VIN 7F93C570326

Last night at my towns cruise night one of my fellow cruisers walked up and handed me a nearly pristine 67 owners manual. He said he found it among some papers of his and didn’t know he had it all these years later. Then he told me how as a teenager he bought the car brand new in Gary, IN before he entered the Army. He had the car on base with him when he ran afoul of the law and was caught with an unauthorized weapon under his car seat. The barrel had been cut and that brought in the ATF. He was threatened with all sorts of punishments and the ATF confiscated his car. Well nothing ever came of the punishments but he never saw the car again! Inside the manual the Owner Identification page was filled in completely, key numbers included. He bought the car from Bob O’Conner Lincoln Mercury September 30th 1967 and the data plate number was 65B T 6A 02C 41 O W. I was able to identify this car as a red XR7 with black vinyl interior with 289-2v, and an automatic transmission. The axle code O I can’t identify. Anyway I thought it was an interesting story worth sharing and told him that it was possible the car might still exist. So hopefully the registry can tell me so I can tell him.

0 is 2.79 open.

Isn’t paint code T in 1967 red?

Dave - Yep it was red, I misread my source. Thanks, correction made.

code 0 (zero, not the letter O) = 2.79:1 open. It’s not in the shop manual, but its the most common axle in Cougars in 1967.
Phil