Weatherstripping - repops

Oh wait - I was wrong. You do need to reuse the chrome just like on the XR7. Your chrome is just a lot narrower than the XR7. Maybe lacquer thinner will remove all that glue.

I’ll let you know. That’s one of the projects for tomorrow. I also bought a can of 3M adhesive remover. Then there’s alway…F-I-R-E!

Now I am confused too. The WCCC website shows the standard Cougar weatherstripping being clipped to the chrome. But that may be an XR7 picture because other suppliers of the weatherstripping for standard Cougar show the narrow chrome as part of the weatherstrip. Maybe someone else with a standard Cougar can clarify.

1 Like

Well the guy from Repops was supposed to get back to me today after talking to “tech” (who wasn’t there yesterday), but I haven’t heard from him. I’m guessing it’s a shrug off. Notwithstanding I dreamt a vision last night for how to take my trim piece back off without destroying it (rained all day today so didn’t happen); anxious to see if my dreams work any better than reality. I also took the chrome trim piece and worked on taking the adhesive off where it joins the body, and discovered #'s. 1051292 USA - but I can’t find anything that correlates with that. I also tried heatgun and solvent to release the rubber weatherstripping from the window side but it is crimped into the chrome piece. I’m guessing what I got is what I get, but I still have to get the upside down piece back off before I proceed.

SCORE - Retro1 = 1; Opposition = 0
I got the “erroneously” placed weatherstrip off without destruction. Took a wider plastic trim fork and slipped it down from the top, and while applying outward pressure, pressed down on the top of the weatherstrip to disengage the tang of the clip (which were facing “up” seeing as I put the weatherstrip on upside down, which also means, on the wrong door) Not to violate Forum Decorum, but: “Praise God!” I know it’s a minor issue, but in my world all issues are diabolical!
Now, for the “others”, like myself, who have more bravado than know-how, here are some insights (to the others, forgive the elementary nature.)
The weatherstrip is held in place by judicially spaced “clips”, they only line up one way, BUT, if you have the wrong side door strip, it will line up “upside down” - gabeesh? There is a “long edge” and a “short edge” above and below the clip - The “long edge” goes down, that’s how you’ll know you are on the right door (when the clips align with the cutouts while the long edge is down). The oval cutouts that they clip into must not have outward dimples in them (from previous pulling?) and I would suggest taking a small punch to each to make sure they are “flat”, thereby ensuring the weatherstrip fits “snug” to the door.
weatherstrip clip

Now, for the educated ones who are trying to get me through elementary school - I really feel I need “something” more between the weatherstrip and the door for environmental purposes. A small bead of black silicone? Or 3M weatherstrip adhesive? Thanks in advance.

I did try to “de-glue” the old piece, but the rubber material is “crimped” right into the metal backing, it will not work as a backing plate for my new weatherstrip. What I’m curious about now is, the quarter window has a wide chrome piece lipping over the door (XR7 style), but now will transition into “nothingness”. Is that the way a base coupe really is?

Impatience won. I decided to just run with it and put the Repop in (correct one, correct side, rightside up) and if I need to satisfy my OCD with some silicone later I will. I find it queer that the glass doesn’t touch the weatherstripping in the front by at least 1/4" and it makes no difference how I adjust the runs (I loosened them both and ran front and back without bringing the glass into contact. Presently the back run is almost all the way inboard and the front run is nearly all the way outboard. Beltline is closer than it was before, greets the roof-line weatherstrip; I’m calling it quits and going on to the “easy” one - the door panel weatherstrip and its staples! Yeah!

1 Like

Good call! No need for sealant when you have a 1/4” gap anyway. My quarter window is that same way.

Well at least I won’t be the only one; besides, the rain drops in Florida are at least 3/8" in diameter, they’ll never fit through that gap!

I finally found the video where Don discusses beltline weatherstrip replacement. Looks like you do have the right one for a base Cougar!

Yeah, those window-to-door weatherstrips are really just there to keep the volume of water into the door from exceeding what can drain out the door bottom drains.

Yes, the w/x is wrong. I took a few pics of a std here.

Yep, that’s what I’ve got now. Thanks Bill, for the confirmation. I may have to add a couple screws to satisfy myself.

And fortunately for me that’s all well primed now.

Actually I just watched that vid the other day, but I didn’t notice anything in it about weatherstripping; just mechanism. Thanks! I’ll watch it again.

So I finished, and although I have thoughts of replacing the guide inserts, I believe I have to take the whole window out to do it, I decided to “save for later” and button the door up. Now I’m finished and realize - I forgot to put the new watershields on. Unbelievable.

Been there… Forgot that… both sides!
LOL!

I’m hoping when I get to the other side I will have learned my lesson!

Lol - I forgot to plug in the courtesy lamps - also on BOTH doors.