68 R Code

Just enough to get it to downshift. I need to get it aligned and one more go around on the brakes before I unleash the beast. Some instruments would be nice too…

Bet you had a good :dance: of relief when the trans shifted though all the gears ok. Celebration beer while your washing it :beerchug:

Congratulations. The checklist must be getting real short now.

I told you that you could do that transmission! Congratulations!

That’s what I’m talkin bout

Three cheers!!! We’re all giddy for you!!!

Awesome! Congrats, Royce!

:paw_prints:

Outstanding news! Congratulations!

www.CougarClub.org
:paw_prints:

Nice work! Thats my favorite part of the project, seeing all your hard work pay off.

Well done!

Woo Hoo! Nice!

I eyeballed the alignment, set it as close as I could, and took it to the alignment shop today, a drive of about 5 miles. They put it on the four wheel laser alignment machine. Had to adjust the LH tie rod one turn and the LH strut two turns - I had it pretty close. Afterwards I drove home and played with idle speed and fixed the PS belt that was too loose.

Took it to a deserted three lane divided road and romped on it hard - it really goes, second gear gets rubber on both rear wheels. Let off after the 1-2 shift as the speed limit was only 45 LOL…

Took the RH rear wheel trim to a local polish shop today. I have NOS trim for the other three. Still waiting on the bumpers from the chrome shop. Still waiting on the dash to come back from New Jersey. I have a list of discrepancies to work on, about 20 items, most of them minor.

Good news. I’m still hoping you’re going to shoot some video for us. It’s kind of far to go to Dallas to see it in person.

I would drive to Dallas to see it when its done…

Ok, half of the reason is I just want to get away from the snow, freezing rain and Polar Vortex’s.

I hear they have good steak in Texas.

Royce who are you using in NJ for your dash ?

Yes we do! I went to Bob’s Chop House last week. Nothing like that outside Texas…

Instrument Specialties.

IS called today - the dash is being shipped back completed!!! Now for the bumpers…

The dash chrome parts came on Friday from Instrument Specialties. I have to say the work was flawless. The plastic chrome is deep and rich, and the semi gloss black / satin finish is also exactly as it should be. All the areas that were originally robin’s egg blue were also flawless. With that in hand I had a lot to do this weekend.

The first job was carefully cleaning the dash woodgrain pieces. I used 91% rubbing alcohol and it did a fine job of removing all the nicotine. Next I used brown shoe polish to bring back the faded color. Bear in mind my wood grained parts were virtually perfect, if yours are not so nice you probably need to buy the woodgrain kit sold by WCCC.

I wet sanded all the stamped metal trim rings with 400 wet or dry sandpaper, then cleaned them with alcohol and shot them with Krylon Semi flat black.