WCCC '68 XR7-G Giveaway - Official Thread

Crap, the first three know me(at least on the forum) too well, and only one is “open to bribes”…guess I better stop production of the feature film I was making detailing the pampered home this poor car would live in at my house…:sigh:.

My name is Sean G and a longtime fan and owner of Cougars. Also, a longtime customer of WCCC.

As a kid, I have always been passionate about cars. After serving in the Air Force I entered the automotive field and have enjoyed a long career starting as an auto technician which eventually led to my current career as a trainer/facilitator for an automotive software corporation due to my lifelong passion for cars. I am submitting this video for your consideration because it is an opportunity for me to start an amazing project car with our youngest son. My wife and I have restored several cars together including our recent (near completion) 1967 Cougar. At 13, I am elated that our son has entered the realm of, mechanics, hot rods & muscle cars and has been asking for he and I to build a car together. Not only for the shared passion for cars but also more importantly for the quality time that will create memories that every father and son should share. Our home garage/shop is set up to properly restore this diamond in the rough which will make an amazing first car he can be proud of.

I appreciate your consideration and wish the best to the individual that gets to experience this restoration.

Sean G

Hello, my name is Robert Swanson and I am a 22 year old farmer from central Illinois. I have always been a muscle car guy, my favorite being 67 and 68 Mercury Cougars. Mainly I am a Ford guy so i was always looking up different Ford muscle cars on the internet and in a huge muscle car book my dad got me when i was little, and then i came across the 1968 Cougar and i instantly fell in love with the lines of the car and it has been my dream car from that point on. Once i showed my dad a picture of one and he told me that my grandpa had bought a 1968 Cougar brand new in 68. It was gold with a black vinyl top and had a 302 with an automatic. My grandpa told me stories about that car for the 2 years that he had it, and i fell even more in love with the car. He told me how, even with the 302, it still broke the tires loose every time he left a stop sign. He was going to give that car to my aunt for her first car but thought it was too powerful for her and that’s why they got rid of it sadly. I would love to have this 68 Cougar, i know it needs a lot of work but i am willing to make it a great running car again. I can’t promise it will be done quickly, especially since i am buying into my family farm right now. I can promise that i would get this car working again and keep it forever. Thank you so much for your time!

Thanks for sharing, love the personal tie in to the Cougar you family has. Coincidentally I just got a call to look at a local xr7 barn find that is supposed to be low miles, original paint and NICE interior. I will let you know what I find!

For your consideration…

My name Is Joe S and stuck to the side of my toolbox are a couple old newspaper clippings advertising a few Mercury Cougars. The old yellow clippings were retrieved from the inside of a closet door. The closet happened to be in what was once my bedroom in my childhood home. I was probably 13 or 14 years old when I clipped these from the ‘Bargain News’ classifieds and hung them in my room. It was only a few years ago when helping my parents move from our old house that I found them and took them to put on display in my garage.

The Mercury Cougar was always my favorite muscle car. My father’s best friend had one when I was a kid and the electric razor inspired grill with hide away headlight was just plain cool. The sequential taillights were even cooler. If you asked me at that age what car I wanted when I grew up I would have said a Mercury Cougar with a big block in it. In fact, in 8th grade, our English teacher made us right a letter to ourselves as seniors in high school. The cool thing was that the school took the letters and delivered them to us 4 years later. What was one of the first things I asked the older version of myself? What did I drive!!! I even asked specifically if I had a Cougar.

My introduction to hands on wrenching started when I was about 9 or 10. My brother bought a gnarly lifted 1970 Ford F100. Big lifted pickups (as well as mullets) were in vogue at his vocational high school. We did everything to that truck! We pulled the body off and sanded and painted the frame due to the recommendation of a crazy neighbor. We changed the wheel/tire combination a bunch of times. Upgraded the axles and even managed to swap the FE engine 3 or 4 times.

My first car was a 1969 Mustang coupe I found in town for $1300. I didn’t even have my license yet but I knew I wanted to buy my first project car. I worked all summer painting a catholic school and started stashing away the cash. I also started combing the local newspaper for potential targets back when people bought cars from the paper. It had a 302 with a 2V carb, C4 automatic transmission, power steering, and horrible manual drum brakes (on all four wheels). I spent about a year or so going through the entire car and eventually had it resprayed the original Acapulco Blue. Then I got my license and I was off. I drove this car everyday (rain, sleet or snow) to school and work. This is what I was driving when I received the letter I wrote to myself in middle school. I think the prepubescent version of myself would have been satisfied with that answer, even though I really always wanted a Cougar. I still own the Mustang.

