hood locks and lanyards

I spent yesterday afternoon trying to decipher past post on the subject of the hood lock set used on the G’s. The locks were pretty straight forward as to the design that was used but the lanyard is another story. Did one end of the lanyard have a swivel end and if so is it at the hood end or the lock end? How long is the lanyard suppose to be? Did the lanyards get attached to the hood with rivets or the #6-18 x .50" screw as listed in the klick pin kit? If they are attached with rivets then are the rivets standard stainless pop rivets and what size is required? Thanks for any help. Tracy

Here are some photos of our XR7-G’s that might help or just muddy the water for you. The Lime Frost Cougar has the rivet. It also had front end damage in the early 70’s after the original owner said he slid into a ditch during a snow storm. He stated the fender was damaged but not the hood. The hood scoop is a GT-E style so there could have been another accident with the second owner. Below is a picture of the under side of the GT-E style scoop.

Steven

Here are some of the photos that I have. I think a few may even be of Steven’s G.

I went out and looked at mine. It is riveted but the underside of my hood has definitely been painted.

And Steven - what is the story on that GT-E hood scoop? Was Harstil Industries an original supplier?

Did A.O. Smith/Smith Plastics make the G scoops?

Philip I would think that Harstil Industries was the original supplier. Their company dated back to the 1960’s and closed in 1986. From what I’ve been able to find they were a fiberglass sailboat manufacturer. I also read that they made the fiberglass tire tread sections for the giant US Royal/Uni Royal tire for the 1964 New York Worlds Fair.

It makes sense that Harstil Industries would be able to do jobs like the scoops with little effort with their operations.

I purchased an original G scoop to replace the GT-E style scoop possibly in the future. The G scoop I purchased was owned by two board members here and I was told it was used to make the re-pop G scoops. The dark fiberglass looks just like the GT-E scoop but there is not a Harstil tag on it. It could have been there possibly and lost to the mold release agents during the molding re-pop process, the studs were also removed. I’ll post pictures of it later this evening.
Steven

The rivets are aluminum pop rivets, 1/8" diameter. There is no swivel.

I know it’s off subject but here are the photos of the G scoop Philip.

Steven

So quickly we forget. The G blue prints are on this site for free down load…

The original blue print for the lock and lanyard is available here: https://classiccougarcommunity.com/downloads/1968/XR7-G_blueprints/Klik_Pin_and_Cable_Assy_Hood_Lock.pdf

The bill of materials calls for two screws to attach the lanyard to the hood, but Royce is correct in that they were pop riveted in production.

https://classiccougarcommunity.com/downloads/1968/XR7-G_blueprints/Kit-Hood_Klick_Pin.pdf

This is a photo of an original click pin and you can see the hex crimp on the original lanyard:

BTW FWIW department. The BOM listing is actually for the service part. The screws make sense for a service replacement. Perhaps an Assembly BOM would show two pop rivets.

I got a set of cables w/ the hex crimp for a MOPAR. I forget the length and they are not exact ( a tad longer ). I believe they were 18". They can be had on ebay. Maybe have someone measure the length of theirs to see what length they should be…

Here is a picture of them close up so you can see the crimp…

Here is a pic of the end of the MOPAR cables that tattarat is talking about.

You could make them appear closer to the G cables by bending the end but they are pretty robust pieces.

One nice thing about the MOPAR reproductions is that the plastic sheathing is new and supple.

Phillip

Haha - Tony, you and I were obviously posting at the same time :beerchug:

I know they are needed for stock restoration but I never liked the lanyards since they tend to screw up a perfectly nice paint job.
It’s not correct, but I’d go with Quik-Latch for a cleaner look (and some come with locks)

On the “Installation - Hood pin and Horn mounting hole” print. It shows the swivel style lanyard. Not saying they are correct, but I like the look of the swivel end better.

By “swivel style” are you all referring to the '67 Shelby type good lanyards (see attached photo)?

I’ve also attached a photo of the hood pins and lanyards on a Hertz G that is usually at Carlisle.

By “swivel style” are you all referring to the '67 Shelby type good lanyards (see attached photo)?

Yes I am referring to the Shelby style. I also have a couple photo’s of his lanyards as well. can’t remember his name.

I never noticed any effect on the paint job or chrome / polished aluminum / stainless. Lots of long cross country trips in several of my G’s.

Thanks for all the pictures showing what the parts of the hood pin kit should look like. Last question though is how long is the lanyard? Thanks Tracy

Tracy here you go.

Steven