My Cougar & Battling Family History

Was told at a young age that I’d never own anything like this. So when I saw my first classic car drive by and my uncle said I’d be just like my other family members, in and out-of-jail, drug dealers, etc… and not amount to nothing, I made it my goal to prove him wrong. That car happened to be a cougar. I’ve owned 3 over the yeas. Each helping me get closer to my finished product; 1970, 1967 and 1969. The 70 and 67 were both hardtop XR7’s. Loved them, but needed them to finish my dream car that I finally just She’s a 1969 XR7 Convertible custom cat. Done in Rescue Green Metalic that shines lime in the sun and darken up in the shade, she looks “mean” driving or parked. She has her original 351w and FMX transmission, but I’ve upgraded the top end with the ProFlow4 EFI Kit. Learned a lot during this build. Lots of credit to my father-in-law and boys for helping with this project and teaching me.

So proud to join this elite forum and show my family that you can change the narrative when the odds are against you. That work, faith, and trust… maybe a little bit of humility along the way. So proud to be posting today amongst some amazing owners.

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Nice way to make it to greener pastures.

2 Likes

Thanks so much. Means a lot to be here.

Welcome to the community, there’s a wealth of knowledge on here if you need it. What part of the country do you call home if I may ask?

2 Likes

Caldwell, Idaho is home for me. Although, I migrate the 69’ from Oregon to Idaho about 10 years ago now.

Welcome to the forum. I am in Nampa, ID and will have my 69 XR7 at the Hot Rod Happening tomorrow at Nampa High School. Hope to see you there or other car shows in the Treasure Valley

1 Like

What time will that be? Is there a link for information? I’d love to try and make it if possible.

Hot Rod Happenin’ 2023
April 23rd, 2023 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Nampa High. Come show off your cars, hot rods, trucks, bikes, and race cars in support of the Nampa High Automotive Shop! $15 registration to show your car gets you a car show t-shirt as well!

1 Like

Ill try and be there, but it may be late around 1pm.

Your car and proving the naysayers wrong are both awesome. As nice as your car is, succeeding against the negativity is even more important. Congratulations.

Your cat bears witness to the saying “Living well is the best revenge.”

1 Like

Also the best way to transform the perception. Show our family we can do better. We have several of us now that have either graduated high school now and even college. Where before this never was our narrative. Love happy endings. Even these cousins and uncles that were in and out of jail and not doing well have started changing their lives. Better late than never. Just needed an example maybe.

2 Likes

Car looks great. I really like the wheels and the stance. What mods have you done?

1 Like

Welcome! Really well done. I am curious about your taillight treatment. The black intrigues me. Can you please share what you did?

1 Like

EFI ProFlo 4 system. Looks stock, without having to transplant a newer engine. Replaced the vacuum system for the headlights and went electric. Using 2" Aldian American lowering kit to get that stance. Riddler 18" rims. Adding, that I switched outh the door panels for 1970 door panels because I like the walking cat logo on them better. Everything else is pretty much stock.

Stock taillights believe it or not. Simply painted the trim to accent.

1 Like

Love the painted bumpers! I’m a little partial to them. Takes the right color to pull it off. You have the right color! Looks bad ass with the black convertible top

1 Like

Thanks! I’m debating whether to black out the front window pillars too… the not sure if it’s too much. But initially I wasn’t sure how it would turn out. I agree though, I’m kind of partial too. I just decided to take that risk because I wanted that dark and mysterious look. Initially, i wanted to clone the El Gato Cougar of 1970. Maybe one day with more money and time, but love how it turned out still.

I kept the cabin surround in stainless. It can overwhelm with too much chrome removal

2 Likes

Agreed. That is why I waited on that. Good call. I just wonder how it changes the look for a convertible.

The size of the trim on the apillars adds a different twist over the coupe. If you change them it would be a black out. In that case you better be prepared to black out the entire car…imo