WCCC '68 XR7-G Giveaway - Official Thread

68 Cougar XR7G Contest Essay
By Spencer Kowash Age 12

Hello contest judges, my name is Spencer Kowash and I am from Klamath Falls, Oregon and this is my 68 Cougar contest entry.
When I was 5 years old my dad decided to fix up his 67 Cougar that he had for 20 years and, looking to try and help I asked if I could help him with the restoration of the Cougar. This is where I learned about the anatomy of most cars and I quickly grew to admire the car and want one for myself. My dad has since built a shop for his work and has kept up his work on the cougar. Now without further ado here are some reasons I think I should get the Cougar.
Reason 1: Experience. As previously mentioned my Dad has restored his cougar that he has had for the last 27 years now and continues to work on it today. So if you think that it will be given to someone without experience you can rest assured that even if I can’t figure out how to fix it up my Dad can help with advice.
Reason 2: Location. At the location I’m living at we have a shop that would be perfect for fixing up a car like this cougar. Also we have a lot of the parts needed to fix up the car already so I can fix it up quickly. Also living in Klamath we have the annual Klamath Cruise so I can show off the car in all of its glory.
Reason 3: Care. In my hands the car will be taken care of because my Dad has instilled in me the love of muscle cars, because of this appreciation of an amazing era of cars, you can rest assured that I will take care of it.
Reason 4: As noted my Dad has huge influence in my life and has taught me so much and I would truly appreciate the opportunity to be able to work with him on this cougar to carry on a family tradition of this truly awesome classic car.

Dan,

I think this would be a great project for you and your daughter! Now that you have one under your belt and did such a fantastic job, it would be a wonderful fit. She is the perfect age to share this experience. Take it from me it’s the best.

Matt

Doing a video really makes your entry stand out! Thank you for that glimpse into your hobby! If you do not win I would like to give you the runner up prize, a restored (albeit blemished) deck lid moulding for your wall art.

