Search the database?

Is there a way to search the database to find out if my car has already been registered in the past?

Yes just post the vin here and I’ll look it up and advise you.

7F91A562538

Thanks

recorded in database 7/1/2008
65A-T-UD-03B-53-1-5
Glendale, AZ

Thanks.

Can you tell me who the owner was back then?

No I cannot do that without that owners’ permission. I will try to contact him on your behalf.

Oops, spoke too fast, I do not have contact information for the owner, who was in Glendale, AZ back in the day.

No address from the registration sheet?

What registration sheet?

Are you under the impression that only cars submitted on a registration sheet are put into the database?

While I do not know the percentage for sure I’m guessing only about 5% of the cars added to the database are submitted on a registration sheet (physical or online).

Phil is still adding approximately 105 new cars per month to the database, although the amount of information on each varies tremendously. He also updates listings when we find more information.

Like Jim was saying, a lot of the cars get added from other sources, such as anonymous submission, sale listings, car show sightings, or similar circumstances where the only information available might be a VIN.

Not sure if I can just jump in here or if I need to start a new thead. However, also wondering if my car is in registry . . . . it is 7F91S553334.

Uh, this one:

The one that asks for an address and other useful information.

How the heck am I supposed to know? I just got here a few days ago.

Maybe you should buy a friendly hat instead of a jump-down-the-throat hat.

I am appreciative of Mike’s more civilized explanation.

You can leave.

You’re new here, Jim’s not. I think this is simply one of the problems with forums in that you can’t see body language or hear intonation. Jim is one of the most well known and generous Cougar owners around. I don’t want him to leave and I suspect many others feel the same. Relax a bit and try not to get offended by a forum post from someone trying to help you.

Maybe if there is a list somewhere on the forum of individuals who can be contacted to inquire about a certain Cougar it might prevent these mis-understandings. I know Phil is a busy guy with Cougar stuff so others could be contacted.
And didn’t Phil’s snail mail address change?

ArizonaJack, I’ve known Jim for a long time and I also know the back story. This is not a lecture to you specifically, in fact, you just pointed out that what we need to do is to share a bit more of the tribal knowledge, kind of get every one on the same page. It is easy for us old farts to forget that not everyone has been here for the duration.

Not all things are what they sound like. Let me interpret for you…

What registration sheet?

This is actually a pretty good question, if you know the history. It used to be that the registration sheet was piece of paper that came to you with membership to the CCOA. I got my first one that way in 1999. Owners were supposed to fill them out and mail them back, but not every one, or even most people, did mail it back. It used to be fairly common to find one of these sheets buried in the paper work on a Cougar. They were also used by many local clubs to go on the windshield of your car at car shows. So it was not uncommon for some one to have a partially filled out registration form that never made it to the registry. Finding these missing forms can really fill out what is known about a car.

The form you see on the CCOA web site is new. So asking about the existence of a PARTICULAR sheet is a legitimate question. Maybe Jim could have asked do you have a partially completed sheet from a previous owner, but that requires a lot of typing, particularly if you are on your phone.

Are you under the impression that only cars submitted on a registration sheet are put into the database?

This is a legitimate question. Many registries consist of only vehicles that have been registered with complete documentation. There are days when I wish that the Cougar registry worked this way. Among other things, registries that work like this typically get specific permissions that control disclosure. The main reason you can’t just browse the Cougar registry is that it contains so many records that are gained from observation, (that is some one seeing a car and reporting it). What is at issue is that with a mixed bag, you have to treat everything with a high degree of discretion. There is no clear rule about what you can and can’t disclose. Just try to get the DMV to tell you anything… LOL!

If you don’t get lost hearing tone that really is not there, Jim goes on to explain it all pretty well right here.

“While I do not know the percentage for sure I’m guessing only about 5% of the cars added to the database are submitted on a registration sheet (physical or online). Phil is still adding approximately 105 new cars per month to the database, although the amount of information on each varies tremendously. He also updates listings when we find more information.”

The registrars are all volunteers. Many of them, Jim specifically, have also spent many many $$ to acquire information to add to the registries to make them more useful and complete. That they dispense what they have collected and organized, and that they do it for free, is pretty amazing. I host several of the registry sites for them, also for free.

Also, there is a specific registry issue that hardly ever gets talked about. This is what keep registrars up at night. Lets say an unscrupulous person has a beater '68 Cougar. They could restore it to it’s standard C code origin, and possibly sell it for less than the cost of restoration, or they could get the VIN from a missing GT-E from the registry. Order the Marti report and see how it came from the factory. Add a 427 and some body trim and you are on your way to a six figure car; added bonus, you don’t even need to source fender trim. Go to the DMV and request a bonded title on an abandoned vehicle. In short order a new GT-E is born. All of this is illegal, but by the time the car has traded hands a few times so many people have a vested interest in the story that the car is a real as anything.

So yes, registrars are a nervous bunch that hold the cards close to the vest. I won’t go into detail about all of the ways people try to manipulate them into questionable circumstances, as it might read as a tutorial for some.

First, to ArizonaJack – my sincere apologies if my question to you regarding the “registration sheet” came across wrong. That was certainly not my intention.

Second, Ron656771 – yes your car is on the national database.

You’re new here, Jim’s not. I think this is simply one of the problems with forums in that you can’t see body language or hear intonation. Jim is one of the most well known and generous Cougar owners around. I don’t want him to leave and I suspect many others feel the same.

I meant leave the thread, not the site. LOL.

Relax a bit and try not to get offended by a forum post from someone trying to help you.

You were doing fine until that. Tell the offended guy to relax. Typical response of someone who is a legend in his own mind. :naughty:

:mrgreen:

First, to ArizonaJack – my sincere apologies if my question to you regarding the “registration sheet” came across wrong. That was certainly not my intention.

Thank you, Jim. I understand now. All is forgiven.

Personal insults are not acceptable on this forum. The funny thing is that Jeff Bingaman’s cars are legendary.

I’m not too concerned with Mr. Jack’s wording regarding my legendary status but thanks for the compliment, Bill!