How many 1969 SCJ cougars were built?

Okay let’s see what I can figure out???

Looking at the Marti reports we have here, it appears-

There are 132 of 428 SCJ cars which have a 4 speed transmission.
And,
There are 229 of 428 SCJ cars which have a auto transmission.

But all these cars are with the drag pack after 2/20.

But the car with the Marti showing it as a 428 SCJ with 4 speed and only 53 cars was built prior to 2/20.

Does this make sense to anyone? Is this feasible? Or is there something I have missed???

Peter :slight_smile:

I’ve always believed the “after 2/20” thing was merely an indication that the Drag Pack wasn’t properly called or marketed that until that date. Before that date, ordering 3.91 or 4.30 gears triggered the same component package, so the net effect is the same–it’s just marketing.

Maybe, I found my scan of the window sticker for 9F93R538911.
$6.50 option for the “High Performance Axle”. How much was it after 2/20/69?

A 3.50 TL could be that axle…? You know for a fact that sticker is for a DP car? Cuz I’d expect a DP to be a lot more $$$$.

No, I know that it was for my former SCJ Cougar. Marti posted earlier on in the this thread

Notice the entry for Traction-lok Differential? $63.50? High Performance Axle comes right after.

Yeah, I noticed that.

And how much would a DP cost post 2/20? I don’t collect window stickers so it’s not easy for me to find. Michael Banks?

Looks like DP cost $155.50 after 2/20. (*for 1969)

That’s why I was thinking the window sticker was for a 3.50 TL car, cuz the price for the TL and optional gears seemed too cheap for all the improvements.

Note the following is for Mercury;
Which is why the bean counters, warranty and marketing departments came up with the “Drag Pak” option. It allowed an increase in price to account for the additional components that engineering mandated for the 3.91 and 4.30 gear sets due to oil temperature.
The Super Drag Pak option in 1970 was added as its original intent was that all 4.30 gear sets would be installed with a Detroit NoSpin which involved addtional cost and to allow a premium.
1970 Drag Pak 3.91 TL msrp $155.50 dlr cost $122.95; Super Drag Pak 4.30 DL msrp $207.30 dlr cost $163.94
There was insufficient supply of Detroit Lockers to meet the demand that resulted in some of the Super Drag Pak orders being filled with 4.30 Traction Lok instead of a Detroit Locker. This is sometimes noted on the Eminger invoice with a credit to the dealer for vehicles that did not get a Locker.

I saw on CCOA and article about the number of surviving cars and they showed around 2% base on people who had registered with them. I thought it would have been closer to 10% at least on the “special” cars. I guess the special one’s may have been driven harder i.e crashed more. It is up to us to restore they cars before we get to old. Not like our kids will do it. A neighbor has a 73 'cuda which he says he is going to restore when he has the time/funds. I have seen that car sitting for close to 20 years and no he won’t sell it.

I wonder if there is any way to find out how many 428 Ram Air cars came with AC?

Kevin Marti has the ability to tell you that answer.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

I bet you’ll find a good %age of them were ordered w/A/C. I also bet 100% of them had axle ratios of 3.25 or higher (numerically lower).