Dan- great story and I really like the pics

Charlie

Normally I am a man of few words. Get me on a passion, and my apologies in advance. Additionally, I believe a car is partially about the car, and partially about the story behind the car. Here is mine.
I remember the first Cougar I saw when I was 12 years old on a family summer vacation in 1982. As we drove by the car parked in a driveway, I thought what a beautiful looking vehicle from all angles. The following year the car was still parked in the same place, and looked even better. Upon returning from vacation, I went to the library (that’s what you did then when you wanted to look something up), and read about the Cougar. I couldn’t decide whether I liked the 67 or 68 better and thought one day I will have a garage with one of each.
I have a couple of older brothers who were real gear heads at the time owning a variety of what today would be incredible Mopars. For my 16th birthday, they managed to find a 65 Valiant that had been written off bought it for $75 and gave me my first car. Within a year, I had found a 67 Cougar 289 4V and spent all my savings, $800 to buy it. I had so much fun in that car picking all my friends up everyday in high school. I also remember washing it every Friday afternoon regardless of the weather, or if it needed it. Unfortunately, a combination of my heavy 17 year old foot, on gas and tickets, plus the fact that the frame connectors were badly rusted forced me to sell the car to someone able to repair it. I managed to get $1000 for it, but the second I sold it, I had seller’s remorse.
I drove various uninspiring imports for probably a year, when, through one of my brother’s friends who worked weekends as a tow truck driver, I learned of a Cougar in the towing companies impound yard. I went and had a look, and it turned out to be a beat up looking red 1967 with a black interior. When I opened the hood a rusty old 390 was looking at me, missing parts that people had taken as it sat in the lot. I looked at the VIN, saw an S, and started inquiring about who owned the vehicle. The tow yard told me it had been there for two and a half months, and in a couple of weeks would be auctioned off. They called the owner who came down and told me the car wasn’t for sale, but he had a 289 one that was. Since the tow and impound bill was closing in on $400, I told him I would pay that, and give him $50 for his signature on the transfer paper. After brushing off his profanities, I suggested I could just wait two weeks until the impound yard seized ownership. With some negotiation and a lowering of the impound bill, the seller walked away with $100, the tow yard $350 and I an S code Cougar.
Immediately, I pulled the engine and began a rebuild. I poured hours of time and all my money into rebuilding the engine which a number of months later, purred back to life. I didn’t put much time into anything else on the car, and after only driving it for a few hundred miles I ran into a self induced snag. The police pulled me over for allegedly drag racing a 280z (who I beat) and being unable to prove their claim, they decided to look over the vehicle. They were unimpressed with the lack of a functioning horn, and lights, but the massive crack in the windshield was the thing that got the car parked. What can I say I was young and dumb.
Shortly after this I went to college and put the car in storage wherever I could find it, sometimes indoors, sometimes out. My intention was to restore the car when I got some time. That was 1990. A couple of years later I was in a horrific car accident that left me paralyzed and a with a life turned upside down. My short career as a pilot was over and I spent the next few years recovering and going to University to pursue a different career path.
Twenty years passed and I settled into life getting married and having a daughter. Again the 67 moved from one storage spot to another, getting started maybe every five years. Around 2012 I had managed to move it to my father in laws place where I was able to work on it. Floors were now gone due to a rusted lower cowl and every body panel seemed to have rust holes. I began removing the upper cowl and quickly realized I was in way over my head. My wife kept telling me to do something with it, either fix it or get rid of it. I checked around the body shops in my town, none of which wanted to take on that large a project. I called Cascade Classics who after hearing my description, told me the car would never be worth the price of restoration, and discouraged doing so. I appreciated their honesty but was crushed.
I figured it was either the crusher, or find someone who will do it without a budget or time constraint, and without the overhead of a shop. I got that break a year and half ago. Through a client, whos son’s friend worked in one of the few restoration shop in my town, I got an introduction to Sean. I was told he did odd jobs in his shop at home. He came and looked at the car, and after saying a number of times “are you sure you want to restore this car” I was nervous. He explained how we could get one in better condition and transpose everything including factory wax pencil marks to it. “No one would ever know it isn’t this car”. My answer was probably not the one he was looking for… “I would”. He told me that he didn’t even know where to start with a quote. I told him I didn’t want a quote, I wanted someone wanting to restore the car to better than new, I would bring cash and parts when necessary. Charge me fairly, and if there is a decision to be made along the way, I will likely go with what you suggests. He took it on, with the caveat that it went to the shop he worked at to strip and blast before going to the shop at his house. I acquired a parts car in addition to all the parts I’ve accumulated over the years.
It has been progressing slowly but Sean is now as excited about it coming back to life as I am. Panels are being hung, and my 11 year old daughter and I are rebuilding the motor I rebuilt more than 25 years ago that has about 200 miles on it. My daughter can’t wait to go for a ride, and I can’t wait to enter local car shows and recount this story.
When I saw the XR7-G giveaway and told my daughter about it, she told me to get it so we can go to shows together. Earning the privilege to restore an XR7-G would be an honor and would be an incredible story to go along with an incredible car. It would also solve an early question of 67 or 68.

Thank you so much for this opportunity.

For the Judges.

My experience with mercury cougars began in 1984,when I purchased my first car a 1978 mercury cougar xr7. This car cost $1,800 which was a lot of money for a high school senior back then. The car was gold with saddle interior and half padded vinyl top that was saddle in color as well. This car was well equipped for a car back then. It came with power windows, power locks , power seats ,power steering , ac with climate control, cruise control, rear defrost, lighted door locks, power antenna. and power moon roof. From working on this car I learned how to change a water pump, fuel pump, re build the carburetor do a tune up, replace tie rod ends booth inner and outer,change u joints , and replace rotors, pads , and calipers for the front breaks and shoes for the rear breaks. Also I learned a lot on how the moon roof/ sunroof works by replacing the cables and glass , because one of the cables broke the glass got cracked. Over the years that I had this car I added some factory options that were not on this car, intermittent wipers, and cornering lamps in the front lower fenders.

