Wellington blue G with red interior

IMO this is an awesome color combo and is reminiscent of vintage European sports cars like Andrew mentioned. I was tempted at first with it being the same color as my '67 GT (Caspian blue vs Wellington?) but the fact that its a 302 auto and very rough makes it not a reasonable car to restore. The color combo is the defining feature IMO. I think this would be a stunning car when done and the only G built in this combination

This car can be restored. It just needs a good donor car with rust free sheet metal. The interior stuff looks salvageable and the 302 isn’t a bad thing to many of us. If it were mine I would probably add factory A/C.

It can definitely be restored. The pool of people willing to tackle an extensive resto is shrinking by the day. Paying a shop to do it would yield a huge monetary loss so people in it for the ‘investment’ are out of the picture. That leaves enthusiasts who are passionate and willing to do the work themselves. IMO its not rare enough to justify 6 years of weekends to restore it. I wish luck whoever buys it and I hope it ends up being saved and not rebodied

With a G car the key is having all of the G specific parts. Sheet metal is sheet metal. Everything but door skins are being reproduced, and those are coming soon I hear. In my opinion this is a great way to get into a G on the long term payment program. I would get it running at least well enough to go around the block and then AFTER doing a really thorough examination of the car top to bottom, start buying the parts. Once you have the sheet metal bought then save up some more for the labor to do the cut and paste metal work and then the paint. While the car is in the shop you can start doing the rebuild of every sub assembly and most of that is really clean up, paint up and put away. It would be, over time, still very expensive and probably not profitable financially, but it would make G car ownership possible and a lot more fun than saving your spare change in the hope that you can raise enough money to buy one that is done.

G cars are endlessly fascinating and way, way under appreciated and misunderstood, at least in the larger, collector car community.

Like Bill said, get it running and enjoy it while you research it’s history, restore and/or acquire parts needed, etc.

If you take the right approach, it can be a very pleasant way to occupy your time and your mind.

• Phillip

Curious if anyone else noticed that as abysmal as the passenger side looks, they don’t even show the drivers side.

Intriguing car for sure. But not for $9000.

Jeff, thanks for sharing your experience with this the way I remember this is that it was more of a 69/70 year model application, clearly model year has nothing to do with it.

As of today the car is still available.

I agree with Phillip I think the Gs are under valued

You wouldn’t be slightly biased would you? :smiley:

The G’s are a kind of a diverse group. It’s hard for me to get excited about a small block. Of course a Hertz is always cool. Definitely on my want list in some form.

Yes I am biased, my interest span is short,big block only and 68 G or GTE and truthfully like the G better.

Al, I just clicked on the first pic on the link and then the right arrow and there is like 47 pics that include the drivers side. John

I did click through more than once. Maybe all the pics didn’t load for me. Sometimes connections can be squirrelly.

When the ad first went up there were only about 8-10 pics and none of the driver’s side. Now that I have seen the updated photos, I would say the prospects of saving that car are even more grim.

Since I love Sunroof Cougars I tried to purchase this car. I was told they have dealers lined up ready to pay $8,500 3 deep…they wantv$9500 for the carcass. Knowing how hard it is too find sunroof parts and thefact that I love G cars and dont have one…I had to give it a go. I spoke with Ron at the dealership and he fwd extra pics and when I instructed him how to check if the cables were locked up…he confirmed they were not and the video clips he sent shows the sunroof insert seems to be solid under the vinyl. My offer of $7500 was too low and they feel confident Im not the only East Coast Idiot that would consider the purchase. Soo Im going back to my existing 69 Sunroof XR-7
Which is now painted and awaiting re-assembly…here is a link I shared with the dealer of my 69 sunroof panel in motion.
https://youtu.be/rAXRLO4suQ8

I’m sure that’s absolutely true. :naughty:

Truthfully you’re probably better off. After viewing the new pictures this car is a train wreck.

That works very well! I think you made a fair offer. Likely they will be in touch when they figure out they have it priced too high.

Anything is possible, but I don’t know?

I have sunroof parts…like…extra wells…cables…motors…and have always LOVED Vintage Cats since my 2nd car I purchased at 17 a Highland Green 68 6.5 litre XR-7 with a 3 speed toploader. I currently have a 69 Sunroof XR-7 ready for re-assembly after paint. I spent a lot of time pouring over the additional videos Ron sent. “The floors are in good shape” is not the case whatsoever…true they look better than most of the car…but …if you know where and how they rot out…you know those spots are not exposed until the car is on the lift. The exhaust tips are gone…the front valance is smashed in at the fog light.
Im really trying to stick to my guns and not get sucked into its only a grand more pretzle logic. Currently I have my own version of “Bang Shift” Cougar from motortrend up on the lift and have a total control suspension a 408C and Tooloader to transplant.
Secretly I will be hoping the dealer wise’s up and realizes my offer of 7500 is real and fair…if not …I will be happily toiling away in Joes Garage waiting for race season to bloom !

I dont know why but i actually like this car and the color combination. Can i afford it? Heck no lol but i can picture it restored and looking gorgeous all done up.

thanks
pat