Once I graduated from college, bought a place and started a career I decided it was time to locate my dream car. I found and purchased an S Code 1967 Mercury Cougar GT with a 4 speed manual. I still (and will always) own the '69 Mustang and '67 Cougar. In addition to these two mainstays I have bought and restored a couple of F-1oos (1963, 1967), a pair of Ford Falcons, a '62 Comet and a '69 Mustang Fastback for my brother. Needless to say, I am a Ford guy (my dog’s name is Shelby), I have the experience, resources, and have read all the research / data from every relevant restoration source out there and think I can do this XR7-G justice.

My '67 GT

I have a garage/shop in which I house my cars and projects. I would use this location for the restoration of the XR7-G

I am quite skilled at locating parts and love chasing down unique parts to make a restoration perfect. I have a stockpile of 60’s Ford/Mercury parts. I literally have a spare set of 68 Cougar body panels waiting for this project car stashed in the rafters of my house. I have a complete interior, both fenders, doors, hood, two deck lids, original quarters, a complete set of glass, bumpers, etc. I also have a collection of period correct small block parts including two complete 302s and two C4s sitting in my garage.

Again, I appreciate your consideration and if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me.

Thanks,
Joe

Great pictures and interesting write up Joe! Recently I popped the trunk of a parts car we pulled out of the briers and found found a 1991 edition of the Auto Trader. To my surprise I found a listing of my driver. I had placed this ad years ago and trust me, THEY did the typo, not me…
pp.jpg

From a young age I have been a Ford fan. I remember being a fourteen year-old teenager and sitting in a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 (4-door) in a junkyard and thinking - this will be my family car one day… While I became good friends with the yard owner as I made many trips to sit in that Galaxie, I never did buy it. In April of 2010 I was authorized to purchase a project car, first thing I went looking for was not my 64 Galaxie but a first generation Cougar. I was always passionate about the 67-8 Cougars and had a fond appreciation of their intricate details and differences that made me admire them more than any other car, and there was no question, a Cougar is what I wanted to build. My search included some trips with my brother, trailer in tow, looking at vehicles that were misadvertised or simply too far gone. Eventually we found another’s project right in our neighboring town! The project had been stripped to bare metal, the body work that had been done had to all be cut out (see picture of what was under the filler on the drivers quarter [yes, those are huge gaps with spot welds filled with bondo as they attempted to use part of a front fender as a patch panel]), required additional metal work, ran rough but well enough to get on the trailer, and while there were some extra parts it was far from being complete and a lot of it was disassembled - the owner was giving up on it. I didn’t have to think twice, I jumped on the opportunity!

Not knowing precisely how to start, I reached out to the Cougar community and was honored to have an offer from Jim Pinkerton for a phone conversation and he really helped set me on the right path. I don’t have all the answers and know others have been where I was and have found solutions to problems I was sure to run into…why not leverage their experiences. Additionally, I recognize I have certain skills, but other elements of the project would be best served by professionals that have the skills and tools to do the job right. Laying down the paint, exhaust work, and interior upholstery are key examples of knowing when to use my wallet instead of my hands… And finally, I believe it is always important to have a clear vision of the end product prior to starting a project and to develop goals around achieving that final product.

So I began a methodical approach of documenting what I wanted to do, taking pictures, parts inventory, necessary parts, photoshopping my thoughts, developing timelines, and budgets (as well as tracking receipts, which I was warned about because the total number might make you sick). Seeking help where I needed it, I sought out two local companies for the upholstery and custom door panels as well as the exhaust work. Again, having a clear vision of what I wanted, and seeking more than just a paint job, I enlisted my brother and the shop at his house to lay down the paint. He and I spent countless hours working the body panels and bonding over late nights, the end product was a paint job that exceeded my expectations that I am proud to say my brother painted.

In December of 2010 my wife announced we were pregnant and I had to get ready. Instead of putting the project on hold, I worked tireless nights and long weekends, even taking vacation days from work to put time into the Cougar to get it on the road. At some point during all of this my father was so inspired by the passion I was showing in my project that he sought out his own Cougar and purchased a 69 convertible from the 2nd owner, which he has enjoyed over the years too. Since his purchase, while it was never a project there has always been something to tinker with; we find ourselves continuing a relationship from a different facet - when we stop by their house, we almost always end up in his shop wrenching on this, tweaking that, or just checking in for a quick minute. As I write this it is hard to believe that we have owned 68 Cougar, “Nala”, for over 7 years and what a journey it has been. Our 68 had the privilege to be selected in the 2017 WCCC calendar as an honorable mention. The calendar contest was a great conclusion to a year full of events including two major road trips in our Cougars (one to the WCCC Open House from Boise, ID; the other was a 6 car convoy to a car show in Baker City with a scenic tour home).

