Mini Tubbing a 67

Does anyone know of a mini tub for the 67-68 Cougars? Would a 67-68 Mustang mini tub work without major mods. I will be running a TCI 3 link rears suspension so the leaf springs will not be a issue.

Thanks in advance
Mike Tuck

Mike, Check out Total Control Products. They offer a Mustang mini tub, don’t know how compatible it is with a Cougar. I have TCP’s subframe connectors, manual rack and pinion and front sway bar. All very nice high quality stuff.
Here is a link to their mini tubs. Good luck with your project. Jim R
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/minitubs.html

TCI 3 link doesn’t have leaf springs. Mini tubs aren’t going to gain you much with the 3 link maybe 1-1/2 unless you plan on shorting the axle and the shock bracket mounting points and pan hard bar.

I can tell you from experience that the mustang mini tubs will NOT work with our 67-68 Cougars. Custom is your only option, aside from highly modifying the mustang version (and at that point, build your own).

Mini Tubs are in!

Mini Tub from another view

I spy a Vintage Air box.

So which product did you end up using?
Did you have to touch the frame rails at all?
How much room did you gain from it?

Will be curious to see what else will be affected by adding mini tubs such as rear interior panels and rear seat fitment.

I plan to mini-tub my 67 cougar using a repro 67-8 cougar wheel tub. I’ll cut out my existing wheel tub leaving approximately 2" behind, then butt weld the new one to the existing tub (obviously cutting the vertical flange off on the new one first). I like this approach because it only leaves behind one weld seam. The other way it can be done is to split the existing and put a filler piece in, but that means an extra weld seam to grind down.

I used Goodmark 2" tubs
Does not touch the frame
Because I also installed the TCI 3 link rear suspension system, the lower control arm is the limiting the full depth…gained approx 1" inward. I had the rear end shortened to 56.5 inches from 59.5. If I could do it over, I would have narrowed the rear end more in order to have less backspacing (currently backspacing is 5.5". I plan on running a 18" x 11" wheel and increasing the car flairs all around to accommodate the wider wheels. The front wheels will be 18 x 9.5", back spacing to be determined once the TCI front suspension is installed.

Rear seating and sails will need to be modified, but not sure how much.

I installed TCI’s mustang mini tubs last fall. I shortened my axle to 55.5. Moved the frame rails in. Built my own tubs. First the TCI measurements are wrong for a Cougar. Second you need to move the rails in if you shorten your axle to 55.5. I felt that if you tube it make room for your tires. Never found a tub that would fit right. So I made my own. I can not reuse my interior side panels or back seat without making alterations. Fuel tank still fits and it will be very close for the exhaust to fit. I can help with the measurements, frame rails and any other information you may need. Before you order you will need to give TCI measurements for rear crossmember, panhard and frame stiffener bars. This is of course you use the same axle I used.

I have the TCI 3 link as well. I am just about to start on the Mini Tubs. Took some measurements, and test fit some of the brackets supplied in the kit. If you didn’t have to touch the frame, how well did your Brackets fit over the frame. My frame rails are 1.75" wide, and have a contour, the TCI brackets are 2" and dead straight. I measured the 17.5" from the rear / front edge of the rear leaf spring mounting hole, positioned the brackets and found that the TCI brackets don’t fit at all. Do you have any pics you could share of your process?
Thanks

I have the TCI 3 link as well. I am just about to start on the Mini Tubs. Took some measurements, and test fit some of the brackets supplied in the kit. If you didn’t have to touch the frame, how well did your Brackets fit over the frame. My frame rails are 1.75" wide, and have a contour, the TCI brackets are 2" and dead straight. I measured the 17.5" from the rear / front edge of the rear leaf spring mounting hole, positioned the brackets and found that the TCI brackets don’t fit at all. Do you have any pics you could share of your process?
Thanks

Mini Tubs are in and finally getting back to work.