Taming of the Rat Cat

Is that the POR15 chassis black? Wonder how that would do on a “whole car” topcoat basis…(just thinking in type, here)…

No, chassis black is satin. This is just gloss black POR 15. Since it is UV sensitive, it would suck as a top coat. Also, it looks a lot smoother in the picture than it is in person. I’ve gone over it with a few coats Tie Coat Primer. I’ll post some pics of that a little later. I still have some details to work out.

The chassis black and black cote both say NON UV sensitive, so would have to use one of those. Obviously not re-doing my current car with it, but, may be “something different” for another project…

http://www.por15.com/CHASSIS-COAT-BLACK/productinfo/CHG/

That tears it, I need another project!

Todd you should buy the green '68 that’s on eBay right now. If I were in a position to buy it I would. Manual trans!!!

See T if you were a little nicer to me and flew out to help with my garage that new project might have found its way under your Xmas tree. But you were always too busy…

Uh-huh…that’s easy to say now…I didn’t fly out for your project, because, well…you just needed to learn how to stand on your own…LMAO.

OK I had a big elaborate response all typed out but even though it was a joke it kind of bummed me out when I reread it. So you’ll have to give me a minute.

The transporter who hauled my car from my parents house to my house thought the drain holes in the rear frame rails would be a great place to attach the tie downs.

I hammered tear closed and welded it up. Thankfully, the Maier sub frame connectors attached to the frame rail on both sides of the repair.

I found cracks in both shock towers after getting my car back from the alignment shop.

I haven’t decided if I’ll buy a shock tower reinforcement kit or make my own.

Prime opportunity to nix them altogether, and go modern up front! I’m sure I can help you buy two…errr…one Mustang II type front setup!

Heidts isnt too far away in Wauconda. Save yourself the shipping and go pick it up.

See, even Brick can help spend your dabloons!

Ouch! those rear frame rails look painful. I use the factory tie downs when I have to trailer a Cougar. They were supposed to be removed by the selling dealer, but most were left in place. If yours are gone, you can pick up a set for cheap since they were so common.

My factory tie downs are still there in place. I don’t know what that guy was thinking.

Wow been a while since i seen some glass packs. Cherry bombs? Do people still use them today with so many kinds of mufflers available today?

The glasspacks are from Thrush. I installed them in 1998. My Dad and I just welded up two 4’ lengths of 2 1/2" straight pipe with no H-pipe. As you can imagine, they were loud. They got me a lot of the wrong kind of attention. I’d have to say the people who hated them the most were the guys working the drive through windows. In my defense, I was only 18.

I’m going to quiet my Cougar down a bit by installing a pair of Magnaflow mufflers and a no-muffler kit from Pypes (and maybe some cut outs). From the tests I have seen, they seem to be the best compromise between noise and flow.

Here’s some interesting material:
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0212_ford_mustang_muffler_comparison_test/index.html
http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/psp/exhaust.html

I have seen these flow numbers on several forums, but I can’t find a reference to an original source.
All tests via an independent lab
All tests @ 15” wc

2 “ Straight Pipe 283 CFM
2 ¼ “ Straight Pipe 365 CFM
2 ½ “ Straight Pipe 521 CFM

2 ¼” Typical Bent tailpipe 268 CFM
2 ½” Typical Bent Tailpipe 417 CFM

2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet_ Glass Pack Tips- No Louvers- Smooth 274 CFM
2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet- Glass Pack Tips-Louvered 133 CFM
Same as above set for reverse flow 141 CFM
2 ¼” Cherry Bomb 239 CFM
2 ½” Cherry Bomb 294 CFM

2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Dynomax Super Turbo 278 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Ultraflow Bullet 512 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Gibson Superflow 267 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Flowmaster ( 2 Chamber) 249 CFM
2 ½” Inlet Outlet Flowmaster ( 3 Chamber) 229 CFM
2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet Thrush CVX 260 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Maremount Cherry Bomb 298 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Aero Chamber 324 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Max Flow 521 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Borla Turbo 373 CFM
2 1/2" Inlet/Outlet Magnaflow 284 CFM

BTW, the brown spots on the glasspacks (and the rocker panels) came from driving through a puddle of house paint. I didn’t know they made high temperature house paint. :eh:

I’m sure United wouldn’t mind if one of my carry-ons was a Mustang II front suspension kit.

Yep, those are Cherry Bombs… made by Thrush.

Cheap tightwads use them still…ask me how I know…LOL. Put Magnaflow packs on mine, since the price of two of them was less than one “normal” muffler…

When they wear out, I’ll spring for something different. At the time, I was just trying to stop the bleeding! :slight_smile:

I got a chance to play with one of my new Christmas presents. I don’t have a “before” picture of the rear quarter crease, but it was as bad as SleepyCat’s.

I still have some work to do.