Weatherstripping - repops

I did try to “de-glue” the old piece, but the rubber material is “crimped” right into the metal backing, it will not work as a backing plate for my new weatherstrip. What I’m curious about now is, the quarter window has a wide chrome piece lipping over the door (XR7 style), but now will transition into “nothingness”. Is that the way a base coupe really is?

Impatience won. I decided to just run with it and put the Repop in (correct one, correct side, rightside up) and if I need to satisfy my OCD with some silicone later I will. I find it queer that the glass doesn’t touch the weatherstripping in the front by at least 1/4" and it makes no difference how I adjust the runs (I loosened them both and ran front and back without bringing the glass into contact. Presently the back run is almost all the way inboard and the front run is nearly all the way outboard. Beltline is closer than it was before, greets the roof-line weatherstrip; I’m calling it quits and going on to the “easy” one - the door panel weatherstrip and its staples! Yeah!

1 Like

Good call! No need for sealant when you have a 1/4” gap anyway. My quarter window is that same way.

Well at least I won’t be the only one; besides, the rain drops in Florida are at least 3/8" in diameter, they’ll never fit through that gap!

I finally found the video where Don discusses beltline weatherstrip replacement. Looks like you do have the right one for a base Cougar!

Yeah, those window-to-door weatherstrips are really just there to keep the volume of water into the door from exceeding what can drain out the door bottom drains.

Yes, the w/x is wrong. I took a few pics of a std here.

Yep, that’s what I’ve got now. Thanks Bill, for the confirmation. I may have to add a couple screws to satisfy myself.

And fortunately for me that’s all well primed now.

Actually I just watched that vid the other day, but I didn’t notice anything in it about weatherstripping; just mechanism. Thanks! I’ll watch it again.

So I finished, and although I have thoughts of replacing the guide inserts, I believe I have to take the whole window out to do it, I decided to “save for later” and button the door up. Now I’m finished and realize - I forgot to put the new watershields on. Unbelievable.

Been there… Forgot that… both sides!
LOL!

I’m hoping when I get to the other side I will have learned my lesson!

Lol - I forgot to plug in the courtesy lamps - also on BOTH doors.

I did the same thing inside my doors using red primer so it would look kinda like factory.

Oh yeah! Looks a lot more presentable than mine! Good job!

So Bill, the quarter window chrome piece - is that standard coupe also? Or is that XR7? The guy from Repops is saying I had XR7 trim before.

“hockey stick” trim is the same for all cats 69 &70 as is the w/x strip. Most likely why this issue.

1 Like

Referring back to my picture of XR7 door trim, and Cougar Bill’s picture of standard door trim, the trim and w/x you originally had on the door was different than both. What you have now is correct.

1 Like

I love being correct; it happens far too infrequently. I was just re-clarifying in fear of running into more trouble when I continue on with the beltline kit. Thanks!