Vintage Racing Photos

Let’s mix some illustration in.

This is from the August 1967 issue of Car Craft Magazine and is a cut-away illustration of the STP Cougar Country funny car.

I always have liked this one just because of the intense look on Bud Moore face. You can tell by the expression what he is saying.
“Hurry up and get the damn fuel in it and get the son of a ## back on the track”.

^^^ Great pic Brian - I don’t think I’ve seen that one.

In almost every Bud Moore Engineering pitstop photo you can see Bud out hustling and working on the car.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen Shelby doing that.

Here are a couple more BME pitstop pics.

The one from the Paul Revere 250 is interesting. That was sort of a tryout race for the new NASCAR Grand American (Baby Grand) series that was to start the next year in '68.

You always hear that Parnelli Jones never won a race in his Bud Moore Trans-Am Cougar. Well, he did, he won the Paul Revere 250 but it was a non points race!

And the Cougars lost the 1967 Trans-Am Championship by what - 2 points?!!

Where was this one taken at? I live just down the road from the Yellow River Dragway where Hubert Platt had the mishap that closed the strip. Just sorta’ looks like rural Ga in the background. Some of the pictures I found during the races tell a story of not if but when as far as eventual tragedy (people would be standing in the middle of the strip during runs, very little in the means of crowd control, and safety equipment mixed with cars that were faster than the chassis around them).

There are two pictures of that 68/70 #15 Cat racing at Daytona in a period issue of Car and Driver. IIRC the car in those pics is a lighter color. I have that issue somewhere. If I ever find it again I will scan and post the images.

Cool pics. I think they would have had to surgically removed the seat if I had been the driver in the bottom photo.

Cool - I love vintage racing posters!

• Phillip

I’ve often fantasized about building an ultra-customized street Cougar based around a vintage style all fiberglass Cougar funny car body.

No working doors, you’d have to climb in and out tho it is interesting that the “LAKE” sponsored one above has the outline of the doors and handles.

• Phillip

At first glance, the perspective of this photo makes it look like two tiny guys are standing on the engine to work on it!

LOL, that it does!

69CJasraced2.JPG

I get a chuckle outta all the vintage drag cars with cragers, don’t think anybody would run them these days. :smoke:

That’s to funny. I missed that at first.
Steven

Don’t forget this one:

Sorry can’t post the pictures only the links due to copyright issues

https://revslib.stanford.edu/catalog/nx269gs6839

https://revslib.stanford.edu/catalog/nd452kh0787

^^^ yeah, when you all have a chance, browse thru that Stanford sight.

Lots and lots and LOTS of great, historical photos on there.

• Phillip