kick out of that.

Happy birthday. Looks like your in for a bunch of fun. The downside to having something as cool as a norma is you have to pay a premium for it.

Had to look that one up!

That’s a good answer!

But, I think I am correct on the II not being susceptible and the I being so (or at least I am not convinced). To satisfy myself of this, I went and looked at the instructions for both, I mentions the issue, II does not. So, not sure why Flamethrower 3 distributor instructions would say this and the instructions for the II (and III I assume) would not.

Shame? What’s that? :buck:

An F1 as in a McLaren F1? If yes, that is indeed funny!

F1 as in old Ford pickup F1. Although the Mclaren would be hilariously cool w/a Cleveland stroker.

I had no idea norma was something you could look up on urban dictionary, I was referring to his rifle.

Yeah, .308 Norma Magnum was supposed to be the HOT .30 cal., but the .300 Win Mag came out and rendered it pretty much obsolete. When I bought it from my wife’s uncle he failed to mention the Norma Mag part of the .308 he sold me and the stamp was in a peculiar place.

If I had known, I wouldn’t have bought it. And of course he has all but disappeared since selling me the rifle. Oh well, I have a WWII era sniper rifle, in an even rarer chambering.

What would that chamber be? I’m a gun nut!
Sorry i mean (enthusiast)

It’s based of the 300 h&h I think. Really cool cartridge just only really holds theoretical advantages over the win mag and is pretty hard to get any ammo for.

I haven’t seen that it holds any advantage over the win mag at all, and you’re right ammo is hard to find. Mostly online retailers and super expensive. I looked into getting it converted BACk to 30/06 but the cost would be more than the gun is worth at this point. Yeah is anywhere from $60 per 20 rds to $90 per 20 rds.

What about 300 win mag? I’m not sure what’s involved chamber wise but that is a boring but worthwhile cartridge, (I might have one hahaha)

I wouldn’t call the 300 Win Mag boring. I respect any round that kicks as hard as my pistol grip 12 ga. The first time my brother in law shot the one I used to have(Browing X bolt), he didn’t listen to me and just about ended up on his back (lol). Told me “I used to shoot my Dad’s 308. I can handle this!” The next words out of his mouth were a scared/surprised “Oh my Lord.” I like that round and will probably be the next rifle I get so I can put the ole Springfield into the “look at and appreciate the history” section of the collection.