Since my son’s birth in 2011 he has grown up seeing me out in the garage, going for weekend drives, helping me hold stuff or reach into small places for me. He has always been my go to passenger for test drives around the neighborhood. Each summer he hangs out at a car show or two with me while we mill around admiring others work and talking with people appreciating our Cougar. My son has grown up pretending to drive, helping work on, and riding in our 68 Cougar and his grandfather’s 69 convertible, and just this spring my five year-old asked if we could get another Cougar for him. This prompted my wife to grant another authorized purchase, a shop! This fall we are breaking ground on a shop that will be a dedicated place to work on our projects over the coming years. This 68 XR7-G would be the ideal project to christen the Collins’ family shop where 3 generations will be able to come together, each generation learning from the others and another cat can be saved! Much like our current Cougars, I believe we would target a restoration that showcases some of the original elements of the XR7-G and is a car that can be driven, enjoyed by the community, and loved for generations to come. And much like “Nala”, I believe the enjoyment from the community does not have to wait until it is complete - part of the fun is showing people the progress and how much work goes into a restoration, the little details that make it your own, and the effort to retain the original designers’ concepts. We understand that the financial investment often exceeds the monetary value of the resulting car, however the value gained educating, bonding, and growing with peers and family has a value that should not be quantified in terms of money. When it comes down to it, I am excited to provide my son the opportunity to carry the memory of play driving a car all the way through to actually driving the car when it becomes his!

Thank you for the consideration,
Chad, Jenny, and Porter Collins

Hi I would like to submit my application for your cougar giveaway. I have restored several cars over the last 35 years including 2 Cougars a 1965 Shelby several trucks and numerous other mustangs ! I hate to see great old cars rust away and die ,leaving there fate to a rusty grave. I have the experience ,the tools and the shop to restore this great car back to its glory it deserves! Thank you for your consideration .

Dear judging committee and the community at large,

Thank you for taking time to read my entry. I’m a life-long Ford enthusiast and ‘67/’68 Cougar fan for more than 30 years. My father worked for Ford through the 70s, 80s and 90s, first in Dearborn (I remember touring the test facility seeing the cold room, wind tunnel, and riding in a full-size van on the test track) and later in Livonia, MI running the transmission dyno lab.

I learned a lot about how cars work from my dad on cold Michigan Saturday mornings changing the oil or helping with a tune-up. But my passion for the classics was something I was born with.

Several years back I was finally able to purchase my first Cougar, a 1968 XR7 with a J-code 302, factory A/C and Tilt-Away steering. I bought it off eBay and, unfortunately it had a lot more rust and other issues than the seller said, but I persevere in the repairs. Presently I am replacing the quarter panels and repairing the outer wheelhouses (I just test fit the quarter this afternoon!)

The reason I’m interested in the XR7-G Cougar is actually to start a project to work on with my daughter who recently turned nine years old. Unlike my two sons that have zero interest in cars, my daughter always asks to help work on the car with me. Every time she helps and uses a new tool, I draw up a badge for her. This would be OUR project.

Admittedly, I’m not an expert restorer, but I’m not afraid to try anything when working on cars. I taught myself to weld and even built a set of headers for the 429 in my wagon. As I have done with my ’67 Mercury Commuter Wagon project, I will be keeping a blog (here is the one for my wagon… https://mycarrestorationprojects.blogspot.com/) showing the work I’ve done and the tools and products I’ve used, so it can serve as a reference for others. I do this because I know there are a lot of people, just like me, that face challenges in their projects and they just don’t know how to tackle them.

I have all of the tools I need to be able to restore this Cougar. I have an enthusiastic helper who would love to have a project to work on with her daddy. I have the experience do extensive repairs on Mustang and Cougar unibodies (I’ve built the entire front box on a ’69 Mustang and have done floor pans, torque boxes, patches, upholstery, rebuilt engines and transmissions and all manner of oddball repairs). And at the end of the month, we are moving and I will have a 30’ x 40’ outbuilding (I’ll be moving my lift, too) that will give me plenty of room to spread out.

For a Dad that loves Cougars and a daughter that loves cats, this XR7-G project would be an incredible start.

Thanks for your consideration!

Paul and Julia (my daughter) Van Kirk

Because the world has enough Hondas, Toyotas and Chevy Volts. This car is a piece of rolling art and it would be a shame to see it vanish from the planet. This classic needs to be saved from being a footnote in history and I would be very happy to be the person that brings this piece of art back to its original glory.

I am throwing my hat into the ring again, see my posting/story below.

Hi, my name is Marlin. I am for the second time entering a “Win it Here Promotion/Contest”. To start off, I think a little background information on me will help you understand why I am willing to put my time and emotional stability on the line for this contest.

