Wellington blue G with red interior

Just saw this XR7-G with sunroof for sale. To me the color combination looks a bit odd, I wonder how many were made in this combination.

https://www.autoworldofconway.com/used-Conway-1968-Mercury-Cougar-XR7+G-0000008F93J562054

Looks fairly complete. And yes a pretty odd color combination. But at least it’s not green/red.

Looks like it lived its life in a very salty and wet place. No other XR7-G’s in that color combination. According to CBTN only 15 XR-7 Cougars built like that in 1968 model year.

It looks worse than mine!

Did anyone notice the mileage: 3,144 - could that be original?

They would take $9000

Sure if you understand it is 100,000 more than that.

Well it was parked in 1978, that’s only 12 years. But I guess you are right.

“No other XR7-G’s in that color combination. According to CBTN only 15 XR-7 Cougars built like that in 1968 model year.”

There is only 1 other 1968 Cougar in the database with this color combination.

I remember seeing a similar car at the 1987 Nats in Dearborn, and thinking the same thing… what a strange color combination!

I thought Ford and Mercury had procedures in place to avoid undesirable color combinations like this.

I seem to remember hearing that as well. But I bet as long as you had a checkbook you could get whatever you wanted.

Is it really that bad? If black and red look stunning then a very dark blue with red cannot be that bad. Dan Gire has a Black 67 GT xr7 with dark blue interior. The match box of the 67 cougar is lime frost with red interior.

I think it’s distinctive. Maybe not for everyone but I knda like it. Problem is the car is severely rusted. Someone will have to either do a lot of work or pay to have it done.

I dont believe its all that bad but I do remember hearing this, some combinations were not to be orded together.

That is exactly the point. If the quarters are through like this, structural issues will follow. The combination works for me very well. Green and red would not though…

If you check your 1967 or 1968 Color & Upholstery books, there were “recommended” exterior and interior color combinations.
But there was no policy preventing a customer from ordering anything.

Having red and blue butt up against each other is a “no no” in the design world.

It is hard on the eyes and will even cause a “vibration” if you stare at it.

Rules are made to be broken, and for instance in the case of the old psychedelic posters designers did that on purpose, wanting to jar the viewer.

The darker the blue, the less the effect.

• Phillip

Quarters and most every other part is now made for repair but I would have to believe a good sun roof section is near impossible to find now days.

Add me to the “I kinda like it” group. Interesting color combo, not offensive to me. I feel like I’ve seen some old Mercedes or Porsches with similar color combos.

No there were no rules or combinations that could not be done if both were regular production items. And there are also the combinations were the exterior could be special order if you wanted to pay a little more for that. But if they were both RPO then no up charge if the customer was ordering the car.

Were “rules” or guidelines possibly came in was when the factory was building cars to be sent out to the dealers for their inventory (no specific order/combination) those would typically be cars with combinations that the company believed would sell well - including option packages or grouping.