In the late 80’s, I was at a land air and sea event with my parents and grand parents with there classic car’s. This show was put on by the Veteran Motor Car Cub of America or VMCCA . There were classic cars , hot air balloon’s and boats at this event. A gentlemen showed up to this event and was driving a dark green car with black vinyl top with sunroof and tan interior. This car looked similar to a mustang but it wasn’t . After talking to this gentleman I found out that it was a 68 mercury cougar with some special g package. The car had a 4 barrel 390 motor with a chrome dress up kit, fog light’s in the front valance special cutouts on the rear valance for the exhaust, different river side mirror , sunroof, ac and tilt wheel. Also there was the wood shifter handle , unique console and xr7g emblems as well. Granted the cougar is several notches above the everyday mustang, but this version even bumps the cougar up more. I asked the owner of the car if he was going to be here for a while he said he was. I rushed home to get a camera to take picture of that awesome car and when I got back the owner and the car were gone. From that day forward I decided that the xr7g cougar is the ultimate classic/muscle car to have.

1991 came around and I acquired my second car a 1987 mercury cougar xr7 5.0 motor with low miles . This car was white with gray interior and had hail damage. I got a good price for the car because of the hail damage. During the years that I owned the car, the hail damaged hood and trunk lid were replaced. Luckily I found white ones at a local junk yard,no paint required yeah. Also the passenger door window was replaced due to somebody breaking in the car to steel the radio. Replacing these body panels and window taught me how to adjust a hood and trunk lid for proper alignment and how to change out door glass. After having this car for five years it was totaled by the insurance company because of a engine compartment fire. A faulty alternator caused the fire. For a replacement car I could not find a cougar a that time so I settled for a 1992 thunder bird. This car was black with gray interior 5.0 motor and one of my favorite options a sunroof. On this car the passenger door was replaced due to a passenger getting sick and opening the door and smacking it against a fire hydrant before I could come to a stop. Found a black door at a local wrecking yard score no paint required here. From this experience of hanging and aligning a door, it is harder than you think.
In the mid 90’s I figured it would be cool to have cougar’s that were ten year’s apart starting 68,78,88. So I bought a 68 cougar with sunroof missing the 390 motor for $ 500 00. I Acquired a motor from a 69 ford. A coworker and me re built that motor. I purchased a portable sand blasting kit from harbor freight,sand blasted the engine compartment painted it satin black before the engine and transmission were installed. From working on this car I have gotten to know how the sequential turn signals work and how the power steering system works as well. FYI if you get the two small hose connected backwards from the valve to the ram the steering wheel/ front wheel’s turn back and fourth very fast. After having that car for a while I sold it.

Fast forward to 2008. I started thinking about 68 cougar’s and that g car that I saw back in the late 80’s,and how cool it was. So I started looking for a g car. In 2009 I came across a 68xr7 302 4v,auto ac,power disc breaks ,power steering , door edge guards and tilt wheel. Color is grecian gold with white vinyl top and interior changed to black. I Snatched this one up and have been enjoying it. While still searching for a G car for some time, I figured that a project g car. may be the way to acquire one. Since 2009 I have acquired several parts for a g car. Front g valance with correct lucas fog/driving lights,rear g valance driver side g mirror, a g hood scoop that need a little fiberglass work, passenger side dash cluster with the xr7g logo ,two Delco Remy g horns, a reproduction hood pin kit from the guy in Connecticut. I found a xr7 sunroof car that had to much body rot in the lower part of the car, so I cut the top off that car saved it as well as the original windshield, rear window, window trim for the front and back, trim moulding for the vinyl top to 1/4 panel’s / trunk, trim molding for the vinyl top that goes on the drip rail ,xr7 instrument cluster booth sides, xr7 wire harness and back seats. I found a good deal on four Bosch motors for the sunroof, so I snatched those up. I plan on keeping one for back up and sold one. There are two extras if somebody needs one . I also have a 302 j code intake manifold that could be used for this car. not shure if it is date code correct. Other parts that I have acquired are driver and passenger door’s,trunk lid, front fenders. and good bumper cores . Some things I have purchased from WCCC are g emblems for the grill / roof pillar’s, g emblem for the trunk , reproduction trunk lock cover, trim ring’s for the exhaust cut out’s, weather stripping for the front windshield and rear window and door’s a 68 head liner for a sunroof car in black. If I win maybe Don will let me swap out the head liner for a blue one sense the interior on the give way car is dark blue. The only things that I have not acquired yet are the g console, wood shifter handle leather door pull straps, center caps for the wheels, exhaust tips and the g car.