I am a Classic Cougar lover and owner. My father, who is a mechanic by trade, purchased our family’s first and only Cougar; it is a 68 Cougar XR7. He purchased the car well over 30 years ago. During its first years in our family it was our family car. We traveled from Idaho to the coast several times in the car. After about 10 years of use as a family car, the old cougar was retired, and my father started a restoration of the vehicle. He built a stroked 351 Windsor to replace the stock 302 V8. The car received a new metallic maroon paint job, with a custom made silver vinyl top. My dad also installed a mustang shaker hood scoop; it was painted to match the vinyl top and a silver strip adorned hood and nose, which also matched the other silver trim. The interior stayed original dark green. Our family had a great time driving around the car. After a few years of weekend driving, my father got tired of the car and looked for a new fun way to play with it. This is when he started drag racing the car at the local drag strip, Firebird Raceway. He added traction bars and upgraded the shocks; although his start times left a little to be desired he did win a few races, my daughter has one of the trophies in her room. He wanted to go faster so he built a stroked 390 big block. According to his calculations the new motor in the Cougar is equivalent to a 444 cubic inch beast. This new motor was used to drag the car, but it appeared that the stock uniframe was getting tweaked at the weekend outings at the track. That was no good, according to my dad; so he retired from racing. This is the exact time he acquired a new toy, a 67 Fairlane GT.

The poor Cougar got parked and was only driven a handful of times over the next several years. My father completed his restoration of the 67 Fairlane. Now he had two toys; one fresh and shiny and one that was starting to show its age. The Cougar got played with one last time about 5 to 6 years ago. During this trip the car suffered a hung valve while traveling 120 mph; that was the story I was told. My dad decided to fix the car one last time. He took the Cougar to a friend’s shop and had the motor pulled. He then went through it and rebuilt the stroked 390 V8. This is when I came back into the picture as it relates to the ownership of the cougar.

During my father’s years of building and playing I grew up and I also restored a 68 classic. If you can call a Jeepster a classic car, I do wish I still had that one. I then went back to school, became an engineer got married had three kids; damn where did the time go. Well back to the story, my parents needed more room in the garage and they asked me to list the Cougar for sale. I did and my dad had several calls; he never was able to part with the car. Here I come into the picture with my wife. I told my wife we needed another car. I told my wife about the old Cougar in my parent’s garage. I informed her it would be a fun car; it has a “new” motor and suspension, not to mention a lot of family memories for me. I indicated that though it was old it was well taken care of, and unlike a new car I can work on this car if it needs anything. I also weaved a line of logic that pointed out the fact that this is a classic; and unlike a newer car this one would only continue to increase in value. My wife bit and I forged forward and acquired the car from my dad.

For several years my wife used the car as a daily drive; this was a little bit of a backfire in my plans, because I wanted to drive it. It was at this time I also started to fix some of the things that I neglected to tell my wife about. The list started with getting the AC back up and operational, still working on that one. I replaced the light switch, also had the drop bracket for the steering ram rebuilt. I replaced a power steering hose; about half dozen electrical components went out, and the rear driver’s side window regulator broke. On top of all that my wife wanted me to install a 3rd seat-belt in the back seat so all of our kids could ride safely in it together. I thought I was finally getting on top of the problems and the power antenna that my dad installed broke, that one is going to be a pain to fix but it is on my list.

So why in the world would I want another cougar? I grew up in a family that loves cars, and I have a new family that loves cars. I want them to have some of the same experiences that I had; that can only be done when you take something from a raw beginning and work together to build something that is more than just a car. I also believe that I have the resources, to over time breath life back into this great old cat. My experiences rebuilding my own 68 Jeepster and helping my father with his cars and my recent experiences with my new “old” Cougar make me a great choice. I also have a laundry list of contacts through my father that can help me address just about any issue that I come across. In addition to all those reasons I am also a “recent” transplant to the Oregon Coast which is nice and close to the WCCC Shop with all its parts and knowledge. So please consider me and my family as an option for placing the very tired 68 XR7-G Cougar you are trying to find a new home for and my current 68 XR7 would have a friend in the garage. I know my family would provide it a new lease on life and it would be a life with a family that is familiar with and respects the Classic Cougars from the mid to late 60s.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Hi! My name is Amber! My boyfriend’s dream car is a 67-68 Cougar. I have been trying for months now to find him one to surprise him with because he said if he gets a cougar I can plan my dream wedding. I know that sounds completely stupid but hey I am a girl who fell completely head over heels in love with my best friend.

My boyfriend Joey is absolutely in LOVE with all cars. He works full time at a shop called Jackson Motors (even his boss has tried to help me find him a cougar) and he also goes to school full time to become a Master Mechanic. His life revolves around cars and how to fix them the way he wants them. He spends so many late nights working his butt off, If I want to spend time with him during the week on my days off I hangout at the shop with him and look up cars that we dream to have. I check all selling websites for cougars every morning and night. My boyfriend Joey honestly has no idea I do that, he thinks I don’t care if he gets a cougar but I do.

