Painting or dyeing interior parts?

My 70 has the Medium blue vinyl interior with a console. The console armrest compartment door cover is severly faded/worn. I can only find black replacements. Can I paint that or does that need to be dyed to match?

Also my package tray will also need to be replaced that I am pretty sure can be painted but if not please let me know.

Thanks.

Dye only. Paint will crack off and is too heavy a material

You can get an exact match if you send in a sample. SEM makes vinyl dye that you could use on any surfaces you want. If you lift a seat and take a small snip off some of the extra folded over material underneath, that’s an easy way to do it.

1 Like

Awesome thank you.

1 Like

Good to know.

1 Like

NPD had a match made from their extensive collection of cars. It is a custom match for the blue interior of the 70 cars. I have used it in my 70 XR-7 428 4 speed ramair Cat

http://www.cougarbill.com/#/project1/

1 Like

SEM products for sure. I’ve already redyed a door panel and rear seat from red to parchment and am 100% sold on the products. WCCC carries it.

Sweet looking project.

Sounds like a plan.

SEM products are great. I’ve used them for dying plastic or vinyl over the years and have never had an adhesion issue. Besure to clean the surface thoroughly and use their vinyl prep or plastic prep before applying the SEM dye. I also always use SEM clear over the top of the dye. You can get the clear in several finishes from gloss to eggshell to semi-gloss to flat. Good luck.

All of the interior items of the attached pictures have been re dyed with SEM products with the exception of the carpet and seats.

1 Like

Wow that looks amazing!!

Thank you Bill. The real challenge was getting the antique finish on the door panels. If you look close, you can see the color variation. It required using an airbrush and applying some black and custom mixed darker red to get it close. It definitely tried my patience. It’s not perfect but looks good enough to me. Not all color Cougar interiors had that antique affect. My 69 Eliminator with the white interior does not have the antique finish.

1 Like

To add to the prep ideas, I’ve had great results using Lacquer thinner, tooth brush ( for channels w/ stiching, and a clear primer Bulldog) Interesting idea on the antique effect…

1 Like

Anyone know what SEM color is a good match for a Saddle interior? Looks like Camel or Palamino might work judging from the online chips.

1 Like

Anyone know what SEM color is a good match for a Saddle interior? Looks like Camel or Palamino might work judging from the online chips.

Neither is perfect, but I think Camel is the better of the two.

2 Likes

Agree, the two SEM cans of Camel I purchased for my original armrests were just a bit dark but, I kinda liked the contrast. Thinking back, I DID try the Palomino but ended up painting over it with Camel.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I see NPD has their own SEM Saddle mix, but it’s currently out of stock. I might wait for them to get more of that in.

1 Like

Agree on SEM products being the best for the job. I used it on my door panels and quarters to change it from ivy gold to black. I used a satin black to best match the aftermarket seats. The factory black is more gloss.

So far it’s held up pretty well but it’s also not used as a daily driver either. I’ve tried to scratch and scuff test pieces and it’s possible but takes a little effort so I could see it happening eventually. However it should be able to be touched pretty easy too.

As mentioned already spend time prepping everything really good and you should be fine.

2 Likes

Another vote for Sem products. I used them on my 67 for door panels, dash and console pads, and even on my front seat bases.
One word of advice though, even if you think you only need one can get more. If needing multiple cans be sure they are all from the same batch. When I ordered from NPD I didn’t order enough the first time, ordered more and it was slightly different in color. They took it back without any hassle and asked me for the batch number off the can and were able to round up the couple more cans I needed with that same batch number.

1 Like

How did you clean up the peeling Mylar on the door panels