Testing the waters, thinking about selling the G

I’d say somewhere between 25k and 30k.

I paid Coyote classics 18k for mine and although totally electronically and mechanically sound, (except for the fuel sender – last week) your paint job is far superior to mine and from what I understand, the original type rear defroster or power windows cost thousands of dollars just for the OEM parts.

There are no original power windows for a 1968 so that would be a real trick finding OEM parts LOL!!!

They exist.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/15837-Power-Window-Conversion-Front-and-Rear-Set-Repro-1968-Mercury-Cougar-/-1968-Ford-Mustang.html?attribs=76

From what I understand an aftermarket conversion is NOT a reproduction part, just a conversion or a modification.

If they never existed in the first place, how could they be reproduced & from what?

Electronic headlight doors are a conversion but will never be sold as reproduction parts.

Reproduction parts implies that they copied and reverse engineered an original.

Auction is live, bid early and often…

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-mercury-cougar-xr7-g-2/

Frank, I’ve been working on Heather about buying your G. You know showing her pictures, talking about a road trip to pick it up, and a visit with you and Jean, but she is not going for it so far. I’ve heard that it is easier to ask for forgiveness after the fact than it is to get permission, but as you know her bite is WAY worse than her bark. I could end up in very serious difficulty. I guess we will see. In the meantime, good luck with the auction.

Thanks Scott, would love to see the two of you in sunny Florida either way…

As we like to say here in the South… come on down!

In the comment from Brian Aust it says "The Cougar was actually THE first American car to have a sunroof offered “from the factory”.

This is not true. The 1958 Thunderbird had a manually cranked sunroof factory optional from the factory.

The truth is that the Cougar XR7-G was the first AMERICAN car to have a factory optional electric operated sunroof. Many European makes had the Golde electric sunroof (same as the XR7-G) as factory option several years earlier.

What about the (I’ve never seen) 100 or so 67 Cougars with sunroofs? Weren’t they electric?

Yes, they were.

Is the key word in there “factory”?
Were the 67 sunroofs not a factory installation?

Good point. Not sure they were ever advertised, but a few were certainly built. I do not think there were that many. I’ve seen two of them both of which were 1967 XR-7 / 6.5 Litre cars. They were equipped with Golde electric sunroofs.

I’ve never seen a lick of factory documentation proving that a sunroof was invoiced in 1967 as a factory available option. I have seen one 67 with one but it wasn’t on the Marti. Regardless of who or how it was installed, if it doesn’t show up on the Marti Report, I wouldn’t say it was a factory installed option.

+1

^^^ That’s basically the way that I understood it.

Those '67s were a trail run. Once Ford/Mercury was satisfied then they “officially” offered power sunroofs as an option for 1968.

Those would have to be added by the dealer as an option, probably real expensive to accomplish.

Besides, they’d need extensive auto body experience to perform a trouble free installation.

Even the standard 3 speed manual transmission is a rare option. It’s interesting to see what was popular and what wasn’t.

Anything that rare is likely to be super expensive–unobtainium

Just an opinion about something being rare 1 of 1 as all would say. To me a sunroof was a bad idea from the start guaranteed to leak. Something rare is just something nobody else wanted at the time, not something good to me. I try to learn from history, not to repeat mistakes. I had an old Dodge Dart Sport with a similar style sunroof, flew off the car coming out of the drive-in theater, totally ruined my chances of a second date with the girl I had with me that night. LOL
I would rather have the car that was most wanted at the time, The car that was most produced, proven to be a solid dependable car. I love older cars but don’t like the hype about rare being valuable.
I am not one to think I can build a better wheel. So the next time you see something “rare”, think about the fact nobody liked it then, so why would it be desirable today? That’s why there is only one. If a car salesman could only sell one of something, I would think they would be fired.
Something to think about??

I would respectfully disagree with your comment of rare being unwanted. Understand when Lincoln Mercury put 188 XR7G’s in airports with Hertz, I’m pretty sure they weren’t looking to sell 50,000 XR7G’s. These are special promotional cars that were designed to attract customers to the Mercury showrooms. You rent a beautiful sunroof Cougar and you say wow… You end up going to the showroom and find out the XR7G is a very expensive car and the salesmen now brings you over to a regular XR7 with air conditioning and you save $1000. I’, thinking lots of people wanted to buy an XR7G but the price just deterred them.

Just my 2 cents

The majority of XR7-G’s were overwhelmingly produced with sunroofs rather than without. Today’s market demand reflects the truth when the cars were new - buyers of XR7-G’s wanted sunroofs and prices reflect that today.

I’m glad in 50 plus years that our Black Cherry XR7G still has its sunroof and it didn’t fly off while cruising out of a drive-in theatre or parking lot somewhere. :smiley:
Steven

As a child I recall being in the Fred Jones Lincoln Mercury dealership I downtown Tulsa with my dad in1968. I believe he was interested in a Comet or possibly a used car. I was wandering around the show room. There was what I believe to be an XR7 G behind a velvet rope. I got my dad to take a look as my aunt had bought a new 67 Cougar the year before. He looked at the window sticker and jumped back. He told me not to touch that car, as it was as expensive as a Thunderbird.

How many were willing to spend Thunderbird money for a Cougar?