He already has an engine ready to go in one. He has the color paint he wants and plans for all the interior, rims and tires all planned out.That’s how bad he wants one. I would literally do anything to get him one and to make his dreams come true. He is such an amazing guy and has been by my side more than anything. 2 years ago I lost 3 friends and my aunt all in a years time and he never left my side. Ever since then we have been inseparable. He means the world to me and he’s my future. I just want to make him as happy as he makes me. He puts up with my hangry attitude and I am pretty positive any guy who’s dealt with a woman’s hangry side knows how bad we can get lol

Thank you for listening to me rant and hopefully being considered.

Thank you, WCCC, for the opportunity to enter this essay contest for the 1968 XR7-G project car.
I want the opportunity to restore the classic car as close to original as possible. What a Beauty!

The 1968 XR7-G project car would be treasured! As a passionate Mercury enthusiast, I recently completed the restoration of my 1971 Cougar convertible. She has a 351 Cleveland, C-6 transmission with a Edelbrock 1406 600 CFM. I have owned a ’86 Cougar LS, Grand Marque, Capris, and Montego. There is something special about Mercury cars.

The ’71 Cougar convertible restoration helped me establish contacts that would be beneficial to the project car restoration. I have located and purchased classic car items and services from salvage yards, parts outlets (including WCCC), local merchants, and tradesman. I talked, discussed, debated, and taken advise from lots of car “junkies”. I have honed my computer skills with my new mantra: the internet is my friend; U-Tube is my mentor. As a side note, thank you WCCC for your informative videos!

Recently my wife and I have graduated to empty nesters which affords me more time and resources to devote to my next project. I have the skills, facility, tools, desire, passion, and dedication to complete the restoration of the 1968 XR7-G project car. Please Pick ME. Thank you.

Yea there are no easy restore of a car. Everyone I have done I have found a surprise that I did not know. I have always learn a new technique or skill when doing one. :think: I think it is always best if you are not sure not to be afraid to ask questions from someone who has done the same task.

Hello,
My name is Tony Althoff and I would like to start off by introducing myself. I am a 31 year old 3rd grade teacher in Deadwood, SD. I have traveled all over the globe while growing up. My dad was in the Air Force and I did 7 years in the Army. The reason why I tell you this is that through all of my travels I have always looked for old cars. I tend you keep my eyes open for 60’s and 70’s muscle cars hiding in old sheds, behind barns, or down alleys. This love for muscle cars all originated with a Poppy Red 65 Mustang. While living in Spokane, WA a 5th grade teacher had one. When I heard that engine rev, my mind couldn’t think of anything else. I think there was a time I almost took a football to the side of the face because if it.

I found out one day that my dad still had his first car, still stored away at my grandpa’s house in an old shed. It is a 1968 Dan Gurney Special Cougar. On our way from Spokane to Scott Air Force Base, IL we stopped in the small town of Waubay, SD. And there it was hiding in an old shed, like most of them do. My Dad pulled it out of the shed and for the first time ever I was able to get behind the wheel. I was on cloud nine driving it down the old dirt road just to fill up the tires. After that I was obsessed with Cougars. I would save any magazine article that had anything to do with Cougars or Mustangs. I spent countless hours looks at car parts and reading articles on tips of how to repair them, and at this time I didn’t even own a car let alone a Cougar or Mustang. In fact over the last 8 years with 4 different moves, my wife grabs that old tote with all the articles, and every time she asks if she can throw them out, and every time I give her the same response… No. This last move she didn’t even ask, just picked up the tote and threw it on the trailer.

When my dad retired from the Air Force, I had just graduate from high school in Germany. My family ended up moving back to Waubay and I attended college at Northern State in Aberdeen. The first break I got from college I begged my dad to take the Cougar out of the shed. Since I drove that Cougar I had been dreaming of getting it back to original condition. I think we spent a majority of that bitter cold November day loading up his car and parts that he had accumulated over the years. That Thanksgiving my Mom about grabbed me by the ear to get my head out from under the hood and at the dinner table.

I have helped my Dad with his Cougar when I could or when he isn’t working. He may have retired from the Air Force but the man doesn’t sit still for long. Halfway through college I wanted to find a project of my own, which ended up being a 1965 Mustang, my original love. I restored that car to something you would have seen on the street in the early 70’s. I took it down to bare metal patching floors, replacing quarter panels and rear frame rails. The whole restoration took about 8 years. All the while my dad’s car is still not done. Between me moving to the west side of the state and him busy at work, the Cougar still sits, hiding in an old shed.

I understand how hard it is to find Cougar specific parts, as Mustangs get a majority of the attention from the reproduction company’s. That is why NOS parts and also cougar specific parts vendors along with sourcing a parts car will be beneficial for this project. I have the ability to undertake this task by breaking larger areas of the restoration down into smaller more manageable tasks. I also have a wealth of knowledge from reading through several articles that are Cougar specific as well as Cougar social media pages. My wife will be happy to see the old tote wasn’t lugged around for nothing. But the biggest help will be my dad who has owned his car since 1978. And I feel the frequent calls and questions he’ll get while I’m restoring my Cougar will spur him to do the same.

