help! oil (not) flow 351w

Help

Im rebuilding an “inherited” 1969 351w. It had a loose timing gear which killed it after a performance rebuild. Fast forward years, i got the disassembled engine to put in my son’s 72 cougar.

Block is 30 over with 10:1 compression, std stroke. Ford racing x302 heads. New Retrofit roller cam. Reusing the ford roller lifters with dogbones and spider. Has beehive springs that went with the original cam. New cam is same lift, shorter duration by about 10 degrees.

I set preload with intake not installed one cylinder at a time. That was nice as i could SEE the compression.

Now on pre-oiling it strongly flows oil from the end rockers on the passenger side. Weakly thru a middle one. And even weaker from a couple on the driver’s side.

Took off the rockers and pushing on the pushrods, i dont feel and “springiness”.

Am i just panicking without cause? Or are the used roller lifters bad? Or did i mess up in assembly?

Thoughts before i crack it open

Thanks!

My first guess with out seeing it, is oil galley plugs. Are they all in? Especially the one in the back of the lifter valley.

I think all 6 plugs are in. Pics of the ones behind the timing set.

I thought to use a borescope camera on the phone to see. It looks like the drill isn’t able to spin the oil pump hard enough. The “dry ones” are getting oil, just not a lot.
IPC_2022-02-17.09.11.47.9230.jpg

Sometimes you need to rotated the engine over a little to get oil up on both sides.

Might want to try it with a more powerful drill motor. It might take 1 HP.

Rotate the crank some. If there is oil in the front and back your ok….ummm did you happen to look at the cam bearings?

I’m thinking that’s the issue. My incredibly awesomely (not) powerful HF drill is struggling. I thought it was enough… but… probably not. And i recently discarded my old wrist breaker 3/4 drill from the 1950’s. Sigh… isnt that always the case? Dont use it for years… get rid of it… instantly need it! Haha

I for sure didnt want to pop open the sealed and painted engine as it’s due for an install next week.

Quick update

Engine is in the car. 750 holley vac secondaries. Hooker ceramic coated long tube headers.

Getting it on the road has been slower than expected. Full dual exhaust added at the local shop. Drive back showed suspension was suspect. Lower control arm picture added.
Gave it ball joints, lower arms, inner / outer tie rods, idler bushing, strut bushings.

Oil pressure is good. It just wasnt being spun up fast enough.

That’s good engine news. The only easy oil plug to address is the one under the intake, so it’s great the solution was actually no solution at all.

My Mopar friend was driving my '68 with its all-new (2019) front suspension, and repeatedly remarked on how well it drives. Your new front end parts will leave you feeling great!