The National Database Project

I tried to Register my 1970 XR 7 Cougar in the Data Base but the form will not take my Area Code , I’m in Canada.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Try leaving the phone number area blank and put the number in the comments section. I’ll send an email to Phil Parcells to see if he knows why it would not take your number.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

catman69 have you been able to get your car registrered? I emailed Phil and he cannot tell me why you are having this problem. He did say that including your phone number is not a required field so leaving it blank would not be a problem. Let me know if you were able to get though. Thank you.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Sent info… I think it will work this time…left out my ph# and postal code

catman69 if your name is Steven C and you are from NB then the registration went through. Phil says that you registered 2 cars.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

I sold the '69… Should I foreward the new owners name to the Phil?

Same problem with me, I am Canadian and on line registration form did not recognize format of my postal code (6 caracters - letters & numbers - this is the format here in Canada).

Nice Cat, Wish mine was a convert…
I didn’t fill in the postal code or ph #… so perhaps that’s how I managed to get registered…

You can let Phil know, he will add the information to the database.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

I’ll say something to Phil about this. The UK and I believe Australia also use the 6 digit letters and numbers style postal codes. I wonder how those have been coming through?

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Thks Catman.
Cathouse: well may be went through anyway… Phil would know.

I owned a '67 Cougar and have the manual with this Warranty Number in it 7F91C - 584719.
Can you tell me if this Cougar is in the Data Base?

That vin number is not already in the national database, but it will be now that you’ve shared the vin with us. If possible please let us have the rest of the information from the manual – the left door data code plate information, which looks something like this – 65A - A - 2A - 11F - 16 - 5 - W; as well as the original owners’ name and address, the dealer’s name and location, and the DIS - date in service. Thanks.

How can I go about having my car removed from the data base?

Contact Phil Parcells
cougardb@frontiernet.net
although it would be interesting to know why in the world you’d want to do that

cougar1, what does the data base accomplish, what is the goal?

The national database now consists of information on some 60K classic cougars ('67-‘73). Phil tells me he adds about 100 every month, as well as updating information on those already in the database. It is meant to track the history of the cars, the condition of same if it is known, owners of record, etc. Since we know what the factory produced (Cougar By the Numbers, Marti reports, etc.) questions often arise, as an example, as to “well, how many of thus and such are still out there?” The information is not published, except summary statistics, as Phil does not have the owners’ permission to do that, but he can and does answer questions by researching the database upon request.

There is a lot of false assumptions, old wives’ tales, and rumors out in the general public, that making your vin number available will somehow result in someone falsifying a title and obtaining ownership of a vehicle. Since starting in 1968 all cars must have their vin numbers readable from the outside of the vehicle, that’s all just b.s. When you dig into the stories there are no verifiable cases where a mere vin number will suffice to secure title to a car. In fact, one of the advantages of having a car in the database it to document ownership.

As you may know, I assist Phil with the national database; but, he is the only person who can add/delete information in it. This small answer to your question should not be taken as the “whole story.” Suggest you use the website to explore the information on the national database, as well as the specialty registries,and of course feel free to get the story directly from the “cougar’s mouth”, so to speak, by contacting Phil Parcells directly.

I’m Confused (nothing new…LOL)
I’d like to contact Cougar owners in my area that are Registered in the National Data Base …
5) The database can put owners of similar vehicles or similar localities in touch with each other–such as the small group of Sunroof Eliminator owners,ETC …
But it also says…Ownership will be held in strict confidence.
So how can I find the Cougar owners in my area?

1 - Is there a decal / placard that says “This Cougar is Registered in the Cougar Club of America National Data Base”
This would do two things
1 - Let people know it is Registered in the Data Base
2 - Let other Cougar owners know there is a Data Base.

Well the database is also good in that if you buy a Cougar and wants to know what history it have, if it`s already in the database, it can be good info to know, i guess minus previous owners names, if they opted to be held confident, it can also be helpful if a car is for sale, or have been sold, and it may be questionable if the car is what the seller claims, like an illegal rebody, or if a VIN # have been reported as scrapped in the past, and suddenly appears on a roadworty vehicle, or if a car is stolen, and the person that it got stolen from notifies the database, then it may reappear somewhere else, either by a unknowing new owner reporting his new car, or if someone else spots it, and send in the VIN #.

But as Jim said, contact Phil, and he will give you the answers about the database :slight_smile:

Hi I wish to register my 1967 cougar. I have owned car since 1982 and have restored to near new.

ID 7F91A560146 Door tag 65A M 2D 27A 53 I W

Dave Roper, Auckland New Zealand