Regardless of who gets to enjoy this restoration adventure. I would love to see the end result, nothing better than seeing some Americana back on the roads. A car like this needs to be driven not hiding in someone’s shed, behind an old barn, or down the side of some alley. I would like to thank you for your consideration and good luck to whom ever you choose to win this rare and incredible piece of motor car history.
Tony Althoff
I have added a picture of my garage and my mustang and also a 1982 Toyota SR5 I have been working on.

Hello from Idaho!
My name is Jaden Garcia, I am 16 years old. My dad has a 68 XR7 and is on the way to a fully restored cougar with a 390 motor. We also have a 64 Fairlane 4 door project my dad rescued from a field death in Oregon. That one has a 260 V8 in it! I don’t deserve this car for any particular reason, I’m not even special, but you know what? I’m more than confident that my dad and I can turn it into a functional road killer. My grandmother always said her favorite car was her 69 Cougar, tragically it was totaled in an accident while my grandmother was in high school. My dad has long dreamed of owning another Cougar ( he had a 70 with a 351 Cleveland in it when he was stationed in Georgia). While he was deployed again last year, he found a 68 XR7 on craigslist, and had my Step mom and his dad go check it out, and they bought it and brought it home for him. So he returned from deployment, my step mom picked him up in it, and he got to drive it home!! My dad and step mom are very much in love with the car, and have worked constantly at bringing it back to beautiful shape. Believe it or not, it is my dad’s daily driver!! It is a blast to ride in too, and never fails to get heads turning. From our own garage, with my dad’s tools, and some of my great grandfather’s tools and equipment (inherited after he died) combined with years of knowledge, and genuine love for old ford and mercury cars we can give this very special cougar a good home. It excites everyone to think of sharing the experience of building another family car under the Garcia name. The money comes right from our pockets, and at the end of every single hard work and school day WE WILL BE ON THE COUGAR. To conclude, it may not seem to anyone that we deserve this car more than any other person or family, but we will do our very best to bring it about to it’s former glory, no matter how long it takes. I can promise that we WILL take care of it, like it should have been in the first place. My dad showed me the youtube video for the giveaway, and gave me permission to write the essay. Thank you for your time, and best wishes to all the Cougar lovers out there!!

Jaden Garcia

Hi to those who will judge and those who will read this essay. My name is Kevin Durdle and I live on the Far East coast of Canada, in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador; in a small town on the North Atlantic. Yes it is a far away land when it comes to custom restoration work and sourcing parts but I am doing well in convincing myself that this only increases the length of time that one gets to spend with the project. In reality there is no doubt that it increases frustration and expense but it can and it is being done. Although I don’t be on the forum much anymore I can say that when I purchased my 1969 390 XR7 convertible I was there every day and read all the comments on cougars, every cougar. I needed all the advice I could get then and now.

First a little about me; no I am not a mechanic or body man or any of those occupations associated with restoration work. I started my career in construction with a beat up old car that I had to fix constantly, usually joking: fill up with oil and check the gas; I am sure many of you know what that sounds like. I did construction to help pay for training in ministry and then after graduating with three children in school and lots of debt I became a multi-faith missionary in Canada’s biggest city. One of my children now lives in Seattle so this has given me the opportunity of visiting WCCC a few years ago and having the privilege of seeing so many, once so beautiful, vehicles.

My cougar journey started as a twelve year old boy learning to drive on a friend of my grandparents; the then almost new 1967 cougar (my memory tells me it was a blue / white combination), on what were then gravel backroads. He would visit and always let me drive his car for an hour or so by myself. Although this would never happen today, in those days in an isolated rural area this was not that uncommon. I was bitten by the cougar bug. As I grew older I stayed with Fords, old Mustang, Torino and some old ford pickups and of course the family mover, an Aerostar; I came close to having a cougar several times with a 1976 cougar being the first one I actually owned. It had a 400-m engine and I thought it was the best car on the road but it had to go when dad takes mom and three children to seminary. Then in 2009 I purchased a California via Florida 1969 vert in Rode Island. It was like a childhood Christmas and I was grinning from ear to ear as I towed it home to Canada. I bought the least rusted one I could find and afford, knowing there had to be hidden pitfalls; and as expected I have spent the time since; when time and finances permit, restoring it.

This was a good match for me and my developing skill sets and I hope to have it on the road next year as I have never driven this beauty. My two daughters have laid claims to it already; well really ever since I brought it home hence my reason for applying for the opportunity to restore this one; they may have to share the other for hopefully many years to come.

