Yes, another wheels thread

Ah, do what you want. But I think we already have enough out of proportion looking clown cars.

steelies with the nuts showing, or with caps.
This Imp has 17’s on the rear and 15’s on the front.

Thrifty and menacing.
More on a Chevelle: http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/showphoto.php/photo/12115/cat/500.......custom

or a set of vintage wheels:

Did i just read cougarshaman promoting chebbies?

What’s the world coming to?

:bloated:

I know totally different year, and not what I would ultimately choose, but steel does have a certain BA appeal:

Especially when what you have under the hood is BA…

I’m all for vintage but these wheels were way ahead of there time…late eighties-ish and fugly. No disrespect to those that own any, just my opinion and seeing how I dont get to have one at home I thought I would let one out here. :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

Ok, maybe I should get more into the way I want to car setup. I have been saying all along since I started building the car (as some may know) that it is a street toy. Well it is, but, I want to to be more of a road race inspired car than a drag car. I want handling and stiff supension, to take the corners as fast as the tires will let me and not roll over. Basically I want to be able to drive it like you can a Porsche GT3. You just can not do that with 15 inch tires, unless they are only 22 inches tall. I want lower center of gravity, and the tires to not try and pop off the rim when I take a corner hard.

I have had this vision for the way I want the car from the day I got it in 97, not long after I turned 17. I wanted the taller wheels to take a lot of roll and spring out of the tires, not just for the bling factor. Let’s face it though, wheels make or break a car, so looks play into it as well. I am not trying to “roll on bling”, if I where, I wouldn’t be talking about polished over chrome.

I guess the old saying is true, “opinions are like bungholes, everyone’s got one” :dogpile:

It is sort of like people arguing over the best kind of racing. “NASCAR RULEEEES because I am a dumb redneck and when I get drunk it’s easier to just was them make a left turn instead of watching them go all over the place” and “IRL is the best sort of racing, and I’m a snotty French Douche” :flipa:

Now don’t everyone get all pissy about that one, I know there are lots of NASCAR fans here, it is just a joke. Just like I wont get pissy for people telling me that what I want to build is a “G-ride” or a “clown car”, let’s just try to keep the insults to a minimum. Not sure if you are all aware, :piss2: 68fastcat is the one that people all loved to hate.

Anyway, to what I am trying to accomplish. The car is going to be a variation of candy red, but a little on the darker side, with painted silver E-stripes and black scoop and spoilers. Mostly stock appearing car, with some subtle changes like the gauge cluster that has already been done. I wouldn’t classify it as a restomod, I am just building the car that I want to have fun driving. And for what it is worth, I had this car built in my head long before restomods got their name.

Sorry for the lenghty reply, but that was a lot to take in since last night. Sorry if I left anyone out, and will go back and respond to others now. :beerchug:

No problem Sal, anything I can do to cause a little confusion, lol

About the tire rub, I shouldn’t have much of an issue. The traction bars I built already stiffened the ride up tremendouly and reduced the suspension travel a lot

Coys do a really nice decent priced Shelby style rim in poished, brushed, chrome, etc:

I like these retro style rims by American Racing as well:

They do look pretty sweet on your car, but now I am wondering how they will look on a bright red car. Oh, and I do like the American Racing version much better, I hadn’t noticed the difference in depth before.

If I were to get those wheels, I would get the grey center, I am just not crazy about the way they look in full polished.

Thanks man, but I at least need to get my ass to work and make it all one color one day.

They Do look sweet, and I really like the look. I had thought about doing the steel wheels with the dogdish hubcap like Don did with the black primered CJ he sold a while back, but they just wouldn’t work with my final plans. They would look really good while I have it in black primer though.

Yet another example of how out-of-step I am. I LOVE the Spyder Mags, was a fan even before I learned of the Fast Eddy Cougar connection. BTW, if anyone out there has any nice Spyder Wheel center caps they’d be willing to part with, let’s make a deal!

Mike, is this the look your going for ?

Mike-
How do you feel about blacked out centers to match scoop/stripes?

I have always kinda liked the Salt Flat Special:

Ridler makes some nice looking wheels. The 675:

My personal favorite Ridler, the 695:

**EDIT:**Just reread the whole thread again and caught the silver stripes. Although the black out would blend with the scoop/spoiler, I think the polished look would probably blend with the stripes a little better. Of course,either of the Ridlers might give you a way to match both…As for your initial two selections in the first post: IMHO not very many wheels out there that beat the Torque Thrust!!!

Coy (http://www.coyswheel.com/) also makes some nice looking wheels.

If the link works here is a page with a nice looking set on a '70 Cougar, with an interesting stripe job:

http://www.coyswheel.com/g_fordvehicles.html#

Coys are nice…that’s what’s on the back of mine, and the fronts will be matched soon. C5’s.

I thought you had bought some TT’s you could not pass the deal up on?

Yup, and only got the fronts. The backs were a “test” number, to see if they SHOULD make that size(18x9, woulda been PERFECT)…so, three months in, they finally fessed up. Azzhats. So, went with Coys on the back, close enough match to the fronts until I get around to replacing them.

That sucks. Who were “they”?