Removing paint that was scratched on

So finally it happened, I’m surprised it took this long, the garage door opening to the garage I rent is maybe 4" wider than the car on each side and since it’s in a tight alley, getting in and out is really, really tight. So I finally scraped (lightly!) the side of the opening with the side of my beautiful Cougar. Ha! :frowning:

From what I can tell, there’s no serious damage or anything, but the right quarter picked up some of the white paint from the door frame.

How do I go about getting that off of there? The black paint on the car is lacquer, from what the previous owner told me.

Help!!! :frowning:

Thumbnail works pretty well to take off the top layer or two, then compound to clean the surface. The paint is probably okay underneath.

I tried my thumbnail to no avail. But I didn’t really work it too hard. I’ll give it a better shot next time. And when you say compound, what does that mean specifically?

Rubbing and Polishing compound is what he’s meaning ^

Thanks Bill and Mark. Seriously, how noob can I be?

Worst case scenario, I have a start at some racing stripes. Just add some more white paint and I’m all set. :facepalm:

LOL, Mark is used to dealing with noobs…

(That’s a jab at myself, there…)

Everyone starts somewhere… it’s where you end up that makes the difference. Some just never go anywhere. :eh:

So, uh…whatchoo tryin’ to say??? LMAO

Every case is different. LOL!

Some guys should at least learn to change their own oil before embarking on a full blown restoration project.

Some guys are legends in their own minds and refuse to even allow someone else with much more experience offer assistance.

Some guys ask for suggestions and then do the total opposite thing anyway.

Some guys ask for help and then heed the advice and then become the expert for everyone else who follows without ever offering so much as a “thanks” to the person who originally helped THEM.

Then there are those “super rare” ocassions where a guy asks for assistance, and then heeds the assistance and is SUPER appreciative about where the help came from, but never gets too big of a head, and continues to grow in both skill and knowledge, and eventually becomes a great all around person who is always willing to help but never forgets where he came from.

Does that answer your question 3? :wave:

Of course in the interest of the PC world we live in… all of the above comments could very easily have “gal” substituted for “guy.”

So which one is T3? :think:

Me. I’m T3.

Lol. Actual lol.

So what do you guys think is better for when I can’t get this paint off… Extend the white into car-wide paisleys, or go for zebra stripes on the quarters only?

I’m thinking total re-paint…c’mon, you’re already this far into it…

While your/I’am at it… the 2nd most said phrase that makes wives cringe and parts suppliers eagerly await the phone call allowing them to leverage your house.

Try some buffing and such and see what happens.

Thanks for saving me from having to type that 3.

I still think it will clean up okay. In my opinion, black looks best with no stripes. Just the hard contrast between the black and chrome. I had a friend with a guitar like that. It looked evil just sitting there.

I’ll bet his doesn’t look nearly as evil as mine…

Aluminum neck.

This guitar is for sale, actually. I’ve got too many pointy guitars and a 3rd aluminum-necked one on the way that blows this one (and probably every other instrument ever made by anyone anywhere ever) out of the water.

I’m hoping the paint comes off. I was joking about the zebra stripes. But paisleys?! C’mon! Black with white paisleys? What could be more evil than that?!?

:think: You’ve obviously never seen the DEVIL…aka, “SoCalCraigsters Tranny Brother-in-law”…

Come to think of it, you’ve probably never seen one of my “OMG, this is HOT!!!” emails that ends up burning itself into your minds eye, either…evil…evil PICTURE-FIED!!! (ask Brick, he STILL has nightmares about some of them, and will open NOTHING from me without having someone else present)… :laughing:

[quote="mo2872 :think: You’ve obviously never seen the DEVIL…aka, “SoCalCraigsters Tranny Brother-in-law”…

Come to think of it, you’ve probably never seen one of my “OMG, this is HOT!!!” emails that ends up burning itself into your minds eye, either…evil…evil PICTURE-FIED!!! (ask Brick, he STILL has nightmares about some of them, and will open NOTHING from me without having someone else present)… :laughing:[/quote]

My therapest said to say that I need to begin to forgive you to get over that, but the dreams man!! They wont go away!!

As I said earlier on the curb… If you hear of me jumping… its because the lemon juice, belt sander, steel wool and cork screw didnt work… and its all T3 fault. :wtf:

OH, now, c’mon, B!!! She wasn’t THAT revolting!!! I mean, I only threw up a little bit!!! Grow some, man!!!