While realizing that this 68-G has more work to it than I have done on the 69, yet I know that it is possible for me to do this. I expect this project will carry me into retirement and a renewed sense of urgency and purpose. I do know about the struggles of getting money, parts, and time to work on the car as well as dishonest body shops and such; but I also know the joy of family times when working on one of these magnificent beasts. Can I set a deadline on restoration completion… after previous experiences I would not even guess; saying only that it brings frustration and joy; a love –hate (pull your hair out) relationship. Patience it has definitely taught me, having to wait to get parts or to find somebody to show me what to do next or even to point out my mistakes and stretch me to continue when at that moment I really wished a buyer would magically come along and give me at least some of the money I had invested in this car. I have not been successful at attaching pictures of the car from the gallery here but can say it is getting close to being completed. I am hoping to license and drive for the first time either this fall or next spring. Just in time I hope for another even rarer cougar.

For me it has become an amazing release from the stresses of the type of ministry I do. Restoration… new life to a car considered by most to be well beyond its lifespan or value. Bringing in a sense resurrection: something back from the dead, after all that is what I believe… so why not a 1968-G Cougar. What better a car to hear roar back to life again? Blessings to all who are looking for this exciting opportunity.
Thank you; Kevin

I’m excited to enter the WCCC '68 XR7-G Giveaway with an opportunity to put another beautiful classic Cougar back on the road. My name is Dan, I live in Dallas, TX, and evidently I was born with a passion for history and preservation since I’ve spent most of my adult life involved in activities and with community and civic organizations dedicated to conserving and safeguarding our heritage, be it aeronautical, architectural, or automotive.

Growing up I was an avid history buff and model builder working mainly on cars from the 60’s and military equipment and airplanes from WWII. I was obsessed with accuracy and detail - sometimes using really tiny brushes and a bioscope from the biology department at my high school to add highlights and realism (like pupils in the pilots’ eyes :open_mouth: ). In college I was fortunate enough to spend some time in England, France and Germany and was fascinated by buildings, landmarks, cars and planes that had survived the war. In the early 1990’s during a visit to Ashville, NC my new wife and I saw a B-24 and B-17 flying in formation overhead. I had never seen an actual “warbird” in flight before but soon learned the origin of the 2 planes and that they would be visiting our home city of Charlotte, NC within a few weeks. That visit led me to become involved with a grass roots aviation history group which had gained possession of the original hanger at Charlotte Douglas International Airport. I volunteered my time with that group for years, enjoying Tuesday work-nights at the hanger restoring a variety of aircraft and artifacts, eventually serving on the Board of Directors as its youngest member, and helping with the group’s acquisition of a Douglas DC-3 in original Piedmont Airlines livery from what was then USAirways (before it could be sold into cargo service in Latin America as was planned). The Carolina’s Aviation Museum is now one of the premier aviation museums in the south and is home to the Miracle on the Hudson Airbus A320. Since moving to Texas 20 years ago, I’ve stayed active in the preservation of aviation history and maintenance of historic aircraft through the Commemorative Air Force.

My appreciation for historic homes also began when I was a child visiting my grandparents’ home in Winston Salem – the house built in 1920 that my dad grew up in. I loved the way it looked and felt and I spent time exploring the locker of items from my great uncle’s time flying B-17’s in the war and imagining all of the old cars that once occupied the garage in the backyard. In Charlotte my wife and I purchased our first home, a prewar cottage which we spent countless weekends and evenings restoring – including the original garage with carriage doors and a dirt floor. In a neighborhood where many of these homes have been replaced with newer construction that home remains as one of the few originals. I now own my own residential contracting business specializing in the renovation and preservation of historic properties. I was lucky enough to marry a girl who for 26 years now has supported and shares my interests in preservation. She’s allowed me to spend my weekends doing projects around the house, visiting airshows and attending car shows. We have restored and lived in 6 prewar homes, she’s let me fly in over a dozen antique aircraft, and she has now survived one ground up restoration of a ’68 Cougar.

As a kid, my favorite Hot Wheels car was the lime green Red Line 68 Cougar (wish I still had that car). A few years ago when I became interested in actually owning a classic car, I set out to find a '68 Cougar - and just to make it easy decided I wanted to find an original factory 4-speed. After months of searching and a few misfires (cars advertised as original 4-speeds that didn’t code out correctly), I came across a fresh ad on CL with 3 pictures taken at night with what looked like a flip phone of a 68 Cougar “with a 4-speed”. I called the seller and he said someone was coming by at 9:30am so I said I would be there at 8:30. I rented a trailer and drove down to find this Nordic Blue Cougar tucked away in the backyard. The first thing I did was check the door tag and sure enough it coded as an original 4-speed. It was a San Jose car with a Dallas DSO, so I thought there was a good chance it was in Dallas it’s whole life. Walking around back I noticed the dealer tag still in place - Eagle Dallas, no longer there but a dealership that was only a few miles from my current home. From watching Don’s videos at WCCC I started going over the car checking condition. The vinyl top had been removed (probably saving the roof), minimal rust at the hood lip and deck lid lip, small rust spots below the quarter windows, rusty cowell, holes in the floor pans, dash pad disintegrated - all manageable and not that unusual from what I understood. This was my car. No title and ignition was drilled out (uh oh) but I paid the guy on the spot and trailered her home - thought it was probably worth a roll of the dice.

