Vintage Racing Photos

Check out this Hertz G pace car at the '68 Lime Rock Trans-Am race.

I know i’m pushing it with the 1,its not a vintage photo but it is a vintage cat :unamused:

This thread seems to be going out to pasture so I figured i’d add pic 3 :laughing: to the mix :smoke:

CatsRock - The assembly line photo with the large rubber mallet and ball-peen hammer on the front fender with no cover really says something about how they were built in 68. Just wondering what it was that required a “little” final adjustment that brought out those big boys! LOL

Laughing, yea I noticed that even before I realized there were cougars in the shot :laughing: :smoke:

Cover of the May, 1967 issue of Competition Press & Autoweek.

You can tell from these photos that the T/A Cougars aren’t always the same exact car. Notice the placement of the roll bar isn’t consistent on the #98 car? Sometimes it is even with the door jamb, sometimes it is 8-9 inches forward of the jamb. Can’t find the link anymore, but the #98 car was or is owned by David Tom. Interesting story with that car.

^^^ Yes - I don’t have my notes in front of me but the first Group II/TA Cougar, or “mule” Cougar was initially modified by Dearborn Steel Tube or possibly Kar Kraft. That is the Cougar that David Tom reconstituted. The other TA Cougars were modified by Bud Moore Engineering and are different, most notably in the placement of the role bar.

It becomes even more interesting in '68 when Bud adds some dedicated NASCAR Cougar builds to the mix. Vent windows on some cars and not on others, the TA notched rear deck lids still on NASCAR Cougars as late as 1971.

Endlessly fascinating.

Here is the cover to a NASCAR program with a cool Cougar illustration on it.

Thats a cool program Phillip :beerchug: :smoke:

Love the “won’t be able to see it from my house” look the guy has on his face while staring at the front of that car.

Here is an awesome pic of Schartman’s '69 funny car.

I seem to remember “Fast Eddie”. Or was that my cousin from New Jersey?

His prices are insane!!!

Another Dyno Don shot. I thought I saw on BJ or Mecum a Sox & Martin car was being auctioned somewhere :smoke:

Great pic. My two favorite drivers and two favorite cars.

A couple of nice color shots of the “Dyno” Don Boss 429 Cougar from Car Craft.

I don’t think this was a good day at the track :smoke:

I know it doesn’t fit the 67-73 but i’m just bumping the thread :smoke:

^^^ That’s cool - I love vintage NASCAR stuff.

15 was Bud Moore’s number.

• Phillip