VIN Number on Engine

All,
We have found the engine that was originally in the Red GTE that Bart Lovely now owns. I have seen Vin numbers on 69 and newer Cobra Jets. The location of this VIN is on the head not the block. Is this normal for a 1968 GTE engine?

Rob

Very normal and common. There was a federal law that required VIN stamping of engine components starting 1/1/1968. Most are found exactly where seen in your picture (on the cylinder head). The guy on the assembly line didn’t get the memo that there is a flat boss that is actually more suited for the VIN stamp in the webbing just above those top two bell housing bolts. I have seen VIN stamps in this flat boss area in later production small block cars.

Normal for all 1968 FE’s. The same number should be on top of the C6 case towards the rear.

The big “I” on the back of the block is also typical, as are the letters F, G, and H. We don’t quite know what they mean, but they show up on GT-E 427 side oilers and not on any other size engine.

As Royce said, my 68 has an I on the back of the block with VIN on head and transmission.

On the two 69 CJs one has the VIN on the head (may 69 build) and the other has the Vin on the block (August 68 build).

I foresee a couple GT E’s getting their original engine back where they belong :thumbup:

The Vin number on this engine is very close to the Vin number on mine. It is also a similar stamp with the first three digits tightly spaced and the latter three digits more widely spaced.

What heads are on that engine, mine or C8OE N with a 8B2 date.

Not sure how this will turn out. The motor in question is from Bart’s, red GTE and was installed in another GTE that unfortunately was in a warehouse fire with many other collectable cars. It had a glue lam beam fall on it and the roof will need to be replaced. It would need a total restoration as it got very toasty. The engine was not hurt.

Bart may end up having to buy the total car to get the engine. That is up in the air at this time. He would more than likely keep the motor and market the other GTE which was a factory black GTE. It lost its motor but still has its VIN stamped automatic. Bart’s current 427in the red GTE could be part of the deal.

So there maybe a project GTE available for someone soon.

Rob

CCarney,
We have not seen the cast numbers on the heads yet. The current owner says they are the “J” code that was common to the GTE 427 heads. The motor currently in Bart’s car have the CJ C80E-6090-N heads. And the CJ exhaust manifolds. The exhaust manifolds that were on the engine in the picture seem to be the older style GT-390 manifolds.

I have been told that the GTE had the GT-390 manifolds. Is this correct?

Rob

The reason I was asking the type of heads on the car is that according to Jim Pinkerton my car is the earliest one known to have come with the C8OE N heads (unless something has changed in the last couple years). So I was curious to see what yours are and I figured they would be the J heads. My engine has the original exhaust manifolds to the best of my knowledge and are also dated February 68. They are the 390 GT style exhaust manifolds which as far as I know is correct for the 427 GTE cars.

That is correct. That beautiful 427 LR was choked down with the tiny 600cfm Holley and fire log 390GT exhaust manifolds.