Long story short, I tracked down the previous owner (through a title search company, google - why can’t you look anyone up in a phone book any more? - and a guy I thought could be his son). Over the next 8 months I developed a relationship with the 80 year old gentleman, hearing about his life prior to and after acquiring the car (1st owner was a lady who put 900 miles on it before deciding she didn’t like the manual transmission), talking about my plans for the car, and showing him progress pictures of the restoration. Yeah, I know, a bigger gamble since he did confirm the car had been stolen from a storage facility a few years earlier. But I had the sense that he wanted to see the car restored. Eventually he signed a power of attorney allowing me to title the car and I pushed ahead with the restoration, but I was so grateful for the opportunity to get to know him and hear his stories of the car. “Carcheology” is one of my favorite things about cars and the people that own them - hearing the stories and learning the history of the cars and the people that own them.

Well this is where this forum and others come in. Given my obsession with details, my desire to really get it right, and the fact that this was my first experience with restoring a car, I found myself headed down the rabbit hole - What are correct finishes for various parts and components? How do San Jose cars differ from Dearborn cars? Where does the red oxide primer transition to body color? Overspray? Pinch welds? Long or short handled window cranks? Original vs reproduction parts? How to you get a phosphate and oil finish? And so on. After 2-1/2 years of hard work, I wouldn’t say I have a concours quality car, but I’ve sure tried hard to be true to the original designers and all those guys on the assembly line that put these things together in the first place. I really wanted to honor the engineering and construction of this car and bring it back to its former and, as much as possible, original glory (although I did give it new shoes and a tone-ier exhaust). Other than an engine rebuild, structural metal, and paint, I did all of the work myself, including vinyl top, headliner, upholstery, and wiring. Here are some before and after pictures.

So the XR7-G in this giveaway deserves another shot a the open road and I think I can do a good job with that. Plus my wife is worried about me. She thinks I’m happier and healthier when I have a project going. I need to dive into something new - and the car-obics (you know, getting up and down off the ground a thousand times) helps keep me limber in my advancing age. I’ve read the other entries here and there are certainly a lot of deserving and devoted Cougar fans out there. These forums are such a great resource, and one of the things I like best about the car community (it’s true of the aviation community as well) is that the passionate people involved are so eager and willing to share their knowledge. There are so many folks here with so much to offer on the restoration of these cars! If I’m lucky enough to receive this XR7-G, one thing I can guarantee is that everyone on this forum will have a hand in its restoration.

Thanks for the consideration and can’t wait to see this XR7-G back on the road!

Dan

Hopefully as they say; the best is saved for last, or at least close to last. I’ve been plotting and planning how to enter this submission since receiving an email in early June.

I know I’m new to Classic Cougar Community but have been on other forums and part of the cougar community for years; I hope it doesn’t count against me being a new member as I’m continually open to meeting other cougar enthusiasts and learning new things.

Below is my video submission to hopefully win your opinion on why I should be the winner of this generous giveaway.

BTW, Don if after you watch this and it jogs your memory; If Stacey still needs a set of mirror bases; please feel free to get ahold of me. I tried to get in contact with you a couple times with no luck.

Again, thank you for this great opportunity and feel free to contact me with any questions or comments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mT-Z0yy6E4

My first car I ever owned was a 1968 baseline Mercury Cougar. As I write this I can see it parked in my back yard. I have owned and enjoyed this car for 40 years. It is complete with all parts working, but is getting tired and the parts can be used for a restoration of a more significant model. Right now I have a 69 351 Windsor factory 4 bbl with all matching numbers in it - a very rare engine - pushing 350 hp.

When my Dad took me out car shopping, he tried to steer me in the direction of utilitarian vehicles, like a sad Valiant we tried with a slant 6 . . . but my uncle had introduced me to hot rods and street machines at the early age of 8 and I was a goner. So when we looked at the Cougar that was the one. Since then I have owned a few 67-68s, restored one 67 and rebuilt mine many times, with an accumulation of spare parts.

My earliest memories of cruising and racing with my car have been the fondest ones . . . now that I am able to take on a big project such as this one, with a complete donor car, a large garage and all the tooling and experience and resources needed, I could see myself spending the quality time to do a great job saving this car from a fate too horrible to think of.

I am glad this contest caught my eye, as I already have your catalogue of repro rubber parts for my car, and the vast amount of replacement parts that you have as well. I can’t see having too much problems finishing this restoration if I were fortunate enough to be the winner.

Thanks for the opportunity, you guys are doing a great job . . . Glen Mantie