427 GT-E Posted on autoevolution

Augusta Green 427 GT-E found and posted on autoevolution website.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/this-1968-mercury-cougar-gt-e-427-is-a-rare-bird-144105.html#

https://fordauthority.com/2020/05/super-rare-1968-mercury-cougar-gt-e-427-found-in-storage/

Nice looking car. I hope it is in the registry. The comments are wildly inaccurate. The GT-E was available at the introduction of the 1968 model year. It was not introduced mid - year as the statement says.

Beside being a terribly written article, if “Fast N’ Loud” does restomod it, I’d be happy to take the cast-away original parts off their hands. I do hope they don’t butcher that car.

Seems a complete waste of what appears to be a very solid car

I sincerely hope the Ass Monkeys don’t ruin it.

Agree, don’t let those guys touch it!
They do more harm than good.

I wouldn’t let them touch a bicycle

You said it Al, but I’m afraid we both know what will end up happening to it >.<

…and we’ll be cast as “The Purists.”

Looking at the pics I think it reasonable to assume it has what’s left of a black vinyl top, and dark interior as opposed to saddle, ivy gold, or parchment. Can’t tell if it had XR-7 badge on the C pillar.

Exploring the matches on the Registry itself, we have only 3 potential cars, and later today I’ll look at the Master Record for additional information and pictures.

Looking to the production information itself there are 3 more possibilities as yet unaccounted for originally sold: 1 in Quebec; 1 in Rochester, NY; and 1 from Santa Ana, CA. Without more information on the pictured GT-E, such as of course the last six digits of the vin itself, or the current location, etc., etc. we may not be able to identify “which” GT-E this is. If anyone out there has more information on this GT-E, please contact me.

Jim Pinkerton
Cougar GT-E Registrar

Well, oddly enough the Instagram link has been removed, LOL.

Was it because Cougar “purists” were slamming the Fast 'n Loud crowd? Or people trying to buy and save this GT-E before it gets butchered?

Looks like the Instagram post was deleted.

I would think that the Registrar (or someone representing the GTE Registry and / or CCOA) could contact Gas Monkey Garage and try to get some details on this car. I’m sure they know how rare it is, but they may not know that a Registry exists for these cars.

My dad was contacted by a friend in AZ asking if we were interested in this car. This was before it ended up on Instagram. I exchanged messages with Shane (the guy who made the post) and he said his dad found the car in NM. It is an XR-7 427 NOM and ask price was $50k. I do not have the full VIN or any other pics. I do have the ph# of the guy who offered it to us and he viewed the car in person 2 weeks ago

A visit would be good if it could be arranged - at least to get a visit to document the car in its current condition, get details and pictures since most will be erased in the days or months to come

Don’t know anyone that works at the shop/show anymore

Sean,
Photos of the car prior to the restoration would be fantastic if you could contact the person who inspected it for you. What kept you and your dad from picking it up?

Gavin
www.CougarClub.org
:paw_prints:

Hi Gavin. I should’ve been more clear on the situation. A guy we’ve dealt with previously informed us the car was available for purchase for a specific price. I was interested but there are other cars on my list that take priority over a GT-E (mainly 4 speeds). Also have been prioritizing investment on parts for my Eliminator as well as on shop equipment. I then found out that the car was offered, from the owner, for a lower price, meaning our contact wanted a hefty finders fee (10%). We passed on it and I just found out today that the owner has supposedly changed his mind on selling :whistle:… Holding out for bigger money?

Not to derail the thread, but curious what a typical finders fee might be? 10% doesn’t seem unreasonable to me, but maybe it’s well above the norm.

Huh. Sounds like I don’t get paid nearly enough…

I’d be shocked to hear you actually charge anybody. :smiley: