The Top Cat is on the way back

Wow, those are trashed. Here is what the aftermarket radiator brackets look like installed.

Typical damage from a wrecker hooking up a chain incorrectly. Mine is all mangled in that area too. Even got the bottom tank of the radiator.

Wow, Thanks for the pics and info.

Progress today was to do a leakdown test. My friend had previously done a compression test and averaged 180 psi per cylinder. Today we did the leakdown test on a cold static motor that has not been run in almost 2 years.

Cyl #1 → 90 / 73
Cyl #5 → 90 / 76
Cyl #4 → 90 / 75
Cyl #2 → 90 / 77
Cyl #6 → 90 / 70
Cyl #3 → 90 / 75
Cyl #7 → 90 / 78
Cyl #8 → 90 / 75

All recorded secondary pressures are within 3-4 lbs of pressure accurate as measured. I’d say that this motor is stinking great!!!

The saddle part is probably still useable ~ the bent part is just the little tab that hangs down.

Be aware that there is a minor difference between '69 & '70 lower radiator saddles, if you care about such things.

Chuck, have you checked out your radiator yet? See if you still have your factory CJ / 4-speed radiator.

Check the numbers on the passenger side strap, they should show C8ZE-L or -L1. If so, take good care of it! They are rare and expensive.
If you decide to go with a modern replacement then either keep the original for a future owner or sell it ~ don’t just throw it away or recycle it.

Here is the radiator.

The C8ZE-S1 is a late service replacement with connections for an automatic transmission cooler. It’s not original to the car.

I also found another build sheet under the passenger side sound deadener!

Anything can get the gunk out of the paper?

So there was a relatively clean build sheet under the driver side mat and now this one under the passenger side mat. Whoulda thunk?

OK, while thumping on fenders, etc., this fell out of some body cavity. What the heck is it?

Thanks in advance!

That’s awesome! Can you please post a picture of the clean one?

Cleaning a tar-stained build sheet is pretty easy.

Build Sheet Cleaning Article

Here is an example of cleaning. At the bottom of the thread is a “before and after” of my own build sheet.

KTL also put together a video of how they cleaned a build sheet.

WOW! I read all of the articles on cleaning the gunk from the build sheet. It works as advertised. I immersed the build sheet in the wax & grease remover for 2 minutes and here are the results (see the original one about 2 frames before this post).

That’s pretty amazing! Notice the radiator shown on the build sheet is the correct one that originally came with your car.

Too bad that the engine in the car was cast after the car was built. I will be getting the engine and trans back from the cleaners tomorrow, maybe, and I’ll drop the oil pan and see if it looks familiar to me. I was told that the engine had been balanced and blue-printed by Iskendarian when I bought the car. I was also told it was an SCJ (turns out just CJ)

I did have the oil pan off in 1971 and noticed that the rods had the number “612” hand painted on each one. I read somewhere else, a long time ago, that this was the gram weight of each rod in a SCJ motor. I dunno. I am still finding out the real truth on this car, thanks to you guys that have all done my homework for me!

Thanks to all,
Chuck

That turned out really nice!

Glad to see that the method helped another owner. Has turned allot of original stained buildsheets into usable/readable documents to help with their car’s history as well as restoration.

Mine didn’t fare quite as well. It was a wadded up mess stuck to the drivers side floor pan. You couldn’t even tell it was the build sheet until I rinsed it in mineral spirits. But none of the codes are readable so it’s not worth much. I also found remnants of a build sheet taped to the drivers door behind the splash shield. Wonder if the build sheet originally had been taped to the door, and then was tossed on the floor after assembly where it got carpeted over.

Maybe because of the use of mineral spirits instead of the wax and grease remover (from auto paint stores)???

Royce,

There are no connections for an automatic transmission on this radiator…

See rear view

And front view

Chuck

Maybe you have the right radiator with a replaced strap? The ID is for a universal replacement - it was made to fit automatic but of course it could also work in a manual. Your bottom tank sure looks right.

Interesting. This is the second one like this that I’ve seen. C8ZE-S with 4-speed lower tank, dated 9AA.

Chuck, yours has a date code of 9AB (2nd week of Jan, 1969) so it is still definitely a replacement (WAAAY early for your build date). But it is quite possible that someone took two “bad” radiators and built 1 good one.