Testing the waters, thinking about selling the G

LOL! Apparently barely 619 (or 622, or whatever the final G count has settled at).

I’ve certainly heard of the Shelby Mustangs that sat on lots going unsold (especially by 1969), 427 Cobras, Boss 429s too.

Rare does not always equal desirable (bench seats come to mind) so certainly does not always equal value. But it often does and they certainly do in the case of a factory sunroof in any muscle car. As Royce said, the facts bare that out.

Seems to me teething pains where not unusual when auto manufacturers would debut forward thinking technology in a vehicle - retractible tops, fuel injection, super chargers come to mind. And I would guess that the problems were exacerbated by owners and mechanics that didn’t know how to properly maintain and repair that stuff.

• Phillip

No disrespect intended. My opinion with a bad experience. At the age of 16 I was not thinking about maintaining a sunroof at the drive-in. lol
I have just never liked the idea of cutting a hole in the roof of a car since then. The XR7-G looks like a great car. I am just not a fan of sunroofs, therefore it holds no value to me.
I just think the words rare, vintage, antique are used to create hype (value) for something that would otherwise be considered old junk. We are a world of labels to create a market. When I see a “sale” sign at a car dealer. My brain says the price was marked up for the sale discount. (walk away)
I once listed an item on ebay for $199.00 plus shipping $100.00, Item never sold. I relist same item for $299.00 “FREE Shipping” Item sold in one hour. Marketing, perception of a deal

MY Opinion; Me when looking at a listing for a car.
Rare- Nobody like it/ Not many ordered or made, hard to find parts? (Not one I want)
Low mileage - Even the original owner didn’t like it /wouldn’t drive it? (Maybe I like it??)
New paint - Cover up
Price reduced- Price was marked up so it could be reduced/ Priced to high to begin with.
Sale - Sucker
Has some rust- Honest
Basket case - I don’t have that much time left
Vintage- old rusted junk
Sunroof-NO
Antique- Before my time/slow (not for me)

Now with all that said; I own a rare, low mileage 45,000, p/s, p/b, p/w, a/c, tilt wheel/tilt away, am/fm radio,no rust,with one repaint 1969 Cougar Sport Special 351 4v. NO Sunroof. I went against almost all of my list when looking at this Cougar so yes I understand the WOW factor. They are just very cool cars. If it would have had a sunroof I would have walked away.

Actually I think it was closer to Lincoln money (if all the boxes were checked) and Lincolns often were a tick more than a Cadillac… Mucho money for a car you could not even get power windows on. You probably know the MSRP on an XR7G better than anyone, have you ever seen a G window stick get anywhere close to $6000? In 69 a CJ Vert could list for $6k, I bought a CJ vert one time from an original owner and he said his buddies made fun of him because he could of landed a Lincoln for the same price.

Good catch, we are changing the site to read “New” not Repro…

The MSRP on the one I owned was $5,366.50 Not saying It had every option, but I think I had most of 'em. I wonder if you could pack another $600 in options onto it.

Here is a hardtop with no AC, leather or cruise for $5366 I once owned. Soon to be debuted after a 10 yr resto.

A/C would have added 375.70 to your hardtop, but maybe it was N/A depending on the rear gear.

Still wondering how you’d get a convertible over $6k. The base car was $3,578: not sure if there was $2,400 worth of optional equipment available to order. Wonder how much speed control & a luggage rack cost?

Funny that our cars were very different (same color though) but priced .40c apart… How much was the drag-pac option? Yes, a few verts came with that package.

In December of 1968 my father paid $2,766.50 for a brand new but very basic, 1969 hardtop Cougar. I still have his cancelled check.

So the options really really added up!

• Phillip

Here is a Marti repopped window sticker for my G.

Cool, either way it’s an interesting but expensive modification.

Just saw this back up for sale.

https://springfieldil.craigslist.org/cto/d/lincolns-new-salem-1968-mercury-cougar/7163771459.html

What is the switch under the ignition for?
I don’t see rear defogger on the paperwork. Not the correct knob for the defogger.

Wondering if he did any work to justify the extra $4k over what he paid in February or if he’s just trying to recover the auction fees and transport costs… 1968 Mercury Cougar XR7-G for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $24,250 on February 3, 2020 (Lot #27,595) | Bring a Trailer

He has done quite a few things to improve the car since his purchase. Once again it sounds like a good deal but I would want to see it in person.
Link to more details: Untitled Document

Looking back at that BaT auction in early '20…Damn, if I was in the right frame of mind and had my Cougar energy flowing hard, that was a good buy!

So what is the price now? I’m gathering from comments about 28K?