Mecum Red GTE Engine Rebuild

Thanks Royce!! Nice picture and easy to follow. What color do you paint the engine? Ford Dark Blue? Looks like the PCV and smog system get the same color paint.

Rob

Duplicolor DE 1606 Ford Corporate Dark Blue. The intake is supposed to be blue too but I just couldn’t.

Thanks Royce!!

Engine compartment is pressured washed. Brake lines out. Tab A goes into slot B……. This is what happens below the proportioning valve when they stick and leak.

Robert, the steering box tag from my W-code GT-E reads as follows:

8MB K
8A16 B

Got engine back from Bud’s Machine in Lakewood WA. yesterday. Engine was pulled with about 12k miles way back when and has had very little use since. Standard bore block and original pistons, rods, crank. It was thoroughly inspected and passed perfectly. New rings, bearings, and a balance job was performed. Heads were serviced and valve stem heights installed to specs. Basically and extremely low mileage 68 side oiler 427.

Spent part of today to install the cam and timing chain and gears. Chased every threaded hole in the block as I always do to ensure correct torque values. Chasing the thread holes in the heads will be next, with some heli coils in the intake. They always seem to be abused.

Finished up the proportioning valve and distribution block rebuild today. New brake lines and new bolt hardware are so nice! Bought the AMK kit for both the engine and the body. Fresh steering box and some column detail to finish. Chased all the holes in the heads today. Will start engine assembly next week!

Rob

I probably missed it somewhere, but which heads does the motor have? I’m guessing it has “N” heads with the 14 bolt GT exhaust pattern.

C8OE-6090-N heads with the “16” bolt pattern. As most refer to them as Cobra Jet heads. With the VIN stamped in the back of the driver head.

Rob

Robert have you verified the pistons in your short block as 68 parts ? They look a lot like pistons used in early 427’s with what’s called Knorbs (the raised section on the bottom) to keep out of place valves in place.

I’ve been chasing this recently. According to information I was given, they are correct.

Yes, those cast aluminum bumper top pistons are correct for the GT-E w-code 427. Maybe not all of them, but several including mine had them. I think TRW made them.

Those same pistons were used in all 427 powered Ford / Shelby / Mercury automobiles from 1963 - 68 including the GT-E side oilers.

Robert thanks for sharing the pics of the engine and pistons clearly something not seen often.

Tomorrow is measure and confirm the oil pump pickup to pan clearance. Bend pickup tube to specs. To close or to far away and oil pump pickup will cavitate or loose suction. Install pan, heads, and intake manifold. Installed the timing case cover today with the timing cover sleeve on first to center the seal and then torque down the cover. This is one attention to detail on assembly that is not always done. I hate oil leaks!!

Rob

Those a DEFFINTELY the correct “bumper” pistons, used in ALL 427 GT-E’s, and from 63 on up. They are there to bump up against a valve, JUST in case

Yes, this is a 12k mile original 427 GTE motor. Standard bore in perfect specs with new rings and bearings on original pistons, rods, and crank. She will be awesome and a great original example of this breed of Cougar!!

Rob

The engine was in incredible condition when I located it for the Black car having been stored in his game room for over 4 decades. The markings and valves are particularly sweet and here are the actual pistons. So it gets a second ring job and back together again. Did the engine tag survive Robert? forgot to ask. The intake was not original to the engine and I had ground on it a bit near the thermos to smooth a weld repair. The carb was also sourced after the fact. I think Royce provided the special GTE Sideoiler block mount. So happy to see the progress and positive interest in getting the car the best it can be. Robert is the kind of guy that can walk into the auto wreckers and drive something out.
026.JPG
017.JPG
019.JPG
015.JPG
012.JPG

Love pics, thanks for posting everyone!

• Phillip

Thanks for posting the pics Kerry views seldom seen.