GT-E XR7 At Mecum-Kissimmee

Friday. There are 2 other 1970 Eliminators I see as well. 1 Boss, and an unrestored 428

Friday the 15th at about 1:30 eastern time the 70 428SCJ (F116), 70 BOSS 302 (F121) and the GTE (F122) will cross the block. There is also a 70 428CJ (F293) that will probably be closer to 7:00.

Is this the same GTE?

1121gte.jpg

Have a look at the RHS of the trunk and the “Mercury” emblem - the trunk panel and the emblem look pushed in. I can imagine that if someone was pushing on the car ( to move it without actually having the car running ) it could cause this sort of damage. It’s really a shame - easily avoidable if it occurred in that way.

Doesn’t appear to be. Different wheels.

Not Don but in general many use the terms “early” and "late’ just to define which version came first or second with no relationship to early or late in a production year. Just something you will find in many things that were running changes but can see that it can confuse people

I missed it - anyone know the final hammer price?

They didn’t actually cross the block until after 2:00

70 428SCJ (F116) hammered at $100,000 to the phone so 12% for $112,000
70 BOSS 302 (F121) hammered at $80,000 in the room so 10% for $88,000
GTE (F122)hammered at $85,000 to the phone so 12% for $95,200

:paw_prints:
I will be excited to learn who purchased and where it will be shipped.

www.CougarClub.org

$95,200 sounds like a fair price for that car. It needs some love although structurally it is great and the red / red / no console / no vinyl roof combination is to me nearly ideal. I would think it was a good deal for the buyer at that price.

Somebody got a really good deal on that SCJ in my opinion

Hit the block at 7:33
70 428CJ (F293) “Bid” to $50,000 and no sale.

I had to go look at it since I hadn’t previously and I have to agree.

Thanks for the auction coverage Dave. Safe travels.

It seems like a great time to be a buyer and not an ideal time to be a seller. Lots of talk about how the cars looked in person verses how they appear in the photos due to lighting making the paint all shine like gems.

I hope we can see these cars at events once they resume 2021-2022.

www.CougarClub.org

Update on F293. I spoke with the Bid Goes on Desk before the auction started this morning and they said that an offer of $66,000 was accepted last night shortly after it crossed the block. I do not know if this was the actual buyer price or if there is a premium attached to this. The Mecum site always adds a 10% premium to what is considered the hammer price and shows $72,600.

I personally think most all of those cars brought strong money. The reason the Grabber Green 70 fell on its face was it needed a lot of details straightened out. Might be the worst alignment of bumpers I have ever seen at an auction? I will not be airing out the dirty laundry here in public on any of these cars but a quick check in with the registrars prior to bidding and one would instantly see Mecum might tend to leave out a few details here and there compared to what we see on BaT or when WCCC does a deep dive 45 minute video on a car we are selling. Just sayin…

Totally agree. There were no bargains here. Lots of things needed fixing on every car. That will likely mean a bunch of new customers for WCCC and new members here.

Did the SCJ need much? I would think when Frank Bowers owned it he would of dialed it in pretty good.

I saw the 428 SCJ Eliminator last at Carlisle in about 2003. It was an original in driver condition, had some paint touch up in places. It was by no means a perfect specimen then. The GT-E was also owned by Frank at one time. Last I saw it was in 2000 the day Frank bought it.