This year I went back to Carlisle PA and Detroit MI for the 50th anniversary celebration of the Mercury Cougar . I got to see a lot of cars and especially the g cougars, took lots of pictures especially of the g car’s. While I was their I met a lot of a lot of nice people in the cougar community and had lots of fun and learned more about the xr7g . If I win that would be great, if not I will keep looking for the right g car for me.

Thanks for your consideration
Scott Rice.

Ha! Thank you very much Don!! It does stick out like a sore thumb not having the molding on there.

Thanks Matt. She enjoys spending time with me in the garage and actually named the first project “Freddie” as in Freddie Mercury or Freddy Cougar (Freddy Kruger) - channeling some 70’s pop culture

Thanks Charlie, it was a fun project and I’m psyched for another one. BTW I’ve been a fan of the TR6 since I was a kid! Would love to have one of those in the stable too!

Lots of good candidates to receive this XR7 G. The judges are sending emails around but, I think it’s going to take a few days to get this narrowed down to one!

Yes. Lot of good candidates. Good luck too all.

Wow! Now that the deadline has passed, it’s not going to be easy to choose just one winner. As Brian said, this will probably take a few days.

I’m amazed at all the passion there is here, and how many are willing to dive in headfirst to save this car and bring it back to its original glory. There are some great and compelling stories here, and many highly qualified individuals. Thank you all so much for taking the time to enter and participate in this. I’m excited to see what happens from here!

As a judge in this contest, I just wanted to say thanks to all that have made submissions, especially in the past number of days. It is definitely going to be a tough process to pick just one, however there is a very good point system that is going to be used to determine the ultimate winner.
For those submissions that will not win the ultimate prize… I have really enjoyed your stories and plans. If you get a chance, please do get a project Cougar and save it for prosperity, even if it isn’t one of the sought after cats such as a G, GT-E, or an Eliminator.

I have at least 3 customers that after entering our previous give away contests went and bought a project Cougar and dove in. The next give away car needs to be a GTE or convertible. If anyone has any leads I would like to hear from you! There were several submissions this year that I thought were very good, thank you all for your submissions!

How about that one in your shop which meets both your criteria?

That’s a good one there Jeff, I got a good laugh. I bet Don will as well.
Steven

Yea hmm I think he would thousands of people entering for that one.

To whoever wins this contest, I offer my harness refurbishment services at a significant discount: the winner pays only for return shipping. I can work on the headlight, underdash, tail-light (minus sequencer electronics), and dash cluster harnesses, plus any minor accessory harnesses. All four would normally run $350. My services include a 2 year warranty/guaranty, unlimited technical support, new fuses, a spreadsheet describing all wiring colors, numbers, routing, etc., all at a no questions asked return policy.

Consider this adding to the “Paying It Forward” mentality. That, and I must be drunk at the moment…G This may make things a bit easier for the winning entry.

Lots of good stories, and there’s going to be several disappointed people who submitted.

That’s a very nice offer. Things like the giveaway and your offer is what makes the Classic Cougar Community so great! Well done!
Steven

Never thought of that! If only I could get my grille back from the guy up north who is restoring it… 6 years now!