My Rear End

Looking to change out my peg leg… any suggestions or experience with aftermarket 9" 28 spline traction lock diff’s on the market? Anyone tried the Innovation Gear & Axle brand?
thanks

Many suggest upgrading to 31 spline axles while your in there. Depends on the end goal though.

Do some research on clutch based limited slips/posi and spiral gear posi. Many types and brands to consider. Understand what if any rear end noises you are okay with when going around turns.

I’m going with 31 spline Moser axles, Richmond ring and pinion with a Powertrax spiral gear based posi. I’ll know more about it later this year when I get the car back on the road.

Same situation with my car-2.79 open style when I got bought it. Was planning on an Eaton TruTrac with a 3.70-3.90 rear gear. I found a good deal locally on a 3.70 Auburn (clutch style) diff with 31 spline axles and a ‘69 Mustang housing with 31 spline axles. Had everything cleaned checked and rebuilt. I’m expecting the 3.70 along with the TKO 600 to make a noticeable improvement in launching.

A good source for my '68 Cougar but also a number of Ford and Pontiac racer friends of mine is Quick Performance in Ames, Iowa. Mike Mortensen is a sharp, approachable guy you can call up and explore options with. https://www.quickperformance.com/

I’m currently running an 8-inch - not a 9 - that Mike assembled with a Yukon Grizzly locker. It’s dead quiet and fine on the street. If you call him, tell him I’m still enjoying the third member and axles from him.

The great thing about our cars is that you can swap the third member out and install an already set-up one in its place. Unlike the Ford 8.8, there are no C-clips to secure the axles; that’s also nice and easy done at the brake ends.

R.B.

I second Quick performance. Order from Amazon and you will get it faster because they have a contract for delivery.

R.B., thanks for the link to Quick Performance. My order will be placed today!

Let us know what you chose!

In order to verify specific bearing size for the kit from Quick Performance, I’ve dropped the third member and am beginning to break it down… then a thought occurred to me. The current rear I’m working on is a 28 spline unit. When I order the new diff, can I order a 31 spline unit along with 31 spline axles and take that step up? Is it that simple or am I unaware of something?

Cheers!

Yes, it’s that simple, just make sure that the axles have the seal sleeves and buy the axle seals for 31 spline.

Yeah, especially if yours is a 9-inch; it will even be a selling strength should you decide to let go of